Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              11      
       13              18       19       end

Archive 2012 · Fall Color 2012

photogwest
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #1 · p.12 #1 · Fall Color 2012

Thanks, Gary. It's great having online resources, but sometimes they conflict. The website is saying the peak colors are coming earlier than normal, the webcams look relatively bland, and foliage network says the season has barely started. Guess it's time to call the park service

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:08 PM
garyroach
• • •
p.12 #2 · p.12 #2 · Fall Color 2012

photogwest wrote:
Thanks, Gary. It's great having online resources, but sometimes they conflict. The website is saying the peak colors are coming earlier than normal, the webcams look relatively bland, and foliage network says the season has barely started. Guess it's time to call the park service

I know what you mean. Sometimes even the park service isn't reliable. So, I'm going up to the Smokies today to see how far along the color is for myself.

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:14 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.12 #3 · p.12 #3 · Fall Color 2012

garyroach wrote:
I know what you mean. Sometimes even the park service isn't reliable. So, I'm going up to the Smokies today to see how far along the color is for myself.

I hope you'll file a report!

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:47 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #4 · p.12 #4 · Fall Color 2012

.I'll find something more fall like.

Disregard.

Edited on Oct 05, 2012 at 12:11 AM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:21 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.12 #5 · p.12 #5 · Fall Color 2012

Edited on Oct 05, 2012 at 12:11 AM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:28 PM
garyroach
• • •
p.12 #6 · p.12 #6 · Fall Color 2012

GSMNP. TN side. Unfortunately I have to report that almost all of the vegetation that will change has changed along Clingman's Dome Road and it's a dull brownish yellow color. In fact a lot of the leaves in the higher elevations on the TN side of the Smokies just look stressed and dried out. Which is odd because we really didn't have a particularly dry year in East TN. There are some trees along the parking lot at Newfound Gap that I've seen ablaze with color this time of year. The leaves on these trees have already turned brown and fallen off. In case you think I'm just saying this to keep tourists away, it's too late for that. I was surprised at how many tourists were there today. But, let me end this report on a positive note. Very little has changed at the lower elevations. But, occasionally there is a patch of color on the sugar maples and it is a vibrant red which gives me hope for a colorful fall when things get in full swing.

Oct 04, 2012 at 09:25 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.12 #7 · p.12 #7 · Fall Color 2012

Gary, the trees along the Clingman's Dome Rd are mostly yellow beech and they rust out without much color. Best color, as you probably know, is between 2000-4500+ ft and from what I've seen they haven't turned all that much yet. It does look like this year won't be a repeat of last fall which was one of the best I've seen.

Up on Waterrock Knob on the BRP today, there is some color around 5000' on the north/east side though not brilliant. It should improve into the weekend through next week up that way. If the light is just right it can look pretty good but other times it's just drab.

Oct 04, 2012 at 10:06 PM
garyroach
• • •
p.12 #8 · p.12 #8 · Fall Color 2012

NCAndy wrote:
Gary, the trees along the Clingman's Dome Rd are mostly yellow beech and they rust out without much color. Best color, as you probably know, is between 2000-4500+ ft and from what I've seen they haven't turned all that much yet. It does look like this year won't be a repeat of last fall which was one of the best I've seen.

Up on Waterrock Knob on the BRP today, there is some color around 5000' on the north/east side though not brilliant. It should improve into the weekend through next week up that way. If the light is just right
...Show more

I've seen some of the trees with thin pointy leaves (sorry, not much of a botanist) around Clingmans Dome parking lot turn a firey red in previous years. But, you are right, there isn't as much color at that elevation.

I usually stay at Pisgah Inn when I make a loop from Knoxville-Cherokee-Asheville-Knoxville. But, it's pretty booked up already. Hope I can find a day to stay there before all the leaves blow away!

