Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       11       12       end

Archive 2012 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

leftcoastlefty
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

How bad is the light falloff on the 15mm? I thought it would be pretty good with the 95mm front filter, but the vignetting test on The Digital Picture looks horrible:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Vignetting-Test-Results.aspx?FLI=0&API=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0&Lens=794&Camera=453&LensComp=412

I was thinking this lens would be dandy for night sky shots, shot wide open. Maybe not.

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:55 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Hereby a HDR processed by NIK HDR Efex pro. I am not sure what to think of it, but I didn't see a reason not to post it. The unsharpness seen here at some points is a result of the HDR processing. Some other HDR processed pictures were sharp from corner to corner. But it is interesting to see what is possible with HDR-processing. My son liked it, but I am not sure.

And this is a more natural look of the same HDR:

Feb 07, 2013 at 07:13 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

I like the more natural looking version, but everyone has their own taste. The second "seems" sharper too.

-Tim

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:36 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

It looks like two different species of wood in the two shots, not only due to different color. The stone pillar veins pop more in the first version but as a whole the second one looks more natural.

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:17 AM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

leftcoastlefty wrote:
How bad is the light falloff on the 15mm? I thought it would be pretty good with the 95mm front filter, but the vignetting test on The Digital Picture looks horrible:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Vignetting-Test-Results.aspx?FLI=0&API=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0&Lens=794&Camera=453&LensComp=412

I was thinking this lens would be dandy for night sky shots, shot wide open. Maybe not.

As usual, you need to discriminate between lens performance and lens + sensor + algorithm performance. The Zeiss specs for the D15/2.8 are crystal clear: 2.3 stops of illumination fall-off in the extreme corner at f/2.8. Light fall-off is not subject to sample variation, so the 4.5 stops presented by The Digital Picture is not the lens performance. (I presume the contours are given in stops; the explanation page is unavailable.)

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:36 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

FWIW, the Op/Tech Large Hood Hat makes a nice little cover for the front of the lens...if you want to ditch the metal cap in certain situations. It even stretches to fit over the metal cap as well.

-Tim

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:24 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

tsdevine wrote:
FWIW, the Op/Tech Large Hood Hat makes a nice little cover for the front of the lens...if you want to ditch the metal cap in certain situations. It even stretches to fit over the metal cap as well.

-Tim

Thanks. I will order that.

Feb 09, 2013 at 11:11 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

I like using a CP/ND combo for waterfall photography. No matter how thin the two filters, I would get vignetting in the corners. Even with a combo of a Marumi Super DHG and B+W Slim ND, which were the thinnest 2 solutions I could find, I'd still get vignetting.

I sort of gave up for the winter as I don't shoot much, but now that spring is here I renewed my efforts. With the help of Schneider US, I had the glass removed from the slim ND in the hope that the thin retaining ring might allow me to mount the glass directly to the front of the CP. Unfortunately, that ring was a slightly narrower diameter than the front filter threads of the CP. So, I bought some UHU TAC and rolled it into a thin string. I put it around the thread area of the CP and attached the ND glass that way.

Voila...I now have a CP/ND4 combo, with NO vignetting.

FWIW, not sure anyone will care. But figured it was worth sharing.

-Tim

Edited on Apr 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM · View previous versions

Apr 20, 2013 at 08:44 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Very cool solution Tim

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:01 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Thanks burningheart!

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:57 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Testing my CP/ND .6 combo, not the best composition but I was more interested testing the filter setup. (Shot the scene with the 21 and a Sigma DP1M as well.)

I know it would be very specialized, but I wish some manufacturer would come up with CP/ND combos. Not a Vari-ND + CP solution that would most likely vignette with UWA on FF. But just a simple thin CP/ND combo.

http://photos.imageevent.com/devine/zeiss15andcanon1635ii/large/TSD_20130428_0785.jpg

-Tim

May 04, 2013 at 07:47 AM
rill

p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Hey, thanks for your help in the other thread. That looks nice...

