New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Serial number on 5d

tonykriegmaui
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Serial number on 5d

So I bought a used 5d and it has been working for the past 6 months but now has stopped (err 01 with all lenses). About to send it in to Irvine and looked for the serial number in the usual place and its blank.

1. What does that mean- grey market original?
2. Will canon repair it do you think?

Aug 25, 2012 at 01:06 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Serial number on 5d

Canon doesn't care about grey market versus USA for out of warranty camera's, they just fix them and send you the bill. If the serial number is really missing then lots of possibilities, a couple of which are: worn off, and/or removed because the unit was stolen. Other reasons could exist but those are highly probable. Service techs can retrieve the serial number from the recorded number in the proms.

Dave

Aug 25, 2012 at 01:17 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Serial number on 5d

The 5D classic serial number (and a number of other Canons) is on the underside but it is possible it might rub off as has been reported by some posts on some forums. Mine is protected by the RRS L plate.

The serial number is available in the EXIF info attached to photographs. Programs like PhotoMe will show it.

If you post a JPEG from the camera (in-camera or converte Raw) with the EXIF intact via a site that does not strip off EXIF, then we can see it and give it to you. Careful about PS Save To The Web: older versions strip off EXIF and newer ones require a selection to keep it. Just Save As.

Canon will repair their cameras regardless of where they were sold. It is possible there are exceptions but I think they are few and far between. Nikon has a much more restrictive policy, much less user friendly.

Aug 25, 2012 at 01:30 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.