Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       9              18       19       end

Archive 2012 · Fall Color 2012

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #1 · Fall Color 2012

Hey all,

Just a quick note from Colorado. I am here around Ridgway and Ouray. The color is fantastic. Still more color to come, so the color should be here for a bit. Right now (Monday 9:40am) ducking the occasional rain shower, but it is interspersed with sweet sunlight popping through. Had some snow drop on the Sneffels last night, so there is some nice contrast.

Okay, I am off down County Rd 7, to see if I can find Derek, he is up here shooting with another friend.

If anyone is up here, let me know. I should be here until Wed or so.

Jim

Sep 24, 2012 at 03:43 PM
kurt765
• • •
p.8 #2 · Fall Color 2012

Do you think it might be peak-ish this weekend in western Colorado? Or is it peaking now?

-K

Sep 24, 2012 at 06:49 PM
KKapple
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #3 · Fall Color 2012

JimFox wrote:
Hey all,

Just a quick note from Colorado. I am here around Ridgway and Ouray. The color is fantastic. Still more color to come, so the color should be here for a bit. Right now (Monday 9:40am) ducking the occasional rain shower, but it is interspersed with sweet sunlight popping through. Had some snow drop on the Sneffels last night, so there is some nice contrast.

Okay, I am off down County Rd 7, to see if I can find Derek, he is up here shooting with another friend.

If anyone is up here, let me know. I should be here until
...Show more

I'll be in that area in a week and a half. Hope it sticks around for me...

Sep 24, 2012 at 08:50 PM
J Mosher
• •
p.8 #4 · Fall Color 2012

For those in Northern Utah, I went up to Snowbasin today and the reds are incredible! The bright yellows from the Aspens showing up in the higher elevations. The most red I have seen in years.

I think I may try some sunrise shots tomorrow. The rising sun should light that mountain up nicely.

JM

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:29 PM
charlesk
• • • • •
p.8 #5 · Fall Color 2012

Seems this thread is mostly discussing conditions out west but here in the northeast things are coming along pretty nicely too. Lots of color in northern VT and environs, and the upper elevations of southern VT looking good as well.

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM
garyroach
• • •
p.8 #6 · Fall Color 2012

Here I am in Crested Butte. They had snow at the higher elevations last night. The locals tell me that the color peaked about four days ago, but it still looks good to me. Heading across Kebler Pass tomorrow unless it gets a ton of snow tonight.

Sep 25, 2012 at 01:02 AM
astv99
• •
p.8 #7 · Fall Color 2012

I went through Kebler Pass today. There were parts of the road that were muddy, so now my car is a mess, but the color was mostly peak or past. Worth a stop for the color I guess, but I don't think I'll go back tomorrow. Black Canyon had better color.

Sep 25, 2012 at 01:33 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.8 #8 · Fall Color 2012

kurt765 wrote:
Do you think it might be peak-ish this weekend in western Colorado? Or is it peaking now?

-K

Hey Kurt,

I would say that by this weekend it would be on the downhill side of color. From what I am seeing and hearing, most places are at peak or close to it. Now there still are Aspen that are green, you know how it goes, with patches of Aspen doing their own thing when it comes to turning.

Jim

Sep 25, 2012 at 03:17 AM
PhotoGriz

p.8 #9 · Fall Color 2012

Eastern Sierra Color Update 9/24/2012

I drove down to Bishop from Carson City and back yesterday and today. I was able to stop and take a few pictures with my iPhone. I brought my 4x5 for a shot I had scouted out, but it was to windy at North Lake and nothing else I saw made me feel compelled to get the large format out.

Shot this one on the way down on the south shore of June Lake. There was very little color on the trees. The sky was a different matter altogether.
June Lake Sunset

The area around North Lake is looking very nice. A few more days and it should be peaking. BTW the third shot is the comp I was trying to get with my 4x5.
North Lake 1North Lake 2North Lake 3

Hope Valley is still at least a week away, with most everything being green, but there is more color around Monitor Pass, the Carson River, and Sorensen's Resort. I might have been tempted to get my camera up into the groves at Monitor Pass, but it is hunting season and I didn't have any Blaze Orange with me. (Be Careful!)
Carson River Aspen 1Hope Valley 1Hope Valley 2

I won't be able to get back down to Bishop before the color is all gone (actually, I didn't think I was going to get to go at all, but I had this one opportunity so I chanced it since that stump may be gone next year)

