FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Is this an FX Lens?

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is this an FX Lens?

AF - Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8 D.

If it is a DX lens, how will it function on a D700? What adjustments will I need to make to use it?

Thanks!

B

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:56 PM
MikeW
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is this an FX Lens?

it should work on an FX camera without issue.

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:57 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is this an FX Lens?

No adjustments needed at all, it is an FX lens.

Aug 26, 2012 at 03:01 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is this an FX Lens?

Thank you! B

Aug 26, 2012 at 03:12 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is this an FX Lens?

Lens designed for DX cameras will generally have DX in their description. Of course DX cameras will be able to mount lenses without that designation though less expensive cameras may require AF-s lenses, which means they have their own focusing motor. This subject is complicated enough that you may wish to check out this article which describes the different lenses and what the alphabet soup of letters me and which cameras they will work on. Shooting Nikon requires a bit of education in these matters.

Making Sense of Lens Acronyms by Thom Hogan

Aug 26, 2012 at 03:24 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is this an FX Lens?

Thanks CGrindahl! I am fairly new to all this and do find the numbers very confusing at times. I'm slowly plowing my way through your manual lens thread and trying like crazy to find good deals on ai-s lenses. I'm not having much luck though... Most that I find seem to be overpriced with the exception of a couple of great deals on super long lenses, but I can't afford them even at a good price.

I'd like to find a real nice, fast 85 or 105 for portraits.

Thanks for the article. I will check it out!

B

Aug 26, 2012 at 03:28 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is this an FX Lens?

The 85 f/1.4 AI-s is going to be very pricey, but you should be able to find a 105 f/2.5 AI or AI-s at a decent price. I even bought a couple of older versions of that lens that had been converted to AI, one of which I bought for less than a hundred dollars. Many folks buy from KEH but I find their prices a tad high and generally shop at E-Bay. You definitely should be able to find a 105 f/2.5 for under two hundred dollars.

Good luck trying to get through the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread. We're adding pages so fast my head is spinning. Picasa changed the way it was handling old photos I'd posted on that thread. I started at the beginning to replace them but gave up after 150 pages. We're fast approached 36,000 posts on that thread. Amazing.

There are some bargains out there that will really enjoy being mounted on your D700. Happy shopping!

Aug 26, 2012 at 03:55 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is this an FX Lens?

Thank you. I do not have a D700 yet, but will within a few months I believe. I am leasing one in a week or so for an event I'm shooting and wanted to make sure my 50mm would work fine on it. I have a D300s and the ai-s glass will work on it fine too.

What is a reasonable price for the 85 1/4 AI-s?

B

Aug 26, 2012 at 04:07 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is this an FX Lens?

f/1.4 sorry.

Aug 26, 2012 at 04:08 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is this an FX Lens?

Fx

Aug 26, 2012 at 04:11 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is this an FX Lens?

blutch wrote:
Thank you. I do not have a D700 yet, but will within a few months I believe. I am leasing one in a week or so for an event I'm shooting and wanted to make sure my 50mm would work fine on it. I have a D300s and the ai-s glass will work on it fine too.

What is a reasonable price for the 85 1/4 AI-s?

B

I bought a very clean copy used on the Buy and Sell forum for $600 and a participant on the thread just bought an EX+ copy on sale at KEH for under $630. If you are going to be using this lens for event work you'd perhaps be better off with an AF lens like the 85 f/1.4D which would go for a $150 more than the AI-s. I own both and love them both.

With regard to the D300 and MF lenses, you should be aware those who've done so felt the viewfinder was not their friend. Yes, you can register the lenses so the camera will meter, but you won't enjoy trying to gain focus with that viewfinder. The D700 is much better in that regard.

Aug 26, 2012 at 09:20 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is this an FX Lens?

Thank you. A D700 is in the plan. Probably before any of the lenses. Thanks! b

Aug 26, 2012 at 09:27 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is this an FX Lens?

I owned the 85/1.4 AIS for a long time, and love it -- but honestly if I were willing to skip AF, I'd probably get the Rokinon for half the price. For AF, the Sigma is by far the best bang for the buck -- essentially the same price as the AF-D, optically a little better, and with easy AF override.

For MF on a D700, the DK-17m eyepiece magnifier is money well spent.

Aug 26, 2012 at 09:35 PM
brewercm
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is this an FX Lens?

I like checking lenses at slrgear.com. They will give you a specks sheet on the lenses and tell if they are35mm or APS-C.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:19 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is this an FX Lens?

Grindahl, what about this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Nikon-105mm-f2-5-Non-AI-Nikkor-P-SN-421510-lens-/170846639102?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item27c740d3fe

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:27 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is this an FX Lens?

blutch wrote:
Grindahl, what about this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Nikon-105mm-f2-5-Non-AI-Nikkor-P-SN-421510-lens-/170846639102?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item27c740d3fe

That is a pre-ai lens and it could damage your camera if not converted. I'd say for $200 you should be able to find an AI, maybe even an AIS, but Curtis would know about pricing better than I.

*EDIT*

Never mind, in the description it says it's been AI'd, so looks good to me.

Looks to be in good shape too.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is this an FX Lens?

That is a non-AI 105/2.5, so it will not work on (and might damage) a D300/D700. The problem is that the rear of the lens can interfere with the camera's aperture follower mechanism. If you look at the back of the lens, the rear-most black ring is completely unbroken, while an AI (or AI-converted) lens will have a couple of notches and tabs milled in it, like this:

http://www.phobject.com/img/s11/v33/p866332769-4.jpg

This particular lens looks like it's AI, but it's actually a late non-AI, with AI cosmetics (rubber focus ring, etc.) and a factory AI conversion. Other converted lenses may look a little more home-brewed, but if done correctly they'll work fine.

The lens you've linked would have to be converted before it could be safely used on a modern DSLR.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is this an FX Lens?

DTOB wrote:
Never mind, in the description it says it's been AI'd, so looks good to me.

Looks to be in good shape too.

It may say it's been converted, but the pics reveal that it hasn't.

;- (

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:39 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is this an FX Lens?

Actually, looking again, it does NOT look to be AI's, judging from the 3rd to last picture given.

I was going by this: "MPN: AI'd105mmf/2.5Nikkor-PPortraitforNikon" but the pictures clearly show otherwise.

You are going to have to keep looking.

Smiert Spionam wrote:
It may say it's been converted, but the pics reveal that it hasn't.

;- (

Bah, you're too quick.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:40 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Is this an FX Lens?

This one says it's AI'd. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-AID-Nikkor-P-105MM-F2-5-Lens-625-FREE-SHIPPING-6-MONTH-WARRANTY-/110938704493?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item19d4764a6d

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:44 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.