Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              11       12       end

Archive 2012 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

The Nikon D4x is expected by may 2013. I am pretty sure we will se a Canon 1DXS announced before then.

Aug 22, 2012 at 02:26 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

I still want 50+MP, 16 Bit, 1FPS for landscape. I'll even settle for 1 frame every 2 -3 seconds. For those whom don't understand why 16 bits, yopu need to study how binary works.

Aug 22, 2012 at 02:29 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

Paul Gardner wrote:
I still want 50+MP, 16 Bit, 1FPS for landscape. I'll even settle for 1 frame every 2 -3 seconds. For those whom don't understand why 16 bits, yopu need to study how binary works.

Are you imagining that 16-bits would give you finer gradations of luminosity levels or a larger dynamic range? There are things to consider in either case.

Dan

Aug 22, 2012 at 02:35 PM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

artd wrote:
An almost identical rumor was posted on northlight-images. That one however also mentions 16bit raw files. And that is red flag for me, makes me think it is someone's wish list. Because from a technical point there is not really much to be gained from going 14-bit to 16-bit. Well, except maybe marketing spin.

Well there you go, then, that makes it a virtual certainty that this rumor is true!

After all, Canon never misses an opportunity to confuse a reasonable consumer feature request (increased DR/IQ, for example), instead implementing some vacant techno-wizardry that helps no one. Consider Canon finally trading the completely useless 'Direct Print' button for the nearly-as-useless 'Rate' button, then choosing to make it re-assignable only to the equally-as-useless 'Protect' function.

Gotta love it...

-J

Aug 22, 2012 at 02:41 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

splathrop wrote:
Can any new high MP Canon be a full-featured professional camera, like the 1DX, and still compete on price? Wouldn't that leave the field open to Nikon and the D800, at a much lower price?

That is a very interesting question, and I'm certain it is one that Canon's marketing folks must think about a lot. Not only must they produce a higher MP camera at some point not far in the future, but they have to consider how it plays against the impressive price point of the D800 and D800e.

They could, I suppose, try to skirt the issue by producing some super-DSLR at a very high price point - essentially a replacement for the 1Ds series - that somehow truly outperformed the D800 is many ways, and not just MP count. This could allow them to claim the high ground... but it would also leave them at least temporarily weak in terms of competition with others producing high MP full frame bodies at a lower price point. (While some would be fine with that, as a broad market strategy it has problems.)

What they will more likely do is produce a camera that competes both on price and MP count and other features with the D800/D800e. While I understand the facts about how most people don't really need 36MP and higher, in the marketing world perception can be as or more important than such facts. The perception has been that Canon was the market leader in producing high-end DSLRs. That perception has been weakened and could be reversed if there is too long of a delay.

I suppose that one strategy to by time might be to introduce the high-end camera, with its higher (and, for most, out of reach) price point and simultaneously announce future release of the lower cost version - though that would also have its dangers.

One can imagine some other possibilities, too.

The interesting times promise to continue. :-)

Dan

Aug 22, 2012 at 02:44 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

Jeff wrote:
Yes, you create opportunities to remind us every chance you get (and even some you don't); I think we've got it now.

Looks like somebody is running out of excuses here to defend that the 5D III will be "the" ultimate Canon camera for quite a while to come.

Aug 22, 2012 at 03:09 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

gdanmitchell wrote:
That is a very interesting question, and I'm certain it is one that Canon's marketing folks must think about a lot. Not only must they produce a higher MP camera at some point not far in the future, but they have to consider how it plays against the impressive price point of the D800 and D800e.

They could, I suppose, try to skirt the issue by producing some super-DSLR at a very high price point - essentially a replacement for the 1Ds series - that somehow truly outperformed the D800 is many ways, and not just MP count. This could allow
...Show more

Excellent points, Dan, I was asking myself the same questions. I am afraid Canon tries to aim (too?) high with another 1D series high MP FF body ignoring to match a direct D800 counterpart. I suspect Canon will announce shortly before or at Photokina this new high MP FF camera, but it might not hit the market until beginning of next year. If it is a 1D series body, we need to wait likely another half year before this sensor technology is implemented into something similar to D800. At this point Nikon surely will release something new, too, leaving Canon behind (again).

Aug 22, 2012 at 03:14 PM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

retrofocus wrote:
As I also said, we will see 5D III prices dropping sharply very soon, too.....

Jeff wrote:
Yes, you create opportunities to remind us every chance you get (and even some you don't); I think we've got it now.

retrofocus wrote:
Looks like somebody is running out of excuses here to defend that the 5D III will be "the" ultimate Canon camera for quite a while to come.

Don't think I ever said that, you must have me confused with someone else.

Aug 22, 2012 at 03:37 PM
artd
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

Paul Gardner wrote:
For those whom don't understand why 16 bits, yopu need to study how binary works.

Unfortunately, a 16 bit data pipeline will not give you anything 14 bits won't. The only thing those 2 extra bits would do is quantize random noise.