Sep 25, 2012 at 04:59 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.8 #10 · Fall Color 2012

NCAndy wrote:
[

Hey Rob, I met a friend early this morning up on the BRP at NC 215 south of Asheville for a bike ride. I got to check out the general area from Balsam Gap to Hwy 276 past Graveyard Fields. As warm as it has been I was surprised to see as much color as I did. The high ridges around Richland Balsam, the highpoint on the BRP, have some color on the steeper slopes. I would say 15% or so but it is spotty. The upper reaches of NC 215 are more advanced with some slopes near 50% as
...Show more
I check this thread for your posts...I fear that my October 19-21 trip will be a week too late...and there is nothing I can do about it...

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

NCAndy
• • •
p.8 #11 · Fall Color 2012

Travis Rhoads wrote:
I check this thread for your posts...I fear that my October 19-21 trip will be a week too late...and there is nothing I can do about it...

No, I think there will be plenty of color left. The highest elevations will be gone, but mid levels where most of the maples are should still be good. The 19-21 might be peak in the Smokies, we'll have to wait to see! Things are quite green for the most part right now.

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.8 #12 · Fall Color 2012

That is good to hear, we are planning to be around Lake Toxaway, Transylvania County for waterfalls and maybe a drive across the BRP since I have never done that.

Sep 25, 2012 at 01:09 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.8 #13 · Fall Color 2012

Travis Rhoads wrote:
That is good to hear, we are planning to be around Lake Toxaway, Transylvania County for waterfalls and maybe a drive across the BRP since I have never done that.

Very nice! I would look into DuPont State Forest too as well as the falls on the escarpment on the Whitewater and Horsepasture Rivers. It should be close to perfect around those areas when you visit.

Sep 25, 2012 at 02:57 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.8 #14 · Fall Color 2012

Thanks, added those to my list of things to research.

Sep 25, 2012 at 03:05 PM
garyroach
• • •
p.8 #15 · Fall Color 2012

I'm sure Crested Butte would have been beautiful this morning. But, it was completely obscured by clouds. So, down the road I went to Kebler Pass which showed lots of color although the tops of the peaks were also covered in clouds. I'm now back in Aspen and Maroon Bells is showing about as many patches with fallen leaves as patches that haven't yet turned. I would say that the peak was this past weekend. Hopefully the clouds will clear tomorrow and I'll get a better look at the peaks. I'm hoping for snow on the bells .

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:31 AM
Kelly Phillips
• • •
p.8 #16 · Fall Color 2012

Hey Andy, are you planning another trip up around graveyard fields before the weekend? I'm trying to decide between this weekend or next on BRP. I'm not finding many reports or photos yet. I kind of feel like next week will be better.

Sep 26, 2012 at 01:42 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.8 #17 · Fall Color 2012

After our rain yesterday noted the oranges and reds coming out on the sides of the Wasatch range. Gotta get up there this Sunday or I'm thinking it will be too late.

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:34 PM
garyroach
• • •
p.8 #18 · Fall Color 2012

Maroon Bells was beautiful this morning. The rain washed the haze away and snow covered the peaks. When I get home I'll see if I can combine this weeks peaks with last weeks foliage!

The road to Ashcroft is also just past peak, but still shows lots of color.

Edited on Sep 26, 2012 at 09:47 PM · View previous versions

Sep 26, 2012 at 04:52 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.8 #19 · Fall Color 2012

Kelly Phillips wrote:
Hey Andy, are you planning another trip up around graveyard fields before the weekend? I'm trying to decide between this weekend or next on BRP. I'm not finding many reports or photos yet. I kind of feel like next week will be better.

I think next week would be better, but I'll try to get up there tomorrow (or maybe this evening) to see how it looks. The larger trees had a good ways to go this past Sunday, so I expect it will take some more time. We got to 37 here at the house earlier this week and I was told some places had a freeze. It would have been spotty though.

Definitely next week would be better for the BRP as a whole and later than that would be better still.

Sep 26, 2012 at 05:09 PM
woodsy3629

p.8 #20 · Fall Color 2012

Has anyone been in Utah recently that has an update on the conditions?

I'm going to be heading to Zion, Moab & Bryce in the 2nd week of Oct.

Will all traces of color be gone by then?

Has anyone got any shots

Regards

Woodsy

Sep 26, 2012 at 06:58 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password