Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lightroom Question

fotoguymarty

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom Question

I own a Nikon D800 and a Canon 5DMKIII and am editing wedding photos in Lightroom 4.0. When I load all of my photos from both cameras, all of the Nikon photos show up first even though Iím sorting by capture time. The Nikon uses a 24 hr clock and the Canon uses a standard clock. I just want to see and edit the photos in the order they were taken. Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Aug 28, 2012 at 01:56 AM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom Question

Are you really using Lightroom 4.0 or is it a typo?

According to Adobe's official Lightroom blog (click here), while support for the Nikon D800 is included in Lightroom 4.0, support for the Canon 5D Mark III was added to Lightroom 4.1 so I'm surprised that you can even import photos shot with the 5D Mark III into Lightroom 4.0.

You must use Lightroom 4.1 or later to get support for both cameras. Its quite odd that you haven't updated the software since by default Lightroom is configured to notify you when a newer version is available.

fotoguymarty wrote:
I own a Nikon D800 and a Canon 5DMKIII and am editing wedding photos in Lightroom 4.0. When I load all of my photos from both cameras, all of the Nikon photos show up first even though Iím sorting by capture time. The Nikon uses a 24 hr clock and the Canon uses a standard clock. I just want to see and edit the photos in the order they were taken. Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Aug 28, 2012 at 07:38 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom Question

Hey Marty, welcome to FM.

You can probably alter the 5D3 to use a 24-hr clock. Lr should determine the capture time whether or not you do, but you might have a time zone setting or date setting incorrect in one of the cameras and Lr will not know that it is a mistake. If you have such an error then it can be corrected on images in bulk in Lr.

- Alan

Aug 28, 2012 at 05:49 PM
fotoguymarty

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom Question

Thank You, It was a typo. I upgraded to 4.1

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:15 AM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom Question

Verify that the clocks in both cameras are set to the same time; a common error is that one camera is 12 hours ahead of the other. Then from the menu click on View > Sort > Capture Time (also make sure Ascending is selected).

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:23 AM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom Question

By the way, which one serve you better from these two ? (IQ , AF , handling ,etc ).

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:53 AM
fotoguymarty

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom Question

I've only had the Nikon 10 days and the Canon for about a month so I really have not had enough time to form an opinion as to which one I like better. Thank You, I will recheck the settings on both cameras and in 4.1. Sorry I posted in 2 forums, I simply did not know about the unwritten rule.

Aug 30, 2012 at 01:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Greggbhill
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom Question

James_N wrote:
Verify that the clocks in both cameras are set to the same time; a common error is that one camera is 12 hours ahead of the other. Then from the menu click on View > Sort > Capture Time (also make sure Ascending is selected).

If they are off by hours (not mins/secs) you can also adjust the capture times in LR (Library > Metadata > Edit Capture Time...) first select the ones you want to change by filtering on Metadata and choosing the camera that has the date wrong.

I use PhotoMechanic to do this because it allows relative time adjustment in yrs/months/days/hrs/mins/seconds.

Aug 30, 2012 at 04:52 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom Question

Greggbhill wrote:
If they are off by hours (not mins/secs) you can also adjust the capture times in LR (Library > Metadata > Edit Capture Time...) first select the ones you want to change by filtering on Metadata and choosing the camera that has the date wrong.

I use PhotoMechanic to do this because it allows relative time adjustment in yrs/months/days/hrs/mins/seconds.

Gregg, you can make pretty much whatever change you want to the capture times of multiple selected images. First select the bunch of images that need capture time adjustment. One of them will be the "most selected". Change its time using the metadata > edit capture time > adjust to a specified date and time. Because you are typing in a specific date and time for this you have full control over the correction amount, at least down to seconds, so long as your math is ok. Whatever amount the capture time of that most selected image is changed by will then be applied to all of the other images. i.e. they will not all be given the same capture time but will be given the same amount of capture time correction and will maintain their relative time differences so that the capture sequence is not affected. To be quite precise, I do not know how or if sub-second components of the capture times are affected in images from cameras that support sub-second times.

It might still be easier to do in PhotoMechanic (I don't know) but at least it can be done in Lr. It's a pity that the edit capture time dialog box doesn't properly explain what it will and will not do, because the wording is misleading.

What you cannot do in Lr (readily, if at all) is make all of the selected images have an identical capture date and time. I suppose that is fair enough because it is unlikely that were all captured in the same instant. There might be a plug-in available to do this type of change.

- Alan

Aug 31, 2012 at 09:06 AM
Greggbhill
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightroom Question

Alan321 wrote:
Gregg, you can make pretty much whatever change you want to the capture times of multiple selected images. First select the bunch of images that need capture time adjustment. One of them will be the "most selected". Change its time using the metadata > edit capture time > adjust to a specified date and time. Because you are typing in a specific date and time for this you have full control over the correction amount, at least down to seconds, so long as your math is ok. Whatever amount the capture time of that most selected image is changed by
...Show more

Thanks Alan!
I never tried the "adjust to a specific time" option because it sounds like it sets them all to the same time, which seemed of little value for multiple photos. Adobe's user experience team must have been on vacation when they worked on that feature.

I use PhotoMechanic mostly for culling large sets of RAWs because it shows them instantly (whereas LR takes seconds) - totally worth the price of admission.

Aug 31, 2012 at 01:37 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lightroom Question

Thanks for pointing that out; it was an omission on my part.

However, I don't think that Lightroom's handling of time and date changes is robust enough. I would personally use a tool like EXIFTool or Attribute Magic Pro over Lightroom to make changes.

The principal reason is that Lightroom changes to date and time for raw files are saved in its internal database unless you specifically instruct it to write the changes to the file, so time and date changes are not automatically reflected in the search function of your operating system. And you'll probably also have to allow write access to the files if they were originally read-only.

Also, an operating system can display at least 10 time fields associated with an image file; fields like Date, Date Created, Date Modified, Date Taken, Date Acquired, Date Last Saved, etc. Lightroom is incapable of changing all the time and date fields and this can cause screwy results if you're using Finder or Windows Explorer to do complex date searches.

For example, if you use the option to "Change to file creation date for each image," Lightroom will change fields like Date Created and Date Last Saved, but it will not change the two important fields generated by the camera - Date, and Date/Time Digitized.

Similarly if you use the "Adjust to a specific date and time" option, Lightroom will not change the Date Taken field.

So in my opinion there are much better file attributes editors that can make these adjustments to your files, then import the files into Lightroom.

Greggbhill wrote:

Sep 02, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lightroom Question

James_N wrote:

So in my opinion there are much better file attributes editors that can make these adjustments to your files, then import the files into Lightroom.
]

Some good points there but if you have already imported and edited the files before realising that the time zone was wrong, or other time error, then it's possibly too late or too inconvenient to fix the times outside Lr and re-import.

I like being able to access my images through other software but I rarely do it, so for me Lr is good enough. And in a sense having those other fields unchanged acts a bit like a safety backup in case I get the new times wrong or select the wrong group of images.

Sep 05, 2012 at 04:27 PM
Mr645
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lightroom Question

Also, thanks for the suggestions on other software, I'll check out EXIFtool

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:37 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password