Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · 5DmkII has super AF!!!

Marcus Watts
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5DmkII has super AF!!!

Could it be possible that your 5dc is up for calibration after solid use.

Sep 05, 2012 at 03:14 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5DmkII has super AF!!!

@Michael: I have the Ee-S installed. It was off, but CPS calibrated my lenses and now it's quite accurate. Yes I'm still in doubt about it. Calumet has a mint 5D2, with grip, for 1200 Euro's + VAT. Tempting....

@Jopeme: Yes I'd really like a 5D3, but don't have the funds until next year. Actually I do have the funds but I can't justify the purchase for my business at this time. Have to make some gigs first or I will have only a negative result for 2012.

@Michael (last post): That is very well possible. However, not likely, since the AF works swell with all of my other lenses.

@All: I did a definitive test with the 50L, using my 5Dclassic, the 5D2 that is for sale, and a new 5D3. Will report later about the results, but I can tell you now that the 5Dclassic still stinks big time with the 50L. Same camera body, different sample 50L.

Edited on Sep 05, 2012 at 06:23 PM · View previous versions

Sep 05, 2012 at 03:36 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5DmkII has super AF!!!

I find the focusing on the 5D III to be better in all circumstances.
The difference is most notable with fast action (birding) and use of other than center point.

The 5D II has a very usable center point with assist points.
5D II is a bargain given the excellent image quality and current pricing.

If you need pro level focusing, or use the side focus points get the 5D III

Sep 05, 2012 at 03:45 PM
marcus riley
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5DmkII has super AF!!!

Today, I had to do a little shooting with my old 5d2, now owned by a coworker. Even though I've only had a 5d3 a very short time (had 1ds3 since selling my 5d2 in 2010), I already was bemoaning the fact that I didn't have the 5d3's AF for the shooting I was doing.

It was event-type shooting, and I definitely don't miss only trusting the 5d2s center point for critical work. Focus on face, recompose, take picture-hoping subject didn't move between focusing/recomposing. And I was shooting 2-3 pictures of each pose/setting, because usually at least one will have closed eyes, so I had to repeat the process again and again; focus, recompose, hope no one moved, shoot. And when people are walking across a stage and leaning in to shake hands with a presenter, I'd have to focus and recompose unbelievably fast because the subject is walking toward me, leaving very little time for perfect recomposing, sometimes framing too tight or loose.

The 5d2 is a great sensor, wrapped in a camera body. If center point really is good enough (it is for some types of shooting), it's a great value!

The 5d3 is a great camera.

Sep 05, 2012 at 04:54 PM
alexdi
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 5DmkII has super AF!!!

Counterpoint: I just got back from a wedding reception with a typical exposure of f/2, 1/150, ISO 3200. Barely half of my photos are in focus with a 5D II and my 100/2. This was all center-point. The issues Marcus points out with focus-recompose defined my night.

Sep 05, 2012 at 05:52 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 5DmkII has super AF!!!

I agree with many of the points mentioned in earlier posts. I am currently using two 5D MkIIs, but I am not doing wedding or sports photography. I agree that the AF system is the main weakness of the 5D MkII even the center focus is good. But already for portrait photography missing outer focus points can be hurdlesome sometimes. Here the 5D III is surely better. The 5D III is not innovative in sensor technology (which I consider the heart of the camera), but a needed improvement in focus capabilities for which the consumer has to pay quite a steep price currently. Too sad that the 5D II did not get the focus system of the 7D but instead the same as the 5D classic. But this is all history.

Sep 05, 2012 at 06:41 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 5DmkII has super AF!!!

mttran wrote:
Ralph, get 5Dc Ec-s focusing screen to work with 50L [...]

There is a strange story and a question about the Ee-S focusing screen.

