Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              145      
       147              193       194       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.146 #1 · p.146 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

douglasf13 wrote:
Tariq, I used a couple of different generic caps on my RX1 before my UV filter arrived, and I didn't have any issues.

Strange that the caps I have laying around - an old Pentax 49mm plastic cap was one - seem to have an issue. The caps seem to mechanically be interfering in some way with that ring around the front lens element. It's interesting that the Sony metal cap is perfectly flat/smooth with no protrusions on the underside. Maybe I just haven't tried the right kind of cheap cap.

Jun 19, 2013 at 03:45 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.146 #2 · p.146 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Well, I figured out what was the problem with the LCD. When I got the camera, I thought it was strange for Sony to use such a grainy lcd on such an expensive camera. Today, I looked carefully and it turns out to be the protective plastic left on the camera. I wasn't sure if it was plastic or not, but once I pried it off, images became much clearer.

Also, I found the RX1 has a Sunny Weather setting for the LCD. That made a huge difference in the brightness.

Jun 19, 2013 at 06:47 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.146 #3 · p.146 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I am having great success with the step down ring hood idea and a 51mm push on lens cap, I dislike the sqeezy pinch caps. The Gariz half case and. Markins QR plate - fitted to the metal base of the half case - makes hand holding secure, a pleasure really. You do have to hold the body in the right hand and cradle the lens in the left hand.

I would prefer the aperture ring gnurling to be 45 degrees anti clockwise from where it is now but it is not too bad. The AF is tremendous in very low light if you give it time. ISO 8000-10000 at f2 and 1/60 is no problem.. It just 'burns' the subject with a burst of red light and bob's your uncle. What a devastating low light camera it is. Very happy am I.

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.146 #4 · p.146 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

philip_pj wrote:
I am having great success with the step down ring hood idea and a 51mm push on lens cap, I dislike the sqeezy pinch caps. The Gariz half case and. Markins QR plate - fitted to the metal base of the half case - makes hand holding secure, a pleasure really...

I'm very happy as well with the RX1. You have to tweak it though to make it more comfortable to use. Your half case is more stylish than the RRS grip I use but they are there for the same reasons I guess. The ArcaSwiss plates are integrated with the grip (I have the L-part fitted all the time) so the bottom part is smooth on mine and the camera stands nicely on it. Like you I have a step down ring for hood. I placed two empty filter rings between the lens and thep down ring for improved shading.
The aperture ring is a bit slippery from start. Looking at it from the bottom there is no knurling. I placed a strip of friction tape there making it possible to adjust the aperture by one finger now (by moving the left middle finger from left to right applying a slight pressure on the tape).
Yes, it's a pleasure. So is the tilting viewfinder, a great feature which I missed going from the Nex-5n to the Olympus E-M5. Now I miss the tilting LCD instead but that is sometimes only as I'm a viewfinder sort of shooter.

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:26 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.146 #5 · p.146 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Is there anyway to zone focus with this thing? I wish they'd implement a digital distance scale like the Fujis. Any reason why this couldn't be implemented via firmware?

Jun 23, 2013 at 05:53 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.146 #6 · p.146 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

ricardovaste wrote:
Is there anyway to zone focus with this thing? I wish they'd implement a digital distance scale like the Fujis. Any reason why this couldn't be implemented via firmware?

Its got a scale (though no DoF indicator) when in MF mode. Really isn't that well marked, but then again, my X100 proved pretty useless given how conservative its scale was.

Pretty easy to just simply AF on something a given distance away, say 6 feet, and then switch to MF mode

Even on other systems where I have lenses with more accurate scales, I generally just use the same AF at an estimated distance and then switch to manual, works quite well in actual usage.

Jun 23, 2013 at 06:35 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.146 #7 · p.146 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

While still on vacation in the Caribbean, got some internet access in Nassau so naturally some time on the net and FM is a nice vacation from vacation (how much time can one really spend sipping tropical drinks and laying in the sun right?)

Thought I'd share a few thoughts and findings on the RX1 as its been working on my trip, paired with a RX100 as the only other camera I took along, being that this is really the first real world usage my RX1 has been getting.

