Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5d3-mirror lock up operation?

Dennis M 1064
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d3-mirror lock up operation?

A couple evenings ago, I was at Kezar Lake, and decided to try an extended exposure shot. I had the camera on the tripod, and had the 16-35 canon lens. It appeared that I had packed my remote trigger release somewhere in my backpack, in a place that would render it unfindable. That was when I realized, I hadn't memorized where the timer release option was. Yes, this is a bit different than my old EOS film camera.

I did set the mirror lock-up and was shooting a manual exposure setting of about f-16 and 20 seconds (+/-, as I didn't memorize it.). When I released the shutter, I heard what sounded like the mirror lock up, but then there was no image recorded. I decided that trying to figure this out in the dark was going to just bring frustration.

Yesterday, I trie it in the kitchen, with a more normal exposure, and the same thing happened. If I release the shutter again, it shoots the image. So, what is that all about? With my old camera, it happens in one release of the shutter. The mirror moves up, locks, takes the photo, then releases. Do I have something set that I don't know about?, Like one of those hundreds of settings?

So, there is one for the stupid question books.

I appreciate the help though, regardless.

Cheers,
Dennis

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:27 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d3-mirror lock up operation?

First press locks the mirror, second press captures the image. Your camera is working normally. It allows the vibrations of the mirror to subside at your discretion before capturing the image. I believe if you review the manual, it will describe it better than I have, but with more words.

Enjoy the new body!

Paul

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:43 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d3-mirror lock up operation?

Paulthelefty wrote:
First press locks the mirror, second press captures the image. Your camera is working normally. It allows the vibrations of the mirror to subside at your discretion before capturing the image. I believe if you review the manual, it will describe it better than I have, but with more words.

Enjoy the new body!

Paul

Paul has it correct!
Dan

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:47 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5d3-mirror lock up operation?

I was pretty certain it was me. I just don't remember my previous camera functioning like that, so, since I read my manual twice and still don't remember half of it, I figured there was a 'me' factor involved. Thanks for setting me straight.

I am enjoying it for sure. This camera is mind blowing. The body, the glass. Incredible. What a fun journey this is going to be.

I hope to become worthy of my camera.

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:52 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5d3-mirror lock up operation?

Mirror lockup is best used with a cable release. By simply putting the camera in mirror lockup mode without a cable release, you'll still end up with a shaky camera. The solution is to combine mirror lockup with a short self timer. The mirror will lockup first, then a couple second later, the shutter will fire.

Sep 05, 2012 at 02:21 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5d3-mirror lock up operation?

Not to be a SA but why not just use liveview and the 2 sec timer to do long exposure shots if you don't have the cable release readily available?

Sep 05, 2012 at 02:36 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5d3-mirror lock up operation?

AGeoJO wrote:
Not to be a SA but why not just use liveview and the 2 sec timer to do long exposure shots if you don't have the cable release readily available?

Because you would need to read the instruction manual to learn how to do that, too...

Sep 05, 2012 at 03:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5d3-mirror lock up operation?

molson wrote:
Because you would need to read the instruction manual to learn how to do that, too...

Ah, well played.

Actually, as I said in my OP, I had read it, but hadn't memorized it. I'll work harder.

It is my understanding, and always has been, that locking up the mirror, cuts down on vibration induced by the mirror, not the operator. So, Live view and 2 second timer doesn't actually address that issue.

The Cable release was certainly the key element, lack of prior and proper preparation, indeed provided piss poor performance. I admit that. I haven't shot in 12 years, so, I am a little rusty. Now the question would be, if you use mirror lock up and timer, does it keep you from having to press the shutter release twice? That would preclude me from having to touch the camera again, there by inducing operator movement.

That was rhetorical, as I will gladly go re-read the manual, and maybe try it out.

Sep 06, 2012 at 02:00 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5d3-mirror lock up operation?

Dennis M 1064 wrote:
It is my understanding, and always has been, that locking up the mirror, cuts down on vibration induced by the mirror, not the operator. So, Live view and 2 second timer doesn't actually address that issue.

The Cable release was certainly the key element, lack of prior and proper preparation, indeed provided piss poor performance. I admit that. I haven't shot in 12 years, so, I am a little rusty. Now the question would be, if you use mirror lock up and timer, does it keep you from having to press the shutter release twice? That would preclude me
...Show more

That's the whole idea, you delay the actual shutter release by 2 sec, which is plenty of time for any movement you cause by pushing the shutter button. Again, the actual exposure will take place after the 2 sec have elapsed and you have to push the shutter button only once in the liveview mode. The mirror is up already from the liveview action. Yes, it is better to have a remote release since you can time it as want but if you don't have that cable release readily available, it will work just fine. I have done this many times, BTW and didn't encounter any issues.

Sep 06, 2012 at 03:05 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5d3-mirror lock up operation?

Got it. You still have the vibration induced by the mirror though. This would or should then be done in conjunction with mirror lock up selected, assuming that can be done.

Sep 06, 2012 at 03:14 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5d3-mirror lock up operation?

Dennis, the mirror is up already in the liveview mode.

Sep 06, 2012 at 03:17 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5d3-mirror lock up operation?

Hmmm. Ahhh. Duh. I guess that would have to be. Welcome to digital nitwit!

Thanks for clearing that up.

Sep 06, 2012 at 03:24 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5d3-mirror lock up operation?

In my experience, leaving the camera in live view heats up the sensor and lends itself to a noisier image as well as the occasional hot spot. When shooting long exposures on a tripod, I compose with live view, then switch to mirror lock-up for a cleaner image.

Sep 06, 2012 at 03:40 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5d3-mirror lock up operation?

Yup. I have a cable release. Since I hadn't shot for many years, all my gear is new, including the backpack bag. It wasn't as organized as I thought it was and trying to work in the dark, brought that to light!

good point about sensor heat. I guess in that respect,like film, if it gets too warm, it's going to be a problem.

Sep 06, 2012 at 03:52 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password