Question: how do you guys do fast MF?
Manual focusing brings this lens to life. I found that if the focus is just a tiny bit front or back, CA kicks in big time. If focusing is really spot on, this lens is very very sharp @f/1.2, no matter what everybody says.
But: manual focusing takes time! I need to turn the focusing ring on the lens back and forth to acquire perfect focus and it takes about 5 seconds, 3 if I practice real hard. This is because I need to turn the focal point from front to backfocusing to see when it snaps into focus. During a wedding, I don't have 3 seconds for a winning shot. I don't even have 1 second sometimes. I need to aim, bang boom focus and fire quickly.
With a wide angle @f/5.6 or f/8, no problem, focus doesn't need to be precise. But with a 35L @f/1.4 or even a 50L @f/1.2, precision is everything.

Story: no shimming needed after calibration by CPS
When I installed my Ee-S, it needed shimming. This is because with the subject in focus in the VF, the focus was off in the image and vice versa. Strangely, after CPS calibrated the lenses on the body, no shimming was necessary. And the guy says he didn't do anything with the focusing screen.
Now it comes: before the calibration, AF was spot on with the lens I tested with (35L). I don't understand how this is possible, but I really dig it!! Focusing manually with the 50L I tested today is extremely accurate. Even more accurate (just very slightly) than the 5DIII AF.

Sep 05, 2012 at 07:49 PM
marcus riley
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 5DmkII has super AF!!!

alexdi wrote:
Counterpoint: I just got back from a wedding reception with a typical exposure of f/2, 1/150, ISO 3200. Barely half of my photos are in focus with a 5D II and my 100/2. This was all center-point. The issues Marcus points out with focus-recompose defined my night.

Been there, I totally understand.

Yep, the center point on the 5d2 is good and I have confidence in it. But if the subject is moving, you can get in trouble quickly, unless you're happy with the focal point staying exactly in the middle of the frame. When squatting down in the aisle as a bride walks toward you, trying to focus on her face, recompose, and shoot before she moves too far, can be a nightmare. And of course you have to take multiple pictures because one might have eyes closed or an awkward expression.

The thing for everyone to remember is that people who report low% keepers with the 5d2 and center point, it isn't that the camera only focuses right 20% of the time, it's usually that 80% time we are taking pictures of things that move/sway/breathe/walk, as well as ourselves swaying, between the time of focusing and the shutter firing.

So we have to ask ourselves honestly, are we taking pictures of things that don't move, or can be asked to stand still (museum, landscape, buildings, model in studio); or are we taking pictures of more dynamic situations where we are capturing moving subjects, perhaps with fleeting facial expressions, that don't allow the possibility of recomposing after focusing, before moving out of focus?

The answer to this question is the most basic answer to the often repeated '5d3 vs 5d2?'.

Sep 06, 2012 at 06:01 AM
campyone
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 5DmkII has super AF!!!

I owned the 5D and the 5DII. I didn't know what a good AF system was like until I replaced both with the 1DsIII.

Sep 06, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Snead
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 5DmkII has super AF!!!

Like you I kept my 5Dc for a long time but decided a few months ago to upgrade. The 5DIII would cost me 60% more than the 5DII and I didn't think it was worth the difference.

I never had a problem with the 5Dc's AF as center point was all I used but I did notice the 5DII focused much faster. I've read that the AF systems are the same but after using both I doubt a firmware change along could make that much difference and the operation when using all points is different.

I'm glad I upgraded and didn't go for the 5DIII as I have no problems with either 5D's AF systems (I don't do sports). The thing that is really needed is greater dynamic range and from what I've seen the 5DIII,s improved DR range is pure hype!

Sep 06, 2012 at 01:11 PM
Cphoto1954
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 5DmkII has super AF!!!

Check this post I started on sucessful focus with the 5D2:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1117746/1#10838145

Sep 06, 2012 at 02:23 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 5DmkII has super AF!!!

Results!!

I examined the new test results. I found this second 5D2-50L combo was clearly less accurate than the first, so I need to cut back a little on my enthusiasm reflected in the title of this topic. Still it is way way better than the 5Dc+50L.
The 5D3 didn't perform perfectly either, though better than the 5D2 of course. Based on this test, I'd say the 5D2 is still closer to the 5D3 than to the 5Dclassic, using the 50L.

