Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Replacement for 50mm 1.4

nrferguson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Replacement for 50mm 1.4

OK my old 50mm F1.4, which I bought when poorer than I am today, has had a terminal fall (something rattles inside, so I suspect it will be uneconomical to repair). It is not a lens I used much but my youngest daughter's wedding is approaching and (accepting my addiction for L glass) I thought I might compete with their official photographer - so, using a 5D III (I have a 7D as a second body), do I get:
1. 35mm F1.4 L (my preferred lens at present)
2. 50mm F1.2L ( lots of adverse comments in reviews about shallow DOF and front focussing)
3. A replacement 50mm F 1.4 (non-L)
Something else altogether?
Please give reasons for your choice
Niall

Aug 23, 2012 at 01:23 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Replacement for 50mm 1.4

nrferguson wrote:
It is not a lens I used much but my youngest daughter's wedding is approaching and (accepting my addiction for L glass) I thought I might compete with their official photographer - so, using a 5D III (I have a 7D as a second body), do I get:

Your the FATHER OF THE BRIDE . you really wont want/have time to compete with the official 'tog will you.

Aug 23, 2012 at 01:29 PM
nrferguson
• • •
p.1 #3 · Replacement for 50mm 1.4

Ian
Not much time (and none in the church - Farnborough Abbey - I don't know how she swung that) but I did get a few shots at the receptions for the previous two daughters which they put in their albums - anyway, it's a good excuse to acquire some more L-glass.
Niall

Aug 23, 2012 at 01:46 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Replacement for 50mm 1.4

Wow Farnborough Abbey is just round the corner from me.
A friend of mine has done a couple of shoots in there (at the monks permission) and it looks quite lovely in there.
If you need an excuse for some L satisfaction then I would probably vote for the 35L . it would be a nice lens on either of your bodies , and be different enough on either as well. you could always add a 50/1.4 at a later date (although I would choose the 85/1.8) .
Shame Is I just sold My very good 50/1.4 . It went for 200 .
For that I was very tempted to keep it , but as Ive just added a 17-55 to my bag I could see even less times of me using it

Aug 23, 2012 at 01:53 PM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #5 · Replacement for 50mm 1.4

My favorite wedding shots have come from a 50/1.2L mounted on a 7D. I'm currently using the Sigma 50/1.4. Its somewhere in between Canon's 1.4 and the 1.2 in terms of quality.

If money were not a factor, I'd go 50/1.2 without hesitation

Aug 23, 2012 at 01:58 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #6 · Replacement for 50mm 1.4

I had my 50 f1.4 repaired through CPS in the states and they said it was $85 flat fee, so you might want to check on that. If you don't need AF, I really like my Rokinon 35mm f1.4.

Aug 23, 2012 at 01:59 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Replacement for 50mm 1.4

I used 50/1.2L on my second camera at my daughter's wedding -- turned in some amazing shots, really great. So my vote is the 50. My other body had the 28-300L, and that was a terrific choice for all-around shooting, but the 50 produced the best "mood" shots and details. Full frame with both cameras.

Aug 23, 2012 at 02:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dimitris77
• • •
p.1 #8 · Replacement for 50mm 1.4

I have shot a couple of weddings with just 5D and a 35L. Of course I was not the professional photographer, rather did my own thing on the side, but I did just fine with just one lens. There was a thread of wedding photos done only with 35L and it was quiet marvelous. See if you can find it.

Aug 23, 2012 at 02:22 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Replacement for 50mm 1.4

Get the 50mm 1.2L. You will love it.

Aug 23, 2012 at 02:27 PM
mclldavidson
• •
p.1 #10 · Replacement for 50mm 1.4

Wow I just looked that church up on google, it is beautiful!

Aug 23, 2012 at 02:32 PM
lexvo
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Replacement for 50mm 1.4

For two months my 50/1.4 broke too (defective AF). I decided to get the 50/1.2 because I like to shoot with the 50mm focal length. After I MA'd it, the 50/1.2 performs great on my 5DmkII. I specially like the fact that the sharpness wide open is quite usable. However, if you tend to shoot mostly stopped down then there is not much difference in sharpness between the 50/1.4 and the 50/1.2

Your descision is a bit different though as you also contemplate buying a 35mm. I think your first choice should be which focal lenght you prefer.

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:39 AM
nrferguson
• • •
p.1 #12 · Replacement for 50mm 1.4

Thanks to everyone. I think, on balance I'll go for the 35mm My decision in part because I'll have a 35mm on my 5D and an effective 50mm on my 7D
Niall

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:09 PM
jrscls
• • •
p.1 #13 · Replacement for 50mm 1.4

For receptions, the 35 L, although I agree you might want to leave the camera at home.

Aug 24, 2012 at 03:14 PM
marcus riley
• •
p.1 #14 · Replacement for 50mm 1.4

After a little hassle (which I was prepared for and accepted), I got a great Sigma 50mm f1.4 and I love it. Definitely a solid lens that makes beautiful images.

I have a 35mm f1.4 now as well. It doesn't diffuse the background quite as much as the Sigma50, so not as buttery smooth looking, but it is also a gorgeous lens. Great colors, good blur, sharp at 1.4/VERY sharp at 1.6+, and a very useful focal length. As someone else mentioned, it's wide enough to get the sudden group pictures; but still tight enough that portraits don't look awkward, and tight enough you can still snap something across the room if needed.

Aug 24, 2012 at 03:19 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password