New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 EF cine lenses announced

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 EF cine lenses announced

Canon U.S.A. Aims To Expand The Cinema EOS System With The Development Of New EF Cinema Prime Lenses:
Canon 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2

Both the 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 cinema prime lenses will be engineered for exceptional optical performance for Canon's latest large-format single-sensor 4K and 2K digital cinematography cameras. As part of the Cinema EOS System, the lenses will be compatible with standard sensor sizes including Super 35mm, the standard format in the motion picture industry, as well as HD-compatible EOS Digital SLR cameras using 35mm full frame, APS-H and APS-C image sensors.
The 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 EF cinema prime lenses are expected to be available in the first half of 2013, and will be showcased from September 6 - 11, 2012 at IBC2012 in Amsterdam.

To read the entire Press Release, click here.

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:32 AM
EOS20
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 EF cine lenses announced

Canon announces 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 Cinema EOS prime lenses:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/10/canon-announces-two-cinema-eos-prime-lenses-14mm-t3-1-135mm-t2-2e

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:10 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 EF cine lenses announced

This isn't the 135mm that a lot of us are waiting for. lol

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:33 PM
Eric Gottesman
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 EF cine lenses announced

What makes a lens specific to cinema rather than still images?

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:52 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 EF cine lenses announced

Eric Gottesman wrote:
What makes a lens specific to cinema rather than still images?

Light transmission (as noted by T values instead of F-stop values) and color reproduction (ie: complete lack of color cast) are both of utmost importance with video lenses. Then there is the obvious construction and build quality differences.

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:54 PM
howard
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 EF cine lenses announced

I don't like the direction Canon is going as a SLR user. I understand it may well be an excellent move for Canon itself, but for me I don't like how resources are being siphoned to cinema cams, mirrorless, etc.

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:08 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 EF cine lenses announced

howard wrote:
I don't like the direction Canon is going as a SLR user. I understand it may well be an excellent move for Canon itself, but for me I don't like how resources are being siphoned to cinema cams, mirrorless, etc.

You don't know that resources are being siphoned. They could very well be adding different staff to handle development of these products.

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:11 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 EF cine lenses announced

deepbluejh wrote:
Light transmission (as noted by T values instead of F-stop values) and color reproduction (ie: complete lack of color cast) are both of utmost importance with video lenses. Then there is the obvious construction and build quality differences.

Manual mechanical focus with long throw and also soft aperture control rather than fixed clicks/stops too.

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:31 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 EF cine lenses announced

deepbluejh wrote:
You don't know that resources are being siphoned. They could very well be adding different staff to handle development of these products.

Given the cutbacks and belt tightening, I'd be surprised if it were new resources be used. More likely an internal shift of part of the lens team. Huge profit margins in cinema gear. And let's not forget these are their el cheapo cine lenses. The high end lenses cost $50K, which is insane, but the competition is $100K+.

Jan 10, 2013 at 05:17 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 EF cine lenses announced

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Given the cutbacks and belt tightening, I'd be surprised if it were new resources be used. More likely an internal shift of part of the lens team. Huge profit margins in cinema gear. And let's not forget these are their el cheapo cine lenses. The high end lenses cost $50K, which is insane, but the competition is $100K+.

Possibly, but to be honest, it has yet to be seen if Canon cinema is really going to take off or not. Their bodies don't exactly seem to be setting the competition afire. If anything, I think Sony is going to emerge as the major force in that market. Lenses might be another story - who really knows at this point.

Regardless, we have seen some positive signs from Canon in the past 12 months with regards to new product development. I think it's premature to start wringing our hands over this just yet.

Jan 10, 2013 at 06:52 PM
howard
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 EF cine lenses announced

deepbluejh wrote:

No company has unlimited resources. If they devote resources -- including engineers, facilities and investment -- in one area, inevitably they will have to subtract them from another.

Jan 10, 2013 at 07:15 PM
tuantran
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 EF cine lenses announced

deepbluejh wrote:

Also, tighter tolerances with regard to focusing, ie, when you dial in 5.5', it's 5.5 and not 5.4 or 5.6.
Works with focus accessories from 3rd party
For zoom lenses, when zooming, the t values don't change and the focusing doesn't change
and how cool would it be to dial a scene from dark to light using the aperture ring?

Jan 10, 2013 at 07:39 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 EF cine lenses announced

howard wrote:
No company has unlimited resources. If they devote resources -- including engineers, facilities and investment -- in one area, inevitably they will have to subtract them from another.

Canon has released more SLR lenses than any other camera company over the past few years. They are doing 5-10 lenses a year. Sounds like they are still allocating resources to SLR lens and camera development.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:58 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 EF cine lenses announced

howard wrote:

Looking at the big picture Canon does have the largest in production line of still image lenses. Yes they have delayed production of the 200-400 but it really only affects those who can afford the $13,000 price tag rumored to be attached to it.

Accessories-wise they have more than anyone else.

In terms of SLR bodies they have a full lineup catering to the entry to the professional.

I am wondering when they will update the 35/1.4 135/2.0 180/3.5 Macro and 400/5.6 but that's just me.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 EF cine lenses announced

They look very pretty.

Jan 11, 2013 at 01:06 AM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 EF cine lenses announced

Canon announces development of 35mm Cinema EOS prime lens:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/04/03/canon-announces-development-of-35mm-cinema-eos-prime-lens

Apr 04, 2013 at 07:30 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 EF cine lenses announced

I applaud Canon's chosen path. I feel the future of stills will be through video development. I love their new HD video camera that makes 8MP stills off the video. That is only the beginning. In five or ten years, it will all be about video and computing power. Of course, consumers and pro still photographers won't be buying these types of lenses or future pro video cameras -- but it will reshape still imaging. I have a feeling this is where the solution for high MP images (plus increased DR and lower noise) from lower MP sensors will come from. Exciting times ahead, so don't be too hard on Canon for being out front on this.

Apr 04, 2013 at 08:54 AM
nikey
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 EF cine lenses announced

Gunzorro wrote:
I applaud Canon's chosen path. I feel the future of stills will be through video development. I love their new HD video camera that makes 8MP stills off the video. That is only the beginning. In five or ten years, it will all be about video and computing power. Of course, consumers and pro still photographers won't be buying these types of lenses or future pro video cameras -- but it will reshape still imaging. I have a feeling this is where the solution for high MP images (plus increased DR and lower noise) from lower MP sensors will come
...Show more

+1. I can't wait for a time when all you need to do is shoot video and be able to choose 1 frame with 20+ megapixel size for further processing.

Apr 04, 2013 at 09:29 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 14mm T3.1 and 135mm T2.2 EF cine lenses announced

howard wrote:

How do you know what development money is going where? I'm sure each division has a budget and the liklihood is that they need to be self sufficient to a very large extent.

And Canon has been into video for years. How come it's only now they're merging the lines to some extent that people are complaining...?

Apr 04, 2013 at 09:32 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.