Test results can be found at:

s1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg597/rabbitmountain/5D 123 Test - 5Dclassic/
s1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg597/rabbitmountain/5D 123 AF Test - 5DmkII/
s1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg597/rabbitmountain/5D 123 Test - 5DmkIII/

Sep 06, 2012 at 02:53 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 5DmkII has super AF!!!

OK so I still have the problem that I only have one camera body and I need a 2nd/backup FF body. I will get a 5D3 in summer 2013, but what do I do in the mean time?

I can think of a couple of different options:
Option 1: 5Dclassic + 5Dclassic
- Get a 5Dclassic now
- 500~600 Euros
- No warranty
Sell it next year when I get the 5D3 (so end up with 5Dc+5D3)

Option 2: 5Dclassic+5D2
- Get a 5DmkII now
- 1100 Euro's
- with grip
- 6 months warranty
- Sell my 5Dclassic (sob) next year when I get the 5D3
- end up with 5D2+5D3

Option 3: same as 2
- sell the 5D2 if for some reason I like the 5Dclassic better
- end up with 5Dc+5D3

Option 4: same as 2
- not sell any camera and still get the 5D3
- end up with all 3

Any thoughts?

Sep 06, 2012 at 03:15 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 5DmkII has super AF!!!

Option 2: Get the 5D2, and keep the 5D as back-up.

My 5D is retired and going on the block, as the 5D2 and 1Ds2 are far superior imaging machines. Don't get sentimental -- move forward.

It does get tempting to sell it all and get a 5D3 and keep the 60D as back-up, and the 1D2 as low MP choice. We'll see if prices fall drastically by next spring.

I'm in a holding pattern right now, and happy enough with the set I have, waiting to see if Canon will respond with a high MP/extended DR camera in the next year.

Sep 06, 2012 at 04:18 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 5DmkII has super AF!!!

Hi Jim,

I was thinking if there was a chance that if I get a 5D2 now and shoot 5D2/5Dc combo, maybe I don't feel the need to upgrade to the 5D3 anymore. That would be a saver....

You say the 1Ds2 is a far superior imaging machine than the 5Dclassic. I wonder how. Apart from the AF, which was miserable on my 1Ds2 copy, but I'm sure should be fantastic on a good copy, I don't see any IQ improvement in the 1Ds2 compared to the 5Dclassic, based on the 1500 actuations I shot with the 1Ds2.

Sep 06, 2012 at 04:49 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 5DmkII has super AF!!!

Snead wrote:
Like you I kept my 5Dc for a long time but decided a few months ago to upgrade. The 5DIII would cost me 60% more than the 5DII and I didn't think it was worth the difference.

I never had a problem with the 5Dc's AF as center point was all I used but I did notice the 5DII focused much faster. I've read that the AF systems are the same but after using both I doubt a firmware change along could make that much difference and the operation when using all points is different.

I'm glad I upgraded and didn't
...Show more
Hi Snead,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I do use my 5Dclassic for sports occasionally and despite the bad rep the AF performs quite well. When paired with my 70-200/2.8mkII it really seems unbeatable.

Actually before I decided I want to start using a 50L, I never had AF problems with my 5Dclassic. And as long as I don't use the 50L, I still don't have any AF problems. It really is only the 50L that's giving me a headache. So much so that I'm considering to drop the entire lens until I can afford a 5D3 or similar.

My 5Dclassic is stellar with my 35L and 70-200mkII, and really good with the 16-35II and the 24-105 I occasionally use.

Sep 06, 2012 at 05:36 PM
rabbitmountain
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 5DmkII has super AF!!!

Cphoto1954 wrote:
Check this post I started on sucessful focus with the 5D2:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1117746/1#10838145

Thanks for sharing. Does it work on the 5Dclassic too? I always use back button focus anyway, pressing multiple times should not be a problem for static subjects.

I'm curious about the AI focus setting. This should do the same as OneShot as long as nothing starts moving. For static subjects I always found that OneShot is the best. But I will try this with my 5Dclassic.

But for moving subjects, I don't see any possibilities using your approach.

Sep 06, 2012 at 05:45 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password