New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Software for viewing + deleting

CanonShooter88
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Software for viewing + deleting

I'm in the process of moving from PC to Mac. What software program do you use to view and delete the photos you don't want to keep?

I tried the standard iPhoto, which was great for viewing, but when I delete a photo, it only removes it from the library (not the computer).

As a sports photographer, I need a way to go through hundreds / thousands of photos from an event and quickly delete the ones I don't want.

Believe it or not, the Windows Photo Viewer that comes with the OS worked just fine for that

Sep 09, 2012 at 10:09 AM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Software for viewing + deleting

The one most often used for professionals is 'Photo Mechanic' by CameraBits. Quite expensive though but if you're going through that many images, it may be worth it to you.

Sep 09, 2012 at 10:28 AM
CanonShooter88
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Software for viewing + deleting

Thanks Howard; I'm looking for inexpensive / free. Essentially "view, then arrow key or delete key" is all I'll be doing.

Sep 09, 2012 at 12:27 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Software for viewing + deleting

oh, you can do that w/ the normal Mac Preview application. Just open the folder w/ the images, then do an Open With .... (select Preview), then there is a Contact Sheet function (not required to use), select your duds and then do a Move Selected Images to Trash

Sep 09, 2012 at 12:44 PM
CanonShooter88
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Software for viewing + deleting

Perfect; I just tried it! I set it up with thumbnails going down the left side and "Command + Delete" moves to trash. I wanted something that is all keyboard based, so that works well. Thanks a bunch!

Sep 09, 2012 at 01:22 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Software for viewing + deleting

CanonShooter88 wrote:
I'm in the process of moving from PC to Mac. What software program do you use to view and delete the photos you don't want to keep?

I tried the standard iPhoto, which was great for viewing, but when I delete a photo, it only removes it from the library (not the computer).

As a sports photographer, I need a way to go through hundreds / thousands of photos from an event and quickly delete the ones I don't want.

Believe it or not, the Windows Photo Viewer that comes with the OS worked just fine for that

If you don't mind spending the money, you can't go wrong with LR4. It's a breeze to go through hundreds of images and delete them off the HD if need be. Once imported, I go through my files and if I want to delete one I simply hit the x key. Once i'm through looking at them I hit control/command and back key. This will bring up a window where LR will give you the option to remove all the marked images from LR, or delete them from the HD. It's a great system!

Sep 09, 2012 at 02:33 PM
CanonShooter88
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Software for viewing + deleting

Hey Leighton - thanks for your response! I'm looking into Lightroom!

Sep 09, 2012 at 07:59 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Software for viewing + deleting

Although I've been a Lightroom user since its initial beta over six years ago, I disagree with the suggestion of using it to cull photos. Because it is a database, you're forced to wait while the software "imports" your photos then generates previews. Based on the size of the shoot the wait could be substantial. By comparison, file browsers like BreezeBrowser Pro, Photo Mechanic, Adobe Bridge, etc. do not require waiting so you can go about the task of culling images immediately. I personally use BreezeBrowser Pro for culling but its not available for Macs.

Also, unless you're willing to rename files after culling (and possibly mismatching your backup files) there will be gaps in your file naming/numbering system. Not ideal for the OCD/anal retentive types. So my suggestion is that if you use Lightroom for DAM and processing, do the initial culling outside of it then import the "keepers."

Sep 09, 2012 at 11:34 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Software for viewing + deleting

Lightroom for me.
I just go thru my files after the import and flag them either x (reject) or p ( pick ) . Afterwards rejects are moved to a regects folder which I periodically clear out .
I do it that way as I have found that on occasion even though I have selected to delete from the hard drive that some of my deleted files were still present on the hard drive (though not in Lightroom) . I will say that I've not noticed the problem in LR4 , but wether that's due to Lr4 or my higher spec machine I'm using now I dont know.

Also another reason I cull this way is it gives me a chance to go thru the rejects and make sure I havnt rejected something that is a pick.

Oh and maybe I'm just not of the 'Anal' type . But great holes in my file numbering bother me not one bit

Sep 10, 2012 at 01:09 AM
CanonShooter88
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Software for viewing + deleting

Good info, thanks! Now time for me to learn something new: "culling" = _________?

Sep 10, 2012 at 02:47 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.