Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 7D + 5DII or 5DIII

Charles Gallo
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 7D + 5DII or 5DIII

A slight variant on the topic

I am the current owner of a 7D+grip (in great condition - not like it needs to be replaced - ony reason I bring that up), but for SOME of the work I'm doing I'd love to be able to 'go wider' than the 16-35 will go (and I won't buy EF-S lenses because I eventually want to go FF), and for other kinds of work (portrait etc), I think going FF would be 'a good thing'

The question is: Keep the 7D, and ADD a 5DII to the stable, or sell the 7D/grip/rrs plates etc, and buy a 5DIII.

Shooting wise, there is some sports (soccer), some wildlife (trying to get more into this, as I enjoy it) and mostly cityscapes/portrait work (it is what is around when you live in NYC)

Thoughts?

Aug 23, 2012 at 03:42 PM
diverhank
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 7D + 5DII or 5DIII

Very tough question to answer due to personal preferences. I have a 50D+grip and shoot mostly birds (BIF) but also want to do more landscapes. I've recently got a 5D Mk3 with the intention of keeping the 50D or getting the 7D for birds and action and use the 5DMk3 for everything else.

I have not touched the 50D since...the viewfinder of the full frame 5DMk3 is a dream and so is the autofocus. Taking BIF and action pictures with it is so easy...no more missed-focus shots (well almost). I'm sure at some point I'll miss the lack of reach but not yet. The 6fps is the same as my 50D so no change there...you might miss the 7D 8fps if you do that often. I've decided to use the 5DMk3 for everything. So far my surfing and BIF pictures turn out great. I suck at landscapes and my 24-105mm does not give me much with a 1.6 cropped. 24mm full frame is amazing. My landscapes already improved 3-fold. Your 16-35 will look gorgeous.

Aug 23, 2012 at 04:08 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #3 · 7D + 5DII or 5DIII

Charles,

If you like your 7D/grip setup and the images you are getting just add a 5D II and go wide with 16-35.
The prices are good in the buy/sell forum on used 5D II's.

the 5D III is excellent but expensive. Worth the cost if you need the pro level focusing.

Aug 23, 2012 at 04:42 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · 7D + 5DII or 5DIII

I've got the 7d and 5d2 combo, and it does allow for a huge amount of flexibility. The ONLY thing that bugs me with my 5d2 is the sluggish AF during the wedding reception. I have missed some great reaction shots due to the 5d2 taking that extra second to focus, and having to compose wider in order to use the center AF point and crop later can be a little extra work in post.

If you don't need to worry about that case, then take advantage of the bargain prices on 5d2's right now. The 5d2 + 70-200/2.8IS are absolutely fantastic for portraits.

Aug 23, 2012 at 05:00 PM
Malux
• •
p.1 #5 · 7D + 5DII or 5DIII

timbop wrote:
I've got the 7d and 5d2 combo, and it does allow for a huge amount of flexibility.

thanks timbop, I just ordered a 5DII on here today and took the advice i give people all the time "save the money and buy a lens". In my case that's going to be the 24-105 f/4L in another month or so.

I'll also use some of the leftover cash for more advertising for my workshops.

Aug 23, 2012 at 08:04 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · 7D + 5DII or 5DIII

Charles Gallo wrote:
A slight variant on the topic

I am the current owner of a 7D+grip (in great condition - not like it needs to be replaced - ony reason I bring that up), but for SOME of the work I'm doing I'd love to be able to 'go wider' than the 16-35 will go (and I won't buy EF-S lenses because I eventually want to go FF), and for other kinds of work (portrait etc), I think going FF would be 'a good thing'

The question is: Keep the 7D, and ADD a 5DII to the stable, or sell the 7D/grip/rrs plates
...Show more

well for the soccer the 5D3 is def the best since I think the better af is even more important than the better fps of the 7D (also you might easily get 2 useless extra blurred frames a lot of the time anyway for soccer from the 7D, so the fps will only sometimes work out better for some sports, it depends though on the lighting, and for say surfing the 7D AF tends to work out more often than for soccer IMO)

for cityscapes the 5D2/5D3 are close (unless natural light at very high iso when the 5D3 becomes better)

for portraits the 5D3 might be somewhat better since the AF locks on better, much so if you need to use outer points; i think the center points are: 5D3 best then 5D2 then 7D last and outer points: 5D3 best then 7D then 5D2 last

but for wildlife, that you can't get all that close too, the 7D is often best (although maybe 5D3 is a little better under certain super bad conditions)

for wildlife you can get close to 5D3 is best and 5D2 second best (similar image quality other than at very high iso but a bit better af for 5d3)

5D3 has the best video of the three, 7D the worst

5D3 the nicest UI then 7D then 5D2

Aug 23, 2012 at 09:00 PM
Charles Gallo
• • •
p.1 #7 · 7D + 5DII or 5DIII

Malux wrote:
thanks timbop, I just ordered a 5DII on here today and took the advice i give people all the time "save the money and buy a lens". In my case that's going to be the 24-105 f/4L in another month or so.

As I have the 16-35,24-70,70-200 (both F4 and f2.8), the 100-400 and a 50mm prime, there isn't really much I'm looking for lens wise

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dk411

p.1 #8 · 7D + 5DII or 5DIII

Charlie - Im in the same boat...thinking about adding a fast click to my bag like 7d...

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:58 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · 7D + 5DII or 5DIII

If I could only have one body for everything and shot a good mix of everything it would be the 5D3 for sure if I did a good mix of stuff included field sports (I really think 5D3 is a lot better than 7D in some situations).

If I did pretty much wildlife I might take the 7D unless the subjects were often approached close enough by lenses owned or they required absolutely top AF tracking.

If I did pretty only did landscapes I'd save money over the 5D3 and get a 5D2 especially if I did mostly very careful, slow, tripod based work.

If I did a general mix and only a little wildlife then I'd for sure take 5D3 over 7D+5D2.

Your scenario is perhaps one of the trickiest, it depends how much you weigh the extra reach for wildlife shooting versus how much you want something with truly top AF for sports (or even tricky low DOF portraits and such) and whether you want video without moire and the best at very high ISO under very tricky lighting as to whether the 5D3 or 5D2+7D. I'd lean 5D3 unless wildlife will really be one your next big things and it will be stuff where you won't always get all that close.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:40 AM
Charles Gallo
• • •
p.1 #10 · 7D + 5DII or 5DIII

Well, I cam to the answer - 7D + 5DIII

Sep 06, 2012 at 10:46 PM
Malux
• •
p.1 #11 · 7D + 5DII or 5DIII

Charles Gallo wrote:
Well, I cam to the answer - 7D + 5DIII

Nice! My answer was the 5DII + 24-105 + 7D. I still have to sell my 50D to pickup the 7D, but still. Congrats on the new camera. Enjoy!

Sep 07, 2012 at 12:38 AM
dmahar

p.1 #12 · 7D + 5DII or 5DIII

Charles

You won't regred the 7d + 5diii pairing. Although my 7d has tended to stay in the bag since upgrading my 5dii to the mark iii.
Happy shooting

Doug

Sep 07, 2012 at 12:54 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #13 · 7D + 5DII or 5DIII

5d3. It is the best all around FF camera on the market. Well unless you can get a 1dx.

Sep 07, 2012 at 05:36 AM
Scottgoh

p.1 #14 · 7D + 5DII or 5DIII

i will say 5D3 without reading much but
if you are getting paid for your work, then you do need a backup camera and now you will be left with one option...

Sep 07, 2012 at 05:57 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password