Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lambency Diffuser with Chrome Vault??

Jos Tesseract
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lambency Diffuser with Chrome Vault??

I've been using a Lambency Diffuser for a while now, generally opting for either the white dome or in cases where I forgot it, no dome at all. I rarely use the orange dome as I find it to be rather limited in the environments I shoot in (clubs/bars lit up with red/orange bulbs or tungstens turned down low)

Obviously, a blue dome would be a good idea for me to get... BUT!

I'm wondering about the Chrome Vault domes (CVD) I see on FleaBay. They usually have a hole in the center. Trying to do some research on the effect of CVD's hasn't helped me at all.

I'm imagining that, with the centre cut out, I would be able to use the Lambency in the flash's neutral position and the cut-out would allow 1/4 of the light to exit the flash directly, while the other 3/4s does the usual for a Lambency and at the same time, renders an effect which could be considered the opposite of a ring-flash/beauty dish(?)

So, I have a few questions...
1) Can anyone tell me what the advantages are to using one?
2) Are my assumptions fairly close in the previous paragraph?
3) Can anyone post an example of a shot taken using a CVD?

thanks.

Sep 05, 2012 at 08:42 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lambency Diffuser with Chrome Vault??

Jos Tesseract wrote:
...I shoot in (clubs/bars lit up with red/orange bulbs or tungstens turned down low) ...Obviously, a blue dome would be a good idea for me to get...

Why would you use a blue flash if your environment is lit with orange? One normally matches added light to existing light to allow neutral -- or at least matched -- white balance.

I'm not saying it's wrong, that's an artistic choice; but I am curious as to why you would want mismatched lights.

Sep 05, 2012 at 03:29 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lambency Diffuser with Chrome Vault??

Jos Tesseract wrote:
...I'm wondering about the Chrome Vault domes (CVD) I see on FleaBay. They usually have a hole in the center. Trying to do some research on the effect of CVD's hasn't helped me at all. ...I'm imagining that, with the centre cut out, I would be able to use the Lambency in the flash's neutral position and the cut-out would allow 1/4 of the light to exit the flash directly, while the other 3/4s does the usual for a Lambency and at the same time, renders an effect which could be considered the opposite of a ring-flash/beauty dish(?)

Normally one uses modifiers of this type to get a bare-bulb simulation; you point the flash head up, and the dome casts the light in a 360-degree circle around you, allowing bounce-flash off all the walls and surfaces to create soft fill light. In addition, some of the light goes up and bounces off the ceiling.

With the chrome domes, more of the light is reflected outward, and a "kicker panel" reflector at the rear boosts the forward-directed light, but the cutout still allows direct light to bounce off the ceiling.

BTW, the Lambency dome looks like an intellectual-property rip off of the Gary Fong Lightsphere. Let your conscience be your guide.

Sep 08, 2012 at 09:04 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lambency Diffuser with Chrome Vault??

BTW, here's a short video on the Chrome Dome by Gary Fong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cDAIRU_70YQ

And here's a video from Adorama comparing the Lightsphere with the Honl Speed Snoot.

Sep 08, 2012 at 09:19 AM
Jos Tesseract
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lambency Diffuser with Chrome Vault??

Awesome... Thanks BrianO! I'll give those vids a watch now.

And you're right about the light colouration. I was thinking backwards with that.
In post, it appears that one adds blue to neutralize orange, but that's post.

Sep 14, 2012 at 01:02 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lambency Diffuser with Chrome Vault??

Jos Tesseract wrote:
...And you're right about the light colouration. I was thinking backwards with that. In post, it appears that one adds blue to neutralize orange, but that's post.

That's correct. In post, you're shifting overly warm color balance toward the cool side (or vice versa); it's a shift of overall balance , usually, although selective correction can also be done.

But getting it right "SOOC" (straight out of camera) requires matching the colors of the various light sources (or getting them close enough), and then doing an on-scene white balance if shooting JPEGs.

Getting JPEGs balanced at the time of the shoot is why a lot of us still carry gray cards or WhiBal cards and the like. (I'd like to get a color meter, but they're too expensive for my purposes. My flash meter was expensive enough as it is.)

Sep 14, 2012 at 01:35 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.