Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Help me fairly price (aka, why is no one buying my sh*t?)

elader
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help me fairly price (aka, why is no one buying my sh*t?)

So whats a fair price for an extremely clean, low mileage 1d mkIII with all accs? I was asking 1500 on the B&S - is this high? or do you think people have just moved on to more mp?

Also, a 580EX with a flashzebra miniport installed. $225? I mean really, what can you get for $225?

I hate to sell nice gear on ebay and hate craigslist even more. So, is it the price or do my underarms smell or both?

Aug 22, 2012 at 01:34 PM
bipock
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help me fairly price (aka, why is no one buying my sh*t?)

I think both prices are fair. Just depends on timing. For example, 2 months ago, when a 500 f4 showed up on the forums, it was gone within a couple hours. Not the case now.

I think the economy coupled with summer winding down and people trying to get in those last minute vacations or school supplies has folks a little tight on money.

Not a pricing problem, just a funding issue

Aug 22, 2012 at 01:44 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help me fairly price (aka, why is no one buying my sh*t?)

The prices are very fair, but keep in mind you have a more limited market here, and the buyers are knowledgeable and looking for great deals. I like to advertise here first for special gear, but move to eBay for more certain sales, if occasionally for less money to me after fees.

On this forum especially, the used 1D3 is competing directly against used 5D2 for the same price. Guess which will attract more buyers and offer more functional use?

Aug 22, 2012 at 02:00 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help me fairly price (aka, why is no one buying my sh*t?)

That is a reasonable price. Overall, I think used sales are a bit slow now anyway. Problem is there are high milage bargains showing up, once and while even below $1400. That kind of dampens the sale of better 1D3 units.

Post great samples taken with your cam, throw in some extras to sweeten the deal, and/or lower the price if you need to get it sold sooner than later. It might sell easily at $1475, just because it's below the $1500 barrier.

Aug 22, 2012 at 02:48 PM
carlsbadbum
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help me fairly price (aka, why is no one buying my sh*t?)

elader wrote:
I hate to sell nice gear on ebay and hate craigslist even more.

You just limited yourself to ~75% of the market, eBay ding you 10% but it'll get it sell if you use auction and CL you just have to deal with the wishy washy but at the end you get cash.

Years ago I listed my 1V HS here, weeks pass and not a bite, then I put on CL in San Diego and Orange county. A few looky-loos and flakes which wasted my time. Finally I listed on eBay and starts at 99 cents. At the end I got $180 more than my asking price. After all the fees I'm still ahead.

My experience, B&S or CL you're dealing with pro shoppers, most are looking for a steal since they know the price. On ebay auction you snooze you loose.

Aug 22, 2012 at 03:45 PM
elader
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help me fairly price (aka, why is no one buying my sh*t?)

OK, Ebay here i come...

Aug 22, 2012 at 04:36 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help me fairly price (aka, why is no one buying my sh*t?)

Ive seen several mkIIIs go for around 1100-1200 recently. I think people are looking for those sorts of deals now.

Aug 22, 2012 at 05:12 PM
carlsbadbum
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help me fairly price (aka, why is no one buying my sh*t?)

elader wrote:
OK, Ebay here i come...

FYI I always use the auction style for 7 days and start at 99cents, you can see the number of watchers waiting at the sideline for the last second kill. Keep at eye out for bidders with low score because those are the troublesome buyers, sometime I block their bids.

Aug 22, 2012 at 05:33 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help me fairly price (aka, why is no one buying my sh*t?)

The 1DIII price has been getting hammered of late. I know I just sold one. I think it is a combination of people being surprised at the quality of 5DIII AF and the 1Dx finally arriving.

I'd never try to sell anything significant on CL as the dominate theme is cheap and cheaper. I prefer to sell here since I can generally tell that the buyer is likely to be well versed and will actually care for and use the camera.

Fleabay prices tend higher (though you never know), but after eBay and Paypal take their bite it's not as good as it might first appear.

As Carl noted above, I always do 7 day auctions (timed to end Sunday evening), start at $0.99, no minimum, provide lots of pix and do sell only to Canada/US. Also watch for those with low/no scores. Harder to tell. The downside of eBay is that if the buyer goes weird on you, you will get screwed as the seller is ALWAYS wrong.

HTH

Robert

Aug 22, 2012 at 05:52 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help me fairly price (aka, why is no one buying my sh*t?)

Unlike the 1DS3, the 1D3 doesnt have enough resolution to compete with the newer cameras. The 7D is also very close in speed, has really good AF and has video and other features a lot of people want at around the same price. It does not mean the 1D3 is a bad camera but its becoming more and more a tough sell. Thats expected, the same thing happened to the 1D2. Its just the natural progression of things. I would not feel bad selling a 1D3 for $1200 even if I paid full price. I sold my 1D2 for $900 and I purchased it new. I got a LOT of great images out of it, many of them I was being paid for. That camera must have helped me make about $100,000 over 5 years.