First and foremost, the size/weight has been amazing and also sometimes annoying. I tried a few straps such as an AA cotton one but found I like my Black Rapid the best. The camera just really falls naturally to my side on it and the bottom connection just stays out of the way for any shooting position. The whole rig is just so lightweight you hardly know its there and you can walk around with it all day in 90 degree Jamaican heat with no worries (irie). HOWEVER, there are times/places where you don't want to have a visible camera, and/or just want to be able to better protect it from sand at the beach etc, and the RX1 just isn't pocketable. There have been a good number of times I ended up leaving it behind and using just the RX100 since I could slip it into my pocket. Now this isn't unique to the RX1 as a Fuji, NEX etc also would pose the same problems, but there have been a lot of times when I'm torn on either dealing with the camera or leaving it behind. When you do carry it though, its about as unobtrusive as possible.

It also draws very little attention with no one giving it a second glance or seeming to know what it is. I usually would hand the RX100 off though when someone offered to take a photo for me as I don't want to watch a well being waiter or fellow tourist accidentally drop something as pricey as the RX1.

High ISO ability has really been wonderful as well in that I was able to go walking Ocean Blvd in Miami Beach one night and shoot handheld and get pretty acceptable files at 6400. Lower would of been better but given the car and pedestrian traffic in South Beach, good luck trying to set that up. Focus would hunt for a second then lock a lot of times on the neon buildings but for the style of shooting I was doing, no real issues.

I've been getting a lot of use from the pop-up flash as well. Anytime I'm trying to do a portrait shot with a sunset in the background etc, the fill it provides is really valuable. Around the house I often don't think its a feature I use, and didn't mine on my XPro etc lacking it, but when your in the real world doing photos on the town at night, sunsets etc, proves really handy for any and all backlit situations, even on the beach in full sun.

I'm also making lots of use of the sweep pano feature. Its been working so well, and is so quick and easy, I've done zero manual pano's to stitch later. Sony has really gotten the bugs worked out since they introduced this and I have very little issues with ghosting or banding, even some ocean waves work pretty well. So nice being able to just spin the mode dial to pano and give it a try on lots of different scenes.

This mode isn't new to me, as I love it on the RX100 as well, but darn if the watercolor creative style doesn't keep wowing me. It was a real blast to use for the art deco buildings on South Beach and just turns the images into what looks like a real timeless work of art. Sony really nailed it and the in camera processing best any PS plugin I've owned to date. Equally fun on sunsets, palm tree's, you name it. Funny spending this type of $$$ for a RX1 and then shooting watercolor shots but when it works, it works.

Video isn't the best as I've heard mentioned before, and I'm actually using the RX100 more for video as it just plain works better. Not a real issue for me as I didn't buy the RX1 for video but still a bit of a surprise that its not better given how good the camera is otherwise. If your thinking you can replace a 5D mkIII or something with the RX1, DON"T DO IT, just isn't a good video camera even though it does have some specs that look good on paper.

I really wish the camera had a build in ND filter. Not a big deal in Ohio, but when its sunny every day here, you need one, as otherwise I'm always hitting the shutter speed limit and I do like keeping the Zeiss lens wide open a lot for subject separation.

I'm actually thinking of getting another Mag Filter, like I use on the RX100, and trying that on the RX1 so I don't have to thread/unthread a 3 stop ND all the time. Probably my biggest issue with the camera on this trip. I put it on for shooting at the beach and such, but then maybe will be in the shade at a beach bar during lunch and forget it on and shoot at a higher ISO than I need.

Not a deal breaker but just would of been nice to have it built in is all......

I also picked up the EVF at a Sony store even though I do rather like the Voigtlander 35mm. Surprisingly been using the EVF or LCD more than the OVF on this trip as I've been really taking to using the EVF flipped up. Really useful for lower level beach shots and for night shots, with the RX1's AF, the OVF just felt a bit hit or miss as I didn't know if I locked onto a building or not. Plus when it comes to things like sunset shots, having the real time exposure preview in the EVF is handy for adjusting the EC to my liking. I did of course have to tape it to make sure it stays on as that is a well known fault of the thing.