Oct 04, 2012 at 10:20 PM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.12 #9 · p.12 #9 · Fall Color 2012

For those of you looking for a location in the Southwest: below is a report from yesterday on the Cononino National Forest just north of Flagstaff, AZ.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/landmanagement/resourcemanagement/?cid=stelprdb5351327

I will be going tomorrow. Link below are a few photos I took last year along the north end of Fire Rd 151.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1053220/0#10006726

Oct 05, 2012 at 05:56 AM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.12 #10 · p.12 #10 · Fall Color 2012

Guys, where should I go this weekend in Eastern Sierras?
I guess Bishop is too late, but higher up towards Tahoe should be good...

Oct 05, 2012 at 03:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mwalrod
• •
p.12 #11 · p.12 #11 · Fall Color 2012

snowboarder wrote:
Guys, where should I go this weekend in Eastern Sierras?
I guess Bishop is too late, but higher up towards Tahoe should be good...

Wouldn't it be the opposite? I thought colors north of Bishop toward Tahoe would have turned earlier. I'm curious to know because I'll be in Bishop for a few days starting Sunday.

Mark

Oct 05, 2012 at 03:47 PM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.12 #12 · p.12 #12 · Fall Color 2012

Bishop was peaking last weekend.
As you drive up North, places like Conway Summit, Monitor Pass seem to almost peak,
but any update would be great!

Oct 05, 2012 at 04:27 PM
LXShooter
• • •
p.12 #13 · p.12 #13 · Fall Color 2012

Taken in Central Wisc.

Oct 05, 2012 at 06:12 PM
Iron_Dreamer
• •
p.12 #14 · p.12 #14 · Fall Color 2012

gdanmitchell wrote:
All I want to say is that anyone who is thinking about photographing aspens in the eastern Sierra should go soon. Very soon.

Yes, I agree, I was out there earlier this week, and the action above 8,000ft is hot and heavy, at least in the Central Eastern Sierra, from Tom's place to Independence.

Here's a shot from Bishop Creek, Saturday 9/29:

Blazing Quaking Aspen

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:26 PM
Randy_Stutzman

p.12 #15 · p.12 #15 · Fall Color 2012

Just got back from the Adirondack mountains-looking great up that way

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:18 PM
tsln

p.12 #16 · p.12 #16 · Fall Color 2012

Not sure if this will work lol

Few from around western wisconsin.

Oct 06, 2012 at 01:56 AM
John Zeman
• •
p.12 #17 · p.12 #17 · Fall Color 2012

Some of Western Iowa's Loess Hills as they looked 4 days ago.

Oct 07, 2012 at 01:53 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.12 #18 · p.12 #18 · Fall Color 2012

snowboarder wrote:
Bishop was peaking last weekend.
As you drive up North, places like Conway Summit, Monitor Pass seem to almost peak,
but any update would be great!

The highest elevations in Bishop Creek (North, South, Sabrina lakes) were still great last Wednesday and lower areas were still green. The show is not over.

Dan

Oct 07, 2012 at 01:17 PM
varok
• •
p.12 #19 · p.12 #19 · Fall Color 2012

gdanmitchell wrote:
The highest elevations in Bishop Creek (North, South, Sabrina lakes) were still great last Wednesday and lower areas were still green. The show is not over.

Dan

I'm planning to go next weekend, you think the show will be over by then?

Oct 08, 2012 at 03:49 AM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.12 #20 · p.12 #20 · Fall Color 2012

Thanks Dan for responding, I'm already back
Anyway, Bishop creek will be over in a week. It's weird as some trees are still green,
but it will be over. I only went to Bishop Creek and Rock Canyon,
took a quick look at McGee and Convict Lake, but no pictures there. Convict lake was a zoo
and the only nice patch was on the opposite side of the lake. McGee was nice
but I guess to get to the really nice stuff you need to hike higher.
Bishop was by far the best and the most spectacular. Peaking at South Lake road, but over
higher up. Kind of almost over on the North side, but still peaking at some places there.
Didn't go higher up North on 395 to June etc, as some reports I found last night mentioned it was still not great,
so maybe that might your bet next weekend...
Not enough time for nice pictures, two quick shots only....
1st - North fork in Bishop, 2nd - Rock Canyon

Oct 08, 2012 at 05:32 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password