New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Using Crop Tool in CS6 ?

Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using Crop Tool in CS6 ?

It used to be so easy to use, now its a nightmare. I tried changing it back to classic mode, now there are no handles in the middle or top, the only way to change size is diagonally.
Is there a way to make it easy to use ?

Aug 31, 2012 at 01:19 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using Crop Tool in CS6 ?

Have you tried using the Crop tool option bar setting pulldown and checking use classic mode?

Aug 31, 2012 at 01:43 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using Crop Tool in CS6 ?

Classic mode is only a partial solution. To say Adobe screwed up the new Crop Tool is a vast understatement. There ARE handles, but you have to be in the right crop mode. Now the Crop Tool cycles through the different crop modes the way many other tools do - Shift-C. You may be in perspective crop without knowing it. Check the Tool Palette and the tiny dropdown arrow under the Crop Tool icon.

Aug 31, 2012 at 03:35 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Using Crop Tool in CS6 ?

Some like the new crop tool. Personally have I always disliked the crop tool and never use it. If I want to crop and straighten an image I may use the new crop tool. However its more likely that I'll continue using the rectangle marquee tool and Image>Crop...

Aug 31, 2012 at 08:06 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Using Crop Tool in CS6 ?

Who likes the new crop tool? I've yet to run into a single person who, once they see what Adobe did to it, actually likes it. As for never using the crop tool, I guess that's your choice, but the crop tool does so much more than just crop. Rotate and crop. Crop to a specific pixel dimension or aspect ratio. Perspective Crop - try that with a marquee tool. But the coolest thing, and I've been using the crop tool for many years for this, is to crop outside the image, adding to the Canvas size while cropping. All of these types of uses drastically shorten your time in a production environment. Yeah, the Crop Tool is a great tool, just not as great as it used to be.

Riddle me this: Why, in the new CS6 Crop Tool, when you enter aspect ratio dimensions, do you have to go to a second freaking drop down menu that's completely non-intuitive, and enter those dimensions again. If you don't, then you'll get the right aspect ratio, but not the actual dimensions you asked for. This is new and completely crazy behavior and whoever at Adobe thought this made any sort of sense apparently has never actually used the program.

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Using Crop Tool in CS6 ?

Peter Figen wrote:
Who likes the new crop tool? I've yet to run into a single person who, once they see what Adobe did to it, actually likes it. As for never using the crop tool, I guess that's your choice, but the crop tool does so much more than just crop. Rotate and crop. Crop to a specific pixel dimension or aspect ratio. Perspective Crop - try that with a marquee tool. But the coolest thing, and I've been using the crop tool for many years for this, is to crop outside the image, adding to the Canvas size while cropping.
...Show more
I like the new crop tool better for I never liked how the old way would rotate the crop box instead of the image. And I did not like the fact the had that resolution field on the option bar for too many novices wound resampling small crop way up in pixel size.

Riddle me this: Why, in the new CS6 Crop Tool, when you enter aspect ratio dimensions, do you have to go to a second freaking drop down menu that's completely non-intuitive, and enter those dimensions again. If you don't, then you'll get the right aspect ratio, but not the actual dimensions you asked for. This is new and completely crazy behavior and whoever at Adobe thought this made any sort of sense apparently has never actually used the program.

My guess is that you have only entered a aspect ratio and never tried to enter sizes in the two input fields while the rest of us didn't see these field as a riddle we just enter size or ratios Or we create Presets I like that the resize is harder to get to. Wish Adobe added a resample check box to make the crop's Size and Resolution dialog work more like the image size dialog. The novice would get to know what resanpling is all about sooner.

Edited on Sep 01, 2012 at 09:45 AM · View previous versions

Sep 01, 2012 at 09:32 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Using Crop Tool in CS6 ?

I think I found a way around it and more like the old crop tool, I just use the perspective crop tool instead. It has the handles onthe side, and the only thing that isn't the same is once an established crop size is made I can't move it around, by moving the whole crop area.
Also I have to stay away from the corners, as thats not what I need it for. It doesn't really seem to do much anyways, it doesn't straighten say a horizon out or anything.

Sep 01, 2012 at 09:33 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.