Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Lens Advice for Divorce Photos

the888account
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Lens Advice for Divorce Photos

This sort of assignment exists ? Personally, could think why people would want this "capturing".

Go with your 500mm, suerly has to have enough range on a x1.6. Got a 1.4 teleconverter?

Love to see some of these images mind!

Aug 23, 2012 at 04:02 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lens Advice for Divorce Photos

Property division discussions seem to be wrapping up…

Photo shot from a now damaged Bradley during a high speed pass…used a 300 f/4 shot from gun port, hand held… on the fly, as the lens rental co. wanted their 800 back after finding what it would be used for…

Aug 23, 2012 at 05:14 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lens Advice for Divorce Photos

onegreatcity wrote:
If she's anything like my ex, may I suggest the Hubble?

Lord I would "plus one" this for content alone!

Aug 23, 2012 at 07:10 PM
Malux
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lens Advice for Divorce Photos

take a nikon ?

Aug 23, 2012 at 08:00 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lens Advice for Divorce Photos

I know you're doing this for a friend, but have you even assisted photographing a divorce? Tackling your first divorce assignment without getting a little experience under your belt may not be the best idea. A lot of people start with pre-divorce photography, taking the images that are will be used as evidence on divorce day, then work their way up to actual divorce events.

One thing any experienced divorce photographer will tell you is have plenty of backup equipment: at least a second camera, lenses, batteries, flashes, cards, and Tazer. And keep those lens hoods on, you may have all sorts of things flying at your front element.

Get plenty of shots of the ex-bride. She'll have dieted, had a makeover, and anything else she can have done to look better on divorce day than she has in years. She may scream and throw some things at you right now, but after she's remarried and put those 20 pounds back on she'll be asking for copies of all the photos from this special day.

Is there going to be a separate videographer? You might be able to coordinate lighting and risks with him or her.

Aug 23, 2012 at 08:12 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Lens Advice for Divorce Photos

Call Captain Kirk ... I think he finally got that cloaking device working.

Then you can get some great macro or fisheye shots.

Aug 23, 2012 at 08:13 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Lens Advice for Divorce Photos

RCicala wrote:
I know you're doing this for a friend, but have you even assisted photographing a divorce? Tackling your first divorce assignment without getting a little experience under your belt may not be the best idea. A lot of people start with pre-divorce photography, taking the images that are will be used as evidence on divorce day, then work their way up to actual divorce events.

One thing any experienced divorce photographer will tell you is have plenty of backup equipment: at least a second camera, lenses, batteries, flashes, cards, and Tazer. And keep those lens hoods on, you may
...Show more

Being a frequent visitor to the wedding forum, this one made me laugh. Thanks, Roger!

Aug 23, 2012 at 08:22 PM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Lens Advice for Divorce Photos

Are you good with MF?

Get a camera with good LV+ 3 or 4 tripods+ Canon 800L + Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X+ Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X+ Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X+ Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X+ Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X+ Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X+ Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X+ Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X+ Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X+ Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X+ Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X+ Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X+ Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X+ Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X+ Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X+ Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X+ Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X+ Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X+ Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X+ Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X+ Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X...

Don't forget the BudaBag, Soda and popcorn

Aug 23, 2012 at 08:40 PM
Malux
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Lens Advice for Divorce Photos

AaronNegro wrote:
Canon2X + Canon 2X+ Canon 2X +Canon2X + Canon 2X...

lol!

Aug 23, 2012 at 08:47 PM
WalnutPond
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Lens Advice for Divorce Photos

You guys are such amateurs. I always use theCanon 5200 for this type of work.

Aug 23, 2012 at 08:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lukeb
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Lens Advice for Divorce Photos

jcolwell wrote:
Use a Nikon.

+1 And Insure It

Aug 23, 2012 at 08:58 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Lens Advice for Divorce Photos

RCicala wrote:

I was under the assumption that pre-divorce photography and wedding photography were very much one in the same, only separated by an arbitrary time period…determined by various habits, both learned and acquired, resulting in irreconcilable differences . I read part of a book one evening on The Art of Photographing the Wedding, and How to make Standout Pictures without having to stand out in the rain…

I’ve never meet anyone who survived….I mean became an experienced divorce photographer to be able to take advantage from their mistakes and learn from their successes…

When I applied for advice in the Wedding Forum, I was met with words and phrases I didn’t understand, and quite frankly, don’t believe I want to from the context that was used…

I’m looking for sound, useable advice I can apply and trust, to use in future endeavors as I advance my new found career…

Thanks for the input,
Jefferson

Aug 23, 2012 at 09:05 PM
fredmaurer
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Lens Advice for Divorce Photos

Talking about "insurance", a little OT, but who would have guessed such a thing exists!

