Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · different versions of 16-35mm Version 1?

bigbluebear
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · different versions of 16-35mm Version 1?

Hello,

I just saw two 16-35mm version 1 lenses. One was date coded UR while the other was date coded US. I noticed that the two had a slightly different MF/AF switch. The UR date code one was protruding while the US version was ribbed.

Just found it strange that the design of the lens would change. It's something I wasn't aware of and thought it'd be worth sharing. Maybe Canon had a slight redesign during the production of the 16-35mm version 1. Maybe we can call US date code and up the version 1.2

Sep 06, 2012 at 04:27 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · different versions of 16-35mm Version 1?

Many Canon USM lenses have been updated during their production life from the older raised switches to the newer ribbed, flat ones. The change is so minimal as not to be identified with a I or II. Presumably the change was based on feedback from the klutzy users who tend to accidentally move the older type of switches. I find the newer switches more difficult to use in general, and a real problem with gloves.

EBH

Sep 06, 2012 at 04:53 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · different versions of 16-35mm Version 1?

It's pretty common to make minor cosmetic and internal changes to lens models during the life of their production. Perhaps Canon located a better supplier for a component or tweaked the switch because customers complained it was prone to catch on clothing. I recall the EF 28-105 3.5-4.5 USM switched from 5 to 7 blade diaphragms without any fan fair or announcements. You may note all Canon product manuals have a legal disclaimer about their right to change specs and features.

Sep 06, 2012 at 05:02 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · different versions of 16-35mm Version 1?

So you've noticed it too! The newer design does look more updated but I can see how they are difficult to operate with gloves. However, I imagine cameras are equally difficult to operate with gloves

Sep 06, 2012 at 05:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · different versions of 16-35mm Version 1?

Gochugogi wrote:
It's pretty common to make minor cosmetic and internal changes to lens models during the life of their production. Perhaps Canon located a better supplier for a component or tweaked the switch because customers complained it was prone to catch on clothing. I recall the EF 28-105 3.5-4.5 USM switched from 5 to 7 blade diaphragms without any fan fair or announcements. You may note all Canon product manuals have a legal disclaimer about their right to change specs and features.

Who is manual and why am I reading him? Lol.

Sep 07, 2012 at 11:32 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · different versions of 16-35mm Version 1?

datousteve wrote:
Hello,

I just saw two 16-35mm version 1 lenses. One was date coded UR while the other was date coded US. I noticed that the two had a slightly different MF/AF switch. The UR date code one was protruding while the US version was ribbed.

My relatively newer UT has a protruding switch.

Sep 07, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · different versions of 16-35mm Version 1?

Gochugogi wrote:
I recall the EF 28-105 3.5-4.5 USM switched from 5 to 7 blade diaphragms without any fan fair or announcements.

well I dont know how much of a fanfair canon made about the change , but it was probably some. the 5 blade one is version 1

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/ef/data/standard_zoom/ef_28~105_35~45_usm.html

and the 7 blade one is version 2
http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/ef/data/standard_zoom/ef_28~105_35~45ii_usm.html

:

Sep 07, 2012 at 11:51 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · different versions of 16-35mm Version 1?

I guess mine is version 1.5; it has the old switch and 7 blades. Guess whose switch parts bin was full when they made the change...

Sep 07, 2012 at 11:58 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password