New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2012 · Wales with Sony Nex

Phillip Reeve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wales with Sony Nex

I spend two weeks of my summer holidays with some friends in Wales and would like to show you some results.

My kit consisted of a Nex-5n, a Nex-7 (got it shortly before we left), CV15, G28, G45, Canon nFD 50/1.4, Samyang 85/1.4, Minolta 135/2.8 and some other lenses which i rarely used.

I had some still unresolved hard drive problems which mainly affected my Nex-7 shots so the majority of the shown pictures are taken with the 5n.

Okay, lets start with a walk around Dinas Head, a nice round-walk near Fishguard

the ever-changing weather:

while we were driving home from the trip we could see some fantastic cloud formations

Edited on Sep 02, 2013 at 02:47 AM · View previous versions

Aug 28, 2012 at 08:56 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wales with Sony Nex

Phillip -- Beautiful! Looking forward to more.

Aug 28, 2012 at 09:00 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wales with Sony Nex

Great stuff Phillip. Some excellent exposures in here too, the last one is particularly striking - could you share your technique? The difference in exposure between the sky and foreground must have been quite great, so are you bracketing the exposure here (two separate), or are you taking advantage of the 'live histogram' just retaining enough in the highlights, then lifting the shadows? The warm light just touching some of the leaves is beautiful.

Aug 28, 2012 at 09:09 AM
alwang
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wales with Sony Nex

Really nice: my favorites are the first two and the last one. Did you crop at all with the first two? The corners look great for both the G28 and CV15. Corners look softer in the third shot, but there might have been other factors?

Aug 28, 2012 at 09:33 AM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wales with Sony Nex

Nice. Makes me want to try the CV15 again.

Aug 28, 2012 at 09:57 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wales with Sony Nex

Wow.. pretty impressive pics. Nicely done processing, wouldnt say its different lens (expect Zeiss being.. well Zeissy).

Interesting theres tiny bit color shift even at 5N with CV15. Hard lens for any mirrorless I guess (except Ricoh).

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wales with Sony Nex

Mescalamba wrote:
Wow.. pretty impressive pics. Nicely done processing, wouldnt say its different lens (expect Zeiss being.. well Zeissy).

Interesting theres tiny bit color shift even at 5N with CV15. Hard lens for any mirrorless I guess (except Ricoh).

thanks ;-).
Yes, it shifts a bit, but those are the only exposures ever where i noticed it in the field.

ricardovaste wrote:
Great stuff Phillip. Some excellent exposures in here too, the last one is particularly striking - could you share your technique? The difference in exposure between the sky and foreground must have been quite great, so are you bracketing the exposure here (two separate), or are you taking advantage of the 'live histogram' just retaining enough in the highlights, then lifting the shadows? The warm light just touching some of the leaves is beautiful.

I underexposed a bit, lifted the shadows by 92 and pulled the highlights by 72, no other except step-resizing.

alwang wrote:
Really nice: my favorites are the first two and the last one. Did you crop at all with the first two? The corners look great for both the G28 and CV15. Corners look softer in the third shot, but there might have been other factors?

Corners stepped down with the G28 are quite okay and a bit better with the CV15. I think that corner i unsharp because of DOF.

some more pictures from different walks:

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wales with Sony Nex

Incredible shots. exposure and detail are impressive. Looks forward more

Have a feeling that you seems more comfortable with 5n's files? Is the way you proceed step sharpness? Or could be just different lighting and timing, I sightly prefer 5n's color and sharpness more.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wales with Sony Nex

zhangyue wrote:
Incredible shots. exposure and detail are impressive. Looks forward more

Have a feeling that you seems more comfortable with 5n's files? Is the way you proceed step sharpness? Or could be just different lighting and timing, I sightly prefer 5n's color and sharpness more.

Well i know what to expect from the 5n and i don't have much experience with the 7, but while processing my shots from that holiday i didn't notice much difference. I increased saturation a little bit with most of the 5n shots,but not so with the 7 shots.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:25 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wales with Sony Nex

I'll admit i came in here expecting to see pictures of magnificent sea creatures... but I'm not disappointed.

Have you thought about using a graduated ND filter either a Lee system or just a screw on grad?

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wales with Sony Nex

FlyPenFly wrote:
I'll admit i came in here expecting to see pictures of magnificent sea creatures... but I'm not disappointed.

Have you thought about using a graduated ND filter either a Lee system or just a screw on grad?

hehe, thanks.
With the vast dynamic range of the 5n or 7 i haven't thought about it, as i think i could simply simulate it with LR.
Are you thinking of any specific shot which might benefit from a grad ND?

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wales with Sony Nex

Anything with 30-40% or more sky, just play with it, it looks a lot more dramatic than just using software.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wales with Sony Nex

FlyPenFly wrote:
Anything with 30-40% or more sky, just play with it, it looks a lot more dramatic than just using software.

i will give it a try nex(t) time :-).
Some random shots:

Aug 28, 2012 at 01:12 PM
briantho
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wales with Sony Nex

Fantastic top quality landscape shots Philip. Love the rainbow, and the sheep, and... all of them.

Aug 28, 2012 at 01:39 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wales with Sony Nex

Wonderful shots. All of them.

Aug 28, 2012 at 02:36 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wales with Sony Nex

Really great shots,but quite a number of them have that crunchy oversharpened look with halos along the hill tops, and the color shift does bother me a bit.

I've been to Wales 12 years ago and loved it. Your shots definitely do justice to the place (although a they're centred on the coast while there is nice inland scenery too with rivers/streams, lots of Rhododendrons etc.).

Aug 28, 2012 at 02:58 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wales with Sony Nex

Nice images

Aug 28, 2012 at 03:08 PM
Jim Schemel
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Wales with Sony Nex

Phillip - Well Done.Thanks for sharing.
-Jim

Aug 28, 2012 at 03:19 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Wales with Sony Nex

thanks @briantho, mortyb, AhamB, johnahill

Aug 28, 2012 at 03:26 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Wales with Sony Nex

@AhamB thanks for the comment, i think you are right and i will pay some more attention to that in the future.

Aug 28, 2012 at 03:26 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.