(Not a commercial endorsement)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5OHEku155Y&feature=share&list=ULb5OHEku155Y

Jefferson, this could be part of you "pre-shooting scheduling"?

Well, maybe that is a poor choice of words?

Aug 23, 2012 at 09:12 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Lens Advice for Divorce Photos

fredmaurer wrote:
Talking about "insurance", a little OT, but who would have guessed such a thing exists!

(Not a commercial endorsement)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5OHEku155Y&feature=share&list=ULb5OHEku155Y

This gives me reason to continue and become successful, just knowing there ARE others out there that share my ambition and drive in my chosen field of photography…

Thanks for posting...

Aug 23, 2012 at 09:23 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Lens Advice for Divorce Photos

WalnutPond wrote:
You guys are such amateurs. I always use theCanon 5200 for this type of work.

How do you pack this glass for travel...would it fit in the standard B1B bombay or do I need something special like the B2?...I may have access to a used B-52, and with a GPS driven tail section added and remote wireless, it could be delivered over the site as the proceedings begin...that may be the way to do this...

How much does it cost?

Aug 23, 2012 at 09:33 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Lens Advice for Divorce Photos

Jefferson wrote:
... How much does it cost?

If you have to ask...

Aug 23, 2012 at 09:43 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Lens Advice for Divorce Photos

Aug 23, 2012 at 09:45 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Lens Advice for Divorce Photos

There are many who believe that when there could be a risk to the front element, such as from hazardous or dangerous materials flying about, that it is a fine idea to a protective UV filter. Consider this.

Given that the time between your first shot and the point when the subject acquires his/her target may be rather limited, it could be advantageous to have a camera with a very high burst mode rate and deep buffer to ensure that you are able to capture sufficient frames - both for the client and also to provide evidence at later court proceedings. This could speak for the 1Dx, though some might prefer the fastest Nikon model in this case.

Also, in terms of minimizing your exposure, though not, unfortunately, eliminating it, you should consider using a laptop and an application such as those provided with the camera or possibly others to remotely operate the camera and see the live view screen images.

I also recommend drawing up a list of next of kin, getting your directive and will in order, and so forth.

Enjoy.

Jefferson wrote:
I may have the opportunity to shoot a friends divorce proceedings in the near future…rather than taking the chance of having an expensive lens such as a 35L…50L…or 85L destroyed by flying objects, I was thinking more along the lines of the 500 f/4L, on a 1.6 crop body, for the serving of the divorce papers, as that should give me a safe distance from flying objects at the time of the serve….and maybe a rented 800 f/5.6L for the “finals”, understanding the subject has a pretty good arm and a firearms permit…of course, insurance will be in play to
...Show more

Edited on Aug 24, 2012 at 12:36 AM · View previous versions

Aug 23, 2012 at 09:57 PM
Kell
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Lens Advice for Divorce Photos

be sure to use a rose colored lens filter

Aug 23, 2012 at 09:58 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Lens Advice for Divorce Photos

RCicala wrote:
I know you're doing this for a friend, but have you even assisted photographing a divorce? Tackling your first divorce assignment without getting a little experience ...
Is there going to be a separate videographer? You might be able to coordinate lighting and risks with him or her.

Great one Roger! You've given me the confidence to answer frankly:

As an experienced wedding photographer who has divorced from the FM wedding forum, I feel that I can offer advice from a background of rationality and purity that could be of value to you.

First of all, you must abandon the idea that a Zeiss 3D look or f/1.2 bokeh will cause your clients to fawn over you and buy truckloads of canvas prints. The most important aspect of both wedding and divorce photography is capturing emotion. If you can show how the soon to be ex-wife feels as she tears up the once-prized wedding photo, it won't matter if the old print is a bit out of focus. As for the new shot, even focusing on her further eye rather than the near one will pale in significance compared to the expression on her face. The ex-husband will pay big bucks for your shot, I assure you.

The biggest difference between the business of wedding photography and that of divorce photography is that parents add a lot to your bottom line in the former, whereas in the latter it is friends who will pay. Consider that the ex-husband's "friends" may want pictures of his former wife. Do not overlook the chance to sell digital downloads through a web hosting service. Also, learn to use Facebook and Twitter to your advantage, but beware of Pinterest. You may wish to be careful that all of your divorce pics are watermarked through the center with your URL.

Good luck in this new phase of your career! Remember that today's divorcees are tomorrow's brides, and today's newly single men are tomorrow's angry wannabees.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:09 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password