Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Is it flat ?

Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Is it flat ?

Bit of a misalignment in the background, but let me know how it looks please.

Aug 28, 2012 at 01:09 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Is it flat ?

The textures seem to flow almost uninterrupted from ground to cairn, losing some definition in the process. I would do some selective burning to create a bit more depth and contrast.
Horizon could be leveled. A bit of distortion most noted in the curvature of the horizon.
Since this is nearly monochromatic, you might consider a BW interpretation.
OK if I post one?
Scott

Aug 28, 2012 at 01:12 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #3 · Is it flat ?

Sure go ahead and post a B/W. I actually changed the contrast quite a bit already, but what would you do to create more depth and contrast ?
This seems to be a continuing theme in most of my posted images, so I would like to know how to fix it.
I could have changed it by taking it at a different time of day, but this was the best I could do at the time.

Aug 28, 2012 at 01:35 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Is it flat ?

I'll post a BW variation when I get home tonight.

Aug 28, 2012 at 02:25 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Is it flat ?

Everything looks gritty to me. I used to get this when I applied too much Topaz sharpening. Topaz never warned of oversharpening with halos.

Aug 28, 2012 at 02:39 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Is it flat ?

Took a stab at it to try and add some definition / separation.

Kind of a tough composition, with the BG lines cutting across it as much as it does.

Aug 28, 2012 at 03:46 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #7 · Is it flat ?

So what did you do to try add seperation and definition? Darken the bottom rock to try and seperate it from the ground rocks?
I didn't see any haloes, are there any? The only sharpening I did was to the rocks after I added a layer mask to seperate the sky and ocean from the rocks and shoreline.
I actually added a bit of blur to the background , just not a lot.
Maybe what I should have done initially was to get down lower and shoot the rocks with more of the sky in the background.

Aug 28, 2012 at 04:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Is it flat ?

A little selective gamma variation push/pull, as well as some selective blur/sharp push/pull.

+1 @ Ben's comment @ gritty. I tried to pull that back also.

Aug 28, 2012 at 04:37 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Is it flat ?

Did some local burning to darken shadows, add contrast between lighter and darker rocks. BW conversion in Silver Efex. A bit of selective clarity reduction over the foreground with a bit of vignette.
Corrected horizon, distortion.
A bit of burning in the sky.Tried to get a bit more alternating lighter/darker elements including chosing the sky luminosity via color sliders during the BW conversion. Selective brightness decrease over the cairn in SEP.

Scott

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:24 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Is it flat ?

btw, did you use some local contrast enhancement/detail extraction? Wondering about the grainy texture throughout the foreground sand/rock/stone.

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #11 · Is it flat ?

I did try a little sharpness enhancement. But tonight I went back in and tried again from scratch, hopefully its better. It is a different set of images too, hence the waves and boat.

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:38 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #12 · Is it flat ?

Thats a great B/W conversion, but how did you straighten that horizon?
I plain don't understand this new Crop tool, it just doesn't seem to work right.

Aug 29, 2012 at 01:56 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Is it flat ?

Bsmooth wrote:
Thats a great B/W conversion, but how did you straighten that horizon?
I plain don't understand this new Crop tool, it just doesn't seem to work right.

Thanks.
Correction in LR3.
Went to Lens Correction, Manual and played with the distortion slider to get a straight horizon. Then used the ruler tool in Crop to stretch a line horizontally across, hit enter and the rotation is made.

Scott

Aug 29, 2012 at 06:35 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password