Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Archive 2012 · Wales with Sony Nex

Phillip Reeve
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · Wales with Sony Nex

zhangyue wrote:
Hi, Philip,
In your Ligthtroom setting shown above:

I notice you leave contrast to zero, and most of them Clarity also set to zero, and even your curve setting is liner, in additional to that, you also pull back shadow 100 and pull down highlight -100. The photo should looks really flat if I am doing the same thing. What kind of profile you use? Adobe default or some costumer setting?

But yours seems still pretty contrasty. What do you do? Before you export to PS, do you do any sharp at all? or leave that all to PS. In term of
...Show more
Do you use LR4? Pulling the lights and pushing the shadows really only affects the highlights and shadows so contrast isn't affected much.
I think added clarity makes most pictures look unnatural, at least whe i used a Zeiss.

I think that the white-slider is responsible for most of the contrast in my images.

I use a custom set for the 5n and use the default one for the 7. The difference is minor with greenery but quite aparrent when reds are present.

Wales_CaderIdris_13_Zeiss_Planar_45mm_f2 by Phillip Reeve, on Flickr

Wales_Inland_3_Zeiss_Biogon_28mm_f2.8 by Phillip Reeve, on Flickr

Wales_Tenby_1_Zeiss_Planar_45mm_f2 by Phillip Reeve, on Flickr

Wales_CaderIdris_12_Voigtlaender_15mm_f4.5 by Phillip Reeve, on Flickr

Sep 08, 2012 at 10:38 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.5 #2 · Wales with Sony Nex

Phillip Reeve wrote:
I use a custom set for the 5n and use the default one for the 7. The difference is minor with greenery but quite aparrent when reds are present.

ah, was going to ask if you'd found a good for the 7, i'm still looking.

really like the second one in that last set!

Sep 08, 2012 at 02:35 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.5 #3 · Wales with Sony Nex

Hi, Philip,
Thanks for your reply. I use LR4, I know the highlight and shadow improve hugely compare to LR3. But your setting seems suggest more flat rendering than the pictures shown. I guess I need take one of my ZEiss lens with better light to see.

But usually, my common sense is for High DR sensor like NEX having, contrast usually need a little bit help. Your setting is very interesting. I am going to give it a try.

Can't you just use NEX-5n preset for NEX7?

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:50 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.5 #4 · Wales with Sony Nex

zhangyue wrote:
Can't you just use NEX-5n preset for NEX7?

it's a color profile, not a processing preset. i guess i could fool with the file so lightroom thinks it's for the NEX-7 and see what happens...

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:54 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.5 #5 · Wales with Sony Nex

zhangyue wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I use LR4, I know the highlight and shadow improve hugely compare to LR3. But your setting seems suggest more flat rendering than the pictures shown. I guess I need take one of my ZEiss lens with better light to see.

But usually, my common sense is for High DR sensor like NEX having, contrast usually need a little bit help. Your setting is very interesting. I am going to give it a try.

I played around with different contrast settings when i processed my recent pictures and found that usually i didn't like the result very much when i simply increased contrast, my method produced a nicer graduation.

I found some lost pictures on my girlfriends sd-card:

Sep 14, 2012 at 05:47 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.5 #6 · Wales with Sony Nex

Phillip Reeve wrote:
I played around with different contrast settings when i processed my recent pictures and found that usually i didn't like the result very much when i simply increased contrast, my method produced a nicer graduation.

I am not talk about just contrast slider but the way you process your some photos as a whole: -100 highlight, +100 shadow and liner on curve and 0 at clarity. all these will lead pretty flat photo with high DR sensor by using adobe profile.
That is why I ask if you do the L Chanel curve/contrast in PS and sharpening to make photo looks as is now? (which I think they are looking good)

Sep 14, 2012 at 08:43 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.5 #7 · Wales with Sony Nex

I have serious skill and lens envy cause of this pics.

Your pics from 45mm f2 makes me *drool*. And your work with that 15mm... awww. Very impressive. Lovely landscapes..

Sep 14, 2012 at 08:45 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.5 #8 · Wales with Sony Nex

zhangyue wrote:
I am not talk about just contrast slider but the way you process your some photos as a whole: -100 highlight, +100 shadow and liner on curve and 0 at clarity. all these will lead pretty flat photo with high DR sensor by using adobe profile.
That is why I ask if you do the L Chanel curve/contrast in PS and sharpening to make photo looks as is now? (which I think they are looking good)

I don't do any contrast adjustments outside of LR, my sharpening just brings out the details a bit more.
Contrast also depends on lighting quite a lot, i have posted some more examples in this flcikr set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/birnenbaumgarten/sets/72157631388994464/with/7982924621/ they are treated a bit different

Mescalamba wrote:
I have serious skill and lens envy cause of this pics.

Your pics from 45mm f2 makes me *drool*. And your work with that 15mm... awww. Very impressive. Lovely landscapes..

hehe

Sep 14, 2012 at 09:13 PM
ebookman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #9 · Wales with Sony Nex

I recently purchased the Voigtlander 15mm for my Nex 5n and I am getting brilliant sharp images much like yours. I also have the G lenses and I think it can not get much better! I have been afraid of the Nex 7 thinking it might be a backwards step. I have read some blogs about color cast and lower IQ. Do the Nex 7 images require more processing to match the Nex 5n? I would like the larger image but not at the price of inconvenience.

