Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Anyone have some experience with this?

evillemperor

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone have some experience with this?

I was looking to buy a 1.4 extender for my lens/camera (I owns the T2i, 70-200 2.8 IS, and I get to use my schools 7D almost every weekend. I am the "adoptive father.") I was looking at the Canon ones, but they are too expensive for me. But I came across the Kenko Pro 300, which is only $250. Not only that, but if the lens/converter combo is above f8, not only can it autofocus with no reduction in speed, but also you can still select different points! I would probably get it for Christmas (just recently got the 430 EX II and am in debt to my parents). Does anyone have experience with both the Canon and Kenko?

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:03 PM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone have some experience with this?

My guess is that you're going to find that Canon glass is always sharper than off-brand. Why not go for a first or second generation used 1.4x from Canon? You should be able to pick up a good one used for $250.

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:34 PM
sharp45
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone have some experience with this?

I bought a refurbished Canon 1.4 from my local camera shop, no regrets!

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Skwirnmn
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone have some experience with this?

I just picked up a 1.4x II for 230 here. I'm almost positive you'll be happier with the canon as opposed to the kenko pro 300.

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:58 AM
capitalK
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone have some experience with this?

My biggest concern with the Kenko isn't the glass, it's the plastic body construction. It may be strong enough to support a 70-200mm f/2.8 but if you ever upgraded to anything bigger I have serious doubts and may even damage your camera mount over time with the lens you have.

I would use the Kenko with something like a Canon 55-250mm plastic body lens or something like that. With an L I wouldn't use anything less than the Canon TC.

Sep 17, 2012 at 07:20 AM
Snap96

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone have some experience with this?

I recently purchased the Kenko 1.4x Pro 300 DGX for Nikon and couldn't be happier. Using it with the 70-200 VR1 and have not seen any IQ of focus issues. Hopefully Trenchmonkey ses this since he has a great deal more experience using the Kenkos. Also, take a look at Kea Photo and pick one up brand new for less than $175.

Paul

Sep 17, 2012 at 08:27 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone have some experience with this?

What are you shooting? Any low light situations?

Sep 17, 2012 at 09:55 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone have some experience with this?

One other thing to point out. You likely won't have much luck getting the 7D to AF at the F8 level, even with the pin tape trick. I have the Kenko 2x and thought it was quite decent. It did have CA when shooting backlit images.

Guy

Sep 17, 2012 at 05:03 PM
evillemperor

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone have some experience with this?

Hello everyone, and thank you. I actually forgot I posted here! I shoot almost everything (football, soccer, basketball, baseball, ect so yes, mostly low light) I use a monopod for my 70-200 if that means anything. I heard in some instances that it actually was slightly sharper and faster for AF than Canon. Anyone with experience?

Oct 02, 2012 at 11:42 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.