Aug 22, 2012 at 03:56 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

retrofocus wrote:
we need to wait likely another half year before this sensor technology is implemented into something similar to D800. At this point Nikon surely will release something new, too, leaving Canon behind (again).

I'm less pessimistic about this. Canon isn't perfect - what company is? - and they make their mistakes, but they also have a history of generally doing the right thing and producing very competitive products. In addition, there is plenty of precedent for Canon introducing new features in cameras other than the top-end products.

I have no inside information, but assuming (quite reasonably) that Canon understand the issues and what is at stake, I don't think it will be that long before they act.

Dan

Aug 22, 2012 at 04:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

retrofocus
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

gdanmitchell wrote:
I'm less pessimistic about this. Canon isn't perfect - what company is? - and they make their mistakes, but they also have a history of generally doing the right thing and producing very competitive products. In addition, there is plenty of precedent for Canon introducing new features in cameras other than the top-end products.

I have no inside information, but assuming (quite reasonably) that Canon understand the issues and what is at stake, I don't think it will be that long before they act.

Dan

I hope you are right, I cross my fingers here, too. But I am just a bit more cautious since I saw some recent Canon developments totally out of place in regard to pricing and features (the 24-70 II is such example). But I also think that Canon realized that things were not going the right way, and that they are making positive changes now.

Aug 22, 2012 at 04:40 PM
jffielde
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

From the last sentence at Canonrumors.com:

"Another feature mentioned about the camera is better heat dissipation of the sensor compared to other EOS cameras. Apparently, this results in industry leading low ISO performance."

Could this go to anything but dynamic range? All these cameras are clean at base ISO.

Aug 22, 2012 at 05:08 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

Canonrumor just states something about a 1Dc model (without any specs given)....sounds a bit like an April joke regarding a price tag of $15K......this would be a bummer if true...

Aug 24, 2012 at 03:24 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

retrofocus wrote:
Canonrumor just states something about a 1Dc model (without any specs given)....sounds a bit like an April joke regarding a price tag of $15K......this would be a bummer if true...

1DC was announced some time ago. The canonrumor post is about availability.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon/newsroom?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e02480533ee2

Aug 24, 2012 at 03:26 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

Okay, I have missed this info in the past about 1Dc. Confusing a bit, still.....

Aug 24, 2012 at 03:28 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

People forget that before the D800, The 5D2 was the best value DSLR in regards to Image Quality. Nikon had nothing for several years to compete with it. Nothing. Now they have the D800/e and we, Canon folk, have to suck it up and hold on.

In fact, wasnt the 5D2 announced on the 2008 Photokina? Nikon had no comparable MP full frame dslr until the D3X that following december, and at more than double the price! Thats pretty sad. Imagine how the Nikon folk felt. The had to wait nearly 4 years for the D800!

Aug 24, 2012 at 03:34 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

artd wrote:
Unfortunately, a 16 bit data pipeline will not give you anything 14 bits won't. The only thing those 2 extra bits would do is quantize random noise.

And slow down data transfers and potentially the frame rate.

Aug 24, 2012 at 03:36 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

Sneakyracer wrote:
People forget that before the D800, The 5D2 was the best value DSLR in regards to Image Quality. Nikon had nothing for several years to compete with it. Nothing. Now they have the D800/e and we, Canon folk, have to suck it up and hold on.

In fact, wasnt the 5D2 announced on the 2008 Photokina? Nikon had no comparable MP full frame dslr until the D3X that following december, and at more than double the price! Thats pretty sad. Imagine how the Nikon folk felt. The had to wait nearly 4 years for the D800!

True what you are saying about the 5D MkII. Nikon had nothing to offer against in the beginning which made IMO the 5D MkII one of the most profitable cameras in Canon's DSLR history. Still I doubt that we need to wait a long time to see something like the D800 (or even something better) coming from Canon. As discussed earlier above, question is just in which form it comes first - as 1D series model or at the same time or even earlier as addition in the 5D line.

Aug 24, 2012 at 03:58 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

Sneakyracer wrote:

+10

My talking all the last couple of month. And not only Nikon did not have any comparing product in IQ/ISO/resolution. Nobody had. Even Canon themself was not able to top their own 5D II for another 3.5 years.

People forget fast ...

Aug 24, 2012 at 05:25 PM
artd
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

Ralph Conway wrote:
+10

My talking all the last couple of month. And not only Nikon did not have any comparing product in IQ/ISO/resolution. Nobody had. Even Canon themself was not able to top their own 5D II for another 3.5 years.

People forget fast ...

And...so what?

We are supposed to be grateful to Canon? We are supposed to admire them for a product they made 3.5 years ago? I don't buy a camera based on admiration of a company's past achievements. I don't buy a camera today based on company's offerings 3.5 years ago. I choose to buy based on their offerings today.

People seem to love to make this into a Canon vs. Nikon historical competition, to talk up how one company has done this or that better. To be blunt, I don't care. It doesn't matter to me. What matters to me is who makes the equipment right now that I want to use.

Aug 24, 2012 at 07:34 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password