Archive 2012 · 1Dx Ethernet port connection

perfectpixel
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1Dx Ethernet port connection

Hi All,
First, I should state that I have not read the entire manual

Here's the question:

I was excited to be able to download files directly from the 1Dx to my PC using the ethernet card

So I got an ethernet cable stuck it in the camera, stuck the other end in an availale slot on my router, turned on the camera and expected to be able to browse to it using explorer or Bridge and fetch the images off of the card.
That did not work

What am I missing? Is this even possible?

Sep 05, 2012 at 08:12 PM
adamx12m
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1Dx Ethernet port connection

I thought you had to FTP into the camera, could be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere..

Sep 05, 2012 at 08:47 PM
perfectpixel
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1Dx Ethernet port connection

ah yes, I just got out the manual and enabled communication. Running the wizard and so far no go.
Just started, so any advice is appreciated. Hoping to setup FTP transfer, or just make it so I can browse to the files on the camera.
thanks

Sep 05, 2012 at 09:10 PM
chrisdee
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1Dx Ethernet port connection

There is no FTP server on camera, so you cannot "browse the files on the camera" via FTP. The FTP server software needs to be run on the computer, then camera can connect and transfer the files to it when shooting.

If you want to browse the images on the camera, you need to setup the "WFT server" on the 1dx, then you can connect from a PC via web browser.
Or you can setup the 1dx as a media server, then if your TV supports DLNA you can display photos on the TV directly without a PC involved.

Sep 05, 2012 at 09:42 PM
perfectpixel
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1Dx Ethernet port connection

Thanks for that.

WFT doesn't sound like what I need. I want to access the CF cards with windows explorer or Bridge, not the web browser.

So it sounds like I need to figure out how to setup an FTP server on my Wndows 7 PC

Sep 05, 2012 at 10:16 PM
chrisdee
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1Dx Ethernet port connection

It's not too much to it, I use this free one:
http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=server

Just configure it to save to a certain folder, then point Bridge/Lightroom to "monitor" that folder - then you have immediate display on the PC as you shoot.

Also Lightroom should be able to connect to the camera directly for remote shooting, but not sure if the Ethernet connection is enabled yet in the public release version.

Sep 05, 2012 at 10:21 PM
perfectpixel
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1Dx Ethernet port connection

Thank you again.
I'll look into that.
I'm not even talking about tethered shooting!. Just faster download of files without having to take the CF cards out

Sep 05, 2012 at 10:30 PM
chrisdee
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1Dx Ethernet port connection

If you want to avoid using the Canon software (which uses WFT server mode to download files, I think), you need to use FTP mode. However you may find this inconvenient for transferring existing files on the card because selecting which files to transfer is done on the camera interface, which is not as easy as using keyboard and mouse.

Best use for FTP mode is transfer of photos while you shoot, which requires no additional input from the user once it is set up, but it also requires the PC and connection to be up and running for the duration of the shoot (or at least you need to set up the transfer before you start shooting, then all the files will be uploaded to the PC when the connection is established later).

Sep 05, 2012 at 11:12 PM
bigrob

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1Dx Ethernet port connection

Has anybody got this running?

If so any help with settings would be appreciated.

I can get it working with a network cable and using EOS Utility but I want it transfer images as I shoot them.

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1Dx Ethernet port connection

According to the 1DX Wired LAN instruction manual, you can use the Ethernet port for;

FTP Transfer - using an FTP server
EOS Utility - to capture, review and download images remotely
WFT Server - let you use a web browser to capture, view, and download images remotely
Media Server - to view images on an DLNA-compatible TV or other device

Looks kludgy, life the WiFi transfer b.s.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1Dx Ethernet port connection

I was all excited about this on my 1DX as well.

But it's not what I was hoping for.

I, like you, was hoping to just be able to plug it in and browse my camera for photos. Nope.

I was forced to run EOS Utility, and it requires going through a LOT of settings on the camera, next, ok, next, yes, ok, next, next, next, next... kinda got ridiculous so I gave up on the thought of using it very much if at all. Yes, you'll get some pretty decent transfer speeds, but to go through all of that every time just isn't feasible.

The only thing that ethernet port will be handy for is remote shooting/remote control. You could run an ethernet cable for an extremely long distance and still have control of the camera.

Apr 26, 2013 at 08:22 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.