Have you measured the thickness of the cpl you are using? I have found a Heliopan thin that is only 5mm, but I can't find the specs on the B+W thin. I have put a call into Singhray, but they are not sure if they're going to make anything in 95mm.

I'm sure Lee, Lucroit and Fotodiox will have system out at some point, but I would like to get the cpl filter soon.

I wonder who is making the filters for Zeiss?

Bill

May 04, 2013 at 08:45 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

I don't have a very precise way to measure...I'd put it somewhere between 5.5 and 6mm. I really needed the front threads, it gave me the ability to make my CP/ND combo. I would assume a 5mm solution wouldn't vignette, unless the ring configuration is weird.

I talked to Singh-Ray last fall as well, as of then they had no plans...I imagine the more people who ask, the more chance there will be one. Make sure the thin ones aren't stepping up to a larger diameter on the outer ring. Some of the filters marked ast extra wide step the front ring up to a larger diameter, which wouldn't work on the 15.

Don't know who is making the Zeiss filters, the one I have in 82mm is pretty nice.

Don't discount the Marumi out of hand....$150'ish can get you by if you are looking down the road to a possible Lee/Lecroit/Fotodiox solution.

-Tim

May 04, 2013 at 09:25 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

tsdevine wrote:
I don't have a very precise way to measure...I'd put it somewhere between 5.5 and 6mm. I really needed the front threads, it gave me the ability to make my CP/ND combo. I would assume a 5mm solution wouldn't vignette, unless the ring configuration is weird.

I talked to Singh-Ray last fall as well, as of then they had no plans...I imagine the more people who ask, the more chance there will be one. Make sure the thin ones aren't stepping up to a larger diameter on the outer ring. Some of the filters marked ast extra wide step the front
...Show more

I am not sure if Zeiss is making their own filters. I commented to the Zeiss Reps at PhotoPlus in October about their filters and B&W which are now owned by Zeiss and made of Schott Glass. The Zeiss Reps did not think that the B&W filters were as good as the Zeiss brand name.

Rich

Edited on May 04, 2013 at 10:23 AM · View previous versions

May 04, 2013 at 10:14 AM
rill

p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Yeah thanks, I caught the extra wide B+W filters, although they would be perfect with 112mm front threads if only the petals weren't on this hood. I think I'm going to call skgrimes on Mon. to see about having the hood cut down. I don't think Zeiss will sell enough of these 15mm lenses to warrant any kind of factory hood removal option.

Bill

May 04, 2013 at 10:15 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Report back what you end up doing, that's definitely hard core....but opens up a wide range of possibilities.

-Tim

May 04, 2013 at 11:11 AM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Some news from Zeiss about the ability to use Lee-filters:

We will offer a solution for the new Distagon T* 2,8/15 with the filter thread but the lens shade removed. Right at the moment we've finished the mechanical design and the specifications behind the production processes.
This is not going to be an official product for the market. It is more of a service offer for our customers and only available at our global service point in Oberkochen, Germany.
The price and availability are not certain currently. Informations will be released as soon as possible.

Thanks and best regards,
Carl Zeiss Lenses Team

May 04, 2013 at 08:50 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

I guess that may be a solution for someone who has waited to pull the trigger, but I wonder how much of a premium they are going to charge. I think a current owner would REALLY have to want a non-shade version as they'd take somewhat of a loss selling their current lens and then pay a premium to get one without the shade (direct from Germany.)

-Tim

May 05, 2013 at 06:19 AM
rill

p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Is this only for new lenses purchased, or will they do the mod to an already purchased lens?

I really wish they would sell the shade separately...

May 05, 2013 at 12:33 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

My guess is that it is also available for already purchased lenses. I suppose they will remove the shade and replace it with a new filter-thread that also can have a separate shade. Just as with the other ZF/ZE lenses. But it will be expensive I think. I am not sure I will let it do.

May 05, 2013 at 04:23 PM
       11       12       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

11       12       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.