Aug 22, 2012 at 06:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help me fairly price (aka, why is no one buying my sh*t?)

Seems like canon gear is not moving well in general on the B&S forum. Could be summer doldrums, glut of gear from switchers to nikon, or everyone's broke right now.

Aug 22, 2012 at 09:56 PM
dfresh
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help me fairly price (aka, why is no one buying my sh*t?)

Whats wrong with CL? I bought and sold a lot of stuff when I lived in the DC/MD/VA area without any problems (MA is a different story). The only hassle is dealing with lowball emails or easy-to-spot scam emails. Since you don't need to pay for shipping or worrying about paypal fees you can list it lower too.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Help me fairly price (aka, why is no one buying my sh*t?)

elader wrote:
So whats a fair price for an extremely clean, low mileage 1d mkIII with all accs? I was asking 1500 on the B&S - is this high? or do you think people have just moved on to more mp?

Also, a 580EX with a flashzebra miniport installed. $225? I mean really, what can you get for $225?

I hate to sell nice gear on ebay and hate craigslist even more. So, is it the price or do my underarms smell or both?

I saw your ad and was actually really tempted by the flash... Anyway, thanks for posting this, it's an informative thread.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:02 PM
carlsbadbum
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Help me fairly price (aka, why is no one buying my sh*t?)

dfresh wrote:
Whats wrong with CL? ....The only hassle is dealing with lowball emails or easy-to-spot scam emails. Since you don't need to pay for shipping or worrying about paypal fees you can list it lower too.

My problem is dealing with flakes on CL, guy said he's going to show up but never do, and never bother to call they decided to pass.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Help me fairly price (aka, why is no one buying my sh*t?)

timbop wrote:
Seems like canon gear is not moving well in general on the B&S forum. Could be summer doldrums, glut of gear from switchers to nikon, or everyone's broke right now.

Some of it has to do with people wanting prices which I would consider very high for what is being sold. A year back a new 24-70 was going for less than $1,300 where now I see people asking for $1,400 used in some cases and then saying this is NET to me. or people looking for $350 plus fees for their 50mm 1.4 when a brand new one costs $359 shipped. Those people who price fairly for stuff that can be universally used, see their stuff go quickly.

I've been watching prices lately for the higher end cameras vs what I have and while the 1D3 is a fine camera, it is two generations old, so even lower end stuff being sold may have better features at a cheaper price. Plus, with a lot of people upgrading from the 1D4 and 5DII you have one generation old models going for good prices.

Like the guy at work here told me... bodies drop like a rock, but glass holds value.

Aug 23, 2012 at 02:52 PM
Binh Ly
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Help me fairly price (aka, why is no one buying my sh*t?)

Your prices are fine. It is a slow economy and lots of people want a deal. I have noticed that even if I price fairly, I still get PMs wanting a deal. And by a deal, I mean prices that they (buyer) themselves would probably never sell the gear at if the situation was reversed.

If you're patient and don't need to sell immediately, you should be fine.

Aug 23, 2012 at 03:51 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Help me fairly price (aka, why is no one buying my sh*t?)

I have consistently sold my gear very quickly just by selling about 10% less than the average price of a similar item at the time. It doesnt seem like much but makes a huge difference in how fast an item sells.

Aug 23, 2012 at 03:56 PM
adamo99
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Help me fairly price (aka, why is no one buying my sh*t?)

GC5 wrote:
Ive seen several mkIIIs go for around 1100-1200 recently. I think people are looking for those sorts of deals now.

Here as well. The last two I saw sell locally were both < $1100.

Aug 23, 2012 at 04:11 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Help me fairly price (aka, why is no one buying my sh*t?)

mikeinctown wrote:
Some of it has to do with people wanting prices which I would consider very high for what is being sold. A year back a new 24-70 was going for less than $1,300 where now I see people asking for $1,400 used in some cases and then saying this is NET to me. or people looking for $350 plus fees for their 50mm 1.4 when a brand new one costs $359 shipped. Those people who price fairly for stuff that can be universally used, see their stuff go quickly.

I've been watching prices lately for the higher end cameras vs
...Show more

Yes, there are a lot of high expectations - but elader's prices are fine. I've seen a lot of 5d2's, 7d's, and even solid glass like the 17-55 and 100 macro sitting for days at discount prices.

Aug 23, 2012 at 04:54 PM
elader
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Help me fairly price (aka, why is no one buying my sh*t?)

oh the horror. A T3i or a 1dmkIII

Aug 23, 2012 at 04:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password