All and all though, the camera has worked really well and some of the images it produces are just exceptional and I'd of never thought would of been possible from anything short of my FF DSLR's.

RX1 really does give you some serious high end IQ from something that is almost as easy to carry as a P&S.

Its just not clean high ISO files, or a shallower DoF than other compact solutions, its the overall look of the focal transition, pop and way of rendering too. You take a shot wide open shot of your sig. other on pretty beach and it doesn't look like a travel snapshot, it looks like a portrait, yet I didn't have to bring any of my serious (and heavy) gear to achieve it. Unreal what Sony has managed to pack into such a compact little body.

Far from a cheap camera for travel, but IMHO its really worth the money for anyone looking for a readily portable solution that can deliver some IQ that is really second to none.

RX100 also has continued to be just the best true pocket camera I've owned as well, with its 1" 20meg sensor and 28-100mm equiv lens punching well above the weight of something you'd expect to slip into any pants pocket.

Will post some images when I'm back to my home PC and internet access, but thought some still on the fence might like hearing how well the RX1 fared for the purpose that I bought it for, and that was to get some really nice shots while traveling with a minimal gear setup

Jun 23, 2013 at 08:46 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.146 #8 · p.146 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Nice to read your thoughts millsart. We are here in Ladakh and the RX1 is right at home shooting monasteries, interiors and scapes such that it has accounted for 80% of my output. I am gaining access to secret chambers which would be impossible with a DSLR,and the 'great in any light' AF polishes off the shots with cold but so effective efficiency. It's a total revelation, IQ is amazingly good. I do wish for better battery life, esp using Indian power supplies.

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:46 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.146 #9 · p.146 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Given there is a rumour that Carl Zeiss are dropping the 'Carl' it's good to see the full name on the RX1 lens. Apparently Karl Jung changed the spelling of his christian name to 'Carl', not sure about the man Carl Zeiss. Sad to me if true as I like personal brand names, and they have been in business almost since Adam was a boy - 1846.

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:18 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.146 #10 · p.146 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

millsart wrote:
Its got a scale (though no DoF indicator) when in MF mode. Really isn't that well marked, but then again, my X100 proved pretty useless given how conservative its scale was.

Pretty easy to just simply AF on something a given distance away, say 6 feet, and then switch to MF mode

Even on other systems where I have lenses with more accurate scales, I generally just use the same AF at an estimated distance and then switch to manual, works quite well in actual usage.

Thanks!

I see what you're describing now. So we only have 1m, 3m, infinity?

http://2.static.img-dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx1/images/screens/Magnified-LV.png?v=2248

Whilst not completely useless, it's not exactly ideal. I've also read that the manual focus distance resets each time you turn it on / off - correct?

These are two things which are surely correctable via firmware. I hope they implement it.

Adding up the cost of shooting film with my little RF again . Not sure how much longer I can justify it. One of the things I love is pre-focusing and shooting and smaller apertures so you can be really quick.

I understand the workaround of the pre-focusing with AF, but sometimes that can be quite slow. And, if you're turning the camera off to save battery... you're going to lose that pre-focused position.

Seems like many of the minor complaints people have could be solved by simply adding a bit of a grip to it, and in turn adding a larger battery in that space

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:25 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.146 #11 · p.146 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

philip_pj wrote:
Nice to read your thoughts millsart. We are here in Ladakh and the RX1 is right at home shooting monasteries, interiors and scapes such that it has accounted for 80% of my output. I am gaining access to secret chambers which would be impossible with a DSLR,and the 'great in any light' AF polishes off the shots with cold but so effective efficiency. It's a total revelation, IQ is amazingly good. I do wish for better battery life, esp using Indian power supplies.

Its a pretty small power cell for sure, which I guess is the largest they can fit into the compact body size. I always managed to have it last all day on me even though it would get down to one bar on the meter and sometimes worry me a little. Luckily knowing I could pull the battery from my RX100 was nice though as I otherwise had no spares with me.

