Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lens versions?

Luke Simpson
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Lens versions?

This may be a dumb question, but when lenses get upgraded (24mm 1.4L for example) are there markings on the lens to indicate that it is a mark II or version II etc?

I know date codes could provide that info most of the time, unless the code is from right around the time the new version was released.

Thanks in advance,
Luke

Sep 08, 2012 at 12:34 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Lens versions?

Well, yes, sort of......the version 2 comes with "II" stencilled on the lens. As far as version I is concerned, you are supposed to send them to Canon so that they can mark it as "I" with their special paint in order to avoid any confusion between versions.
I almost forgot to mention that Canon doesn't charge for that service, and you only have to pay for lens shipping/insurance.

Sep 08, 2012 at 12:39 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Lens versions?

PetKal wrote:
Well, yes, sort of......the version 2 comes with "II" stencilled on the lens. As far as version I is concerned, you are supposed to send them to Canon so that they can mark it as "I" with their special paint in order to avoid any confusion between versions.
I almost forgot to mention that Canon doesn't charge for that service, and you only have to pay for lens shipping/insurance.

Serious?

Sep 08, 2012 at 01:37 AM
Photon
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Lens versions?

RobertLynn wrote:
Serious?

Peter has a loose chainwheel - just look at his avatar.
However, what he said about the second versions always having "II" marked is correct. The same applies to cameras. The original 1D and 5D were labeled just that way, without "Mark I" or "Classic". For that matter, the same even goes for Star Trek!

Sep 08, 2012 at 01:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Lens versions?

The version I is nonsense as they doen't exist like that. There is a 24/1.4 and a 24/1.4 II, period.

EBH

Sep 08, 2012 at 02:08 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Lens versions?

Luke Simpson wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but when lenses get upgraded (24mm 1.4L for example) are there markings on the lens to indicate that it is a mark II or version II etc?

I know date codes could provide that info most of the time, unless the code is from right around the time the new version was released.

Thanks in advance,
Luke

yes for sure for major upgrades where it's a totally different lens, they just put II or what not on it

for things like the fixed 70-300 IS without portrait sag or 24-105 without internal glare, not really other than going by serial number

for rumored silent, subtle changes as in 100-400 early vs 100-400 late and such () nothing other than getting a date code safely more recent than when people claimed things seemed different (of course whether it is true, who knows)

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:07 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Lens versions?

Luke Simpson wrote:

Thanks in advance,
Luke

By the specs it is different lenses and even in hands you will have no mistake picking which is which. No need of any marks as for me.

Sep 08, 2012 at 06:53 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Lens versions?

You can always make your own mark if it befuddles you. A gold star works just well as a artfully placed scratch or hello kitty sticker.

Sep 08, 2012 at 07:30 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password