Sep 19, 2012 at 07:00 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.5 #10 · Wales with Sony Nex

Excellent thread. Thanks for sharing your sharpening and post. Always interesting to see.

Feb 06, 2013 at 09:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mawz
• • • • •
p.5 #11 · Wales with Sony Nex

Phillip: A brilliant set of images, I particularly like the forest images with the 45/2

And thanks for the processing info, I've just test-driven your basic settings on a few NEX-7 landscape/foliage shots and am pretty impressed, they will make a great starting point for some of my landscape processing.

Feb 07, 2013 at 02:50 AM
serhan_
• •
p.5 #12 · Wales with Sony Nex

Very nice images. 45/2 shots shine, 15/4.5 is not far behind also

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:33 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.5 #13 · Wales with Sony Nex

Great stuff Phillip!

Thanks for sharing all these with us!

I still haven't seen any wales tho.

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:45 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.5 #14 · Wales with Sony Nex

I was back there this summer and would like to share some new pictures.

My Kit this year
  • Nex-6 - it was 230 cheaper than the 7 and works better with RF-Wideangles so i replaced the 7 with it

• CV15
  • Sigma 19/2.8 - because having AF and f/2.8 is nice sometimes
  • G28
  • Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 Macro - it is a really versatile lens with great optical qualities
  • G45 - used it only twice
  • Sony 50/1.8 OSS - great performance wide open + stabilizer and AF
  • Minolta MD 100/4 Macro
  • Minolta MC 100/2.5 - really nice bokeh and a much nicer focusing ring than the macro
  • Minolta MC 200/4 - good quality, cheap tele
  • Nikon Ai-S 300/4.5 - my longest lens was only used once when shooting seals

#1 my relatives were looking after this beatiful cat while the owners were on vacation

#2 predator

#3 Little Haven

#4 Little Haven beach

#5 Little Haven beach

#6 Little Haven

#7 bee smoker

#8 breakfast

• Sep 01, 2013 at 11:38 PM
    Phillip Reeve
    • • •
    p.5 #15 · Wales with Sony Nex

#9 plumstone mountain I

#10 plumstone mountain II

#11 plumstone mountain III

#12 Uzmaston cementary

Sep 02, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    DaveOls
    • • •
    p.5 #16 · Wales with Sony Nex

Are you sure you don't work for the Wales Tourist Bureau?
    Beautiful shots of a beautiful country. There was a lot of great scenery when we took a bus tour of Southern Ireland a long time ago.

Sep 02, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    timballic
    • • •
    p.5 #17 · Wales with Sony Nex

Lovely shots Phillip, I especially like #13 with the 19mm Sigma, lovely composition and a real 3D feel to it.

Sep 02, 2013 at 11:53 AM
    taran
    • •
    p.5 #18 · Wales with Sony Nex

Great shots. I recommend the area around Aberystwyth and N. Wales/Anglesey for next time, you will love it. For a country so small there is quite a lot to shoot.

Sep 02, 2013 at 02:40 PM
    Jacob D
    • • •
    p.5 #19 · Wales with Sony Nex

Outstanding, as usual Phillip. Wales must be full of photographic treasures, thanks for sharing with us!

I recently sold my CV15 because I needed some quick cash for a project. Your images from the Sigma 19 give me hope... looks like mine will stop collecting dust and start seeing some action until I reacquire the 15 next year

The rendering of the Sony 50 looks really nice on all of that closeup work you posted. I've never really given that lens much consideration.

Sep 02, 2013 at 04:05 PM
    Phillip Reeve
    • • •
    p.5 #20 · Wales with Sony Nex

DaveOls wrote:
    Are you sure you don't work for the Wales Tourist Bureau?
    Beautiful shots of a beautiful country. There was a lot of great scenery when we took a bus tour of Southern Ireland a long time ago.

thanks ;-)
    I hope i will be able to return there in spring, my relatives told me that the nature muste be phantsatic then.

Jacob D wrote:
    Outstanding, as usual Phillip. Wales must be full of photographic treasures, thanks for sharing with us!

I recently sold my CV15 because I needed some quick cash for a project. Your images from the Sigma 19 give me hope... looks like mine will stop collecting dust and start seeing some action until I reacquire the 15 next year

The rendering of the Sony 50 looks really nice on all of that closeup work you posted. I've never really given that lens much consideration.

You are the first person i would have come up with if anyone asked for CV15 samples, but the sigma ist nice as well, give it another chance

I had the Sony 50/1.8 (lets call it Sonycrux or Sonylon 50 ) for a while now and always liked the portraits i shot with it, only recently did i disconver that it is great for anything else at a cloer distance.

taran wrote:
    Great shots. I recommend the area around Aberystwyth and N. Wales/Anglesey for next time, you will love it. For a country so small there is quite a lot to shoot.

North Wales is yet to come, i had great conditions when we were climbin cader idris

Sep 02, 2013 at 04:35 PM
           6       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password