One nice thing with the RX1 I found though was that it pretty much gets the shot the first time. With a lot of other cameras I've used in the past, I often would feel the need to bracket the exposures and such but the RX1 metering and WB (if using just jpegs) have proved to be really reliable and its got such a wide DR you can even recover some over/under exposures. Same with the AF, while its not fast, it seems quite accurate. I find that I'm taking a lot less overall images with it but a higher percentage of what I do shoot is a "keeper".

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:30 AM
twoeye
• • •
p.146 #12 · p.146 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Having used the RX1 for a couple of months, a slight color shift surfaces in my images from time to time. With most subjects it is unnoticeable, buth with images with large evenly grey or lightly colored areas it is. One example below, corners have in my opinion a rather pronounced greenish tint, strongest on the left side:

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41926915/WEB%20versjoner%20EXIF/DSC00940-1200%20EXIF%20CS.jpg

My quick and dirty fix is the new radial filter in LR:
I apply a radial filter of oval shape, all sides touching the image edges.
Temp 10
Tint 12
Feather: 50

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41926915/WEB%20versjoner%20EXIF/DSC00940-1200%20EXIF%20CS%20corrected.jpg

I could of course have chosen a more neutral subject, but my results with this fix is consistent with all my problematic images, also neutral white test shots. My colour shift varies little with aperture or focus distance.

Again, this is only noticable in some images, but i wonder if anyone else is experiencing a similar colour shift, or if there is sample variations regarding this. Opinions would be appreciated!

Edited on Jun 27, 2013 at 05:56 AM · View previous versions

Jun 27, 2013 at 05:46 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.146 #13 · p.146 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I also just use Lightroom when I notice color shift in my images (like in blue skies). I think all RX1's have some color shift, depending on the scene, light,...

Jun 27, 2013 at 05:51 AM
tulaev
• •
p.146 #14 · p.146 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

The difference between RX1 and RX1R:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51709342

Jun 27, 2013 at 08:08 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.146 #15 · p.146 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

As someone who would like to buy an RX1 at some point I can't say the RX1R would be of any real interest. From what I've read here, people have been extremely complimentary of the RX1's detail rendering and overall IQ, so introducing the possibility of moire is only a negative for me. I think they're just trying to use the sensor more, perhaps, or just attract more nerds (and I mean that in the nicest possible way!) to the camera.

No harm done as such, but I'd much prefer a different focal length!

Jun 27, 2013 at 08:47 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.146 #16 · p.146 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

twoeye wrote:
My quick and dirty fix is the new radial filter in LR:
I apply a radial filter of oval shape, all sides touching the image edges.
Temp 10
Tint 12
Feather: 50

Is this new feature in LR5? That is a very useful tool, I have to use brush manually do this before.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:11 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.146 #17 · p.146 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

The AF might be a major factor in battery life, millsart, it really has to work hard at times in low light. I also find it works much better if I hold the camera very steady in the hand as it acquires focus.

Another good thing is that the EVF gives great feedback of focus acquisition. A small beef for me as I seek to sneak grab shots is the tinkle the AF makes - sad as the leaf shutter is just perfect, even I often do not hear it. I will need a soft release though, even if camera shake is largely absent at, for me, 1/80 second ss. The AF has won me over, and macro is another benefit, given the bokeh.

Now imagine if they made say an 80mm vsn of the same ultra quality and AF quality, with bokeh to match.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM
twoeye
• • •
p.146 #18 · p.146 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

zhangyue wrote:
Is this new feature in LR5? That is a very useful tool, I have to use brush manually do this before.

Yes it is new in LR5, and very suitable for these kind of corrections as it leaves the center of the image as it is, and adjusts color towards the edges.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:39 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.146 #19 · p.146 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

twoeye wrote:
Yes it is new in LR5, and very suitable for these kind of corrections as it leaves the center of the image as it is, and adjusts color towards the edges.

Just out of curiosity, do you have shading correction set to "off" in your camera's menu?

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:49 PM
twoeye
• • •
p.146 #20 · p.146 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

douglasf13 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, do you have shading correction set to "off" in your camera's menu?

Yes, I tried both on and off and with regards to the colour shift I could not see any difference in the RAW-files.

(It has been set to off for the last month including image above.))

Edited on Jun 27, 2013 at 11:59 PM · View previous versions

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:16 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.