New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Catleap & Crossover Monitors

mawyatt

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Catleap & Crossover Monitors

Hello,

I just switched from a PC Dell laptop to the MacBook Pro Retina. So everything about the Apple is new to me.

I would like to do some (I am not pro though) photo editing and want to use an external monitor with the MBP. I know the new 27" Apple monitor is best way to go with the MBP with the Thunderbolt high speed interface, but after the cost of the MBP, a $1000 will get me killed with the home CFO.

Some folks are talking about the S. Korean Catleap and Crossover monitors with the A- grade IPS LG display, same as the 27" Apple. This has me thinking about this path instead to the direct Apple monitor. If I understand I would need a Thunderbolt to dual DVI active cable adapter to interface with the Catleap or Crossover monitors which support Dual DVI.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which monitor and cable adapter would best fit my needs (mostly net surfing and photo editing) with the MBP?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Aug 27, 2012 at 07:49 PM
JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Catleap & Crossover Monitors

Be sure to look at the information carefully. Many of them say that they do not work with Apple products and/or laptop GPUs. I have a catleap hooked to my desktop and it is pretty amazing. But it will not work with my Dell laptop.

Aug 28, 2012 at 09:09 AM
Hybrid AWD
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Catleap & Crossover Monitors

ASUS has a good choice in a monitor as well for around $450. I can't recall the model number off the top of my head but it's an IPS monitor.

If you are looking for a similar korean style monitor as the Dell U series, check out the Nixeus WQHD 27". A lot of places are sold out right now and wont be shipping them until September.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nixeus-WQHD-27-S-IPS-Ultra-High-Resolution-2560x1440-PC-Mac-LED-Monitor-/400313923474?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item5d3491b792#ht_4137wt_1343&afsrc=1

Aug 28, 2012 at 09:30 AM
Snoopy Lane

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Catleap & Crossover Monitors

I have no experience with those monitors, so wont hazard a guess. But be careful about reports that the panel in two monitors is the same. That's only part of the monitor. The backlight behind the panel has a huge impact on color quality, uniformity, gamut, etc. End result is that two different monitors with the same LCD panel can end up having drastically different color performance.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.