Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · My first attempt at a composite image (Joel Grimes style)

kylehess10
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · My first attempt at a composite image (Joel Grimes style)

I've always admired Joel Grimes' work so I wanted to give it a try. I'm not switching to this style of work full-time but this was just meant to be for fun and something I can do once in awhile if I want to add some creativity to my photos, so I'm curious to know if I'm getting it right. C&C much appreciated!

Nikon D3
Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8
1/25 shutter
f/8
ISO 250

YN560 II shot through 22" Cowboy Studio beauty dish w/diffuser, overhead subject, shot at 1/4th power

(2) Nikon SB600's, each shot through 24x24 softbox w/homemade grid, each @ 1/8th power, positioned at 10:00 & 2:00 behind subject

White foam board at the subjects knees to bounce a little bit of light back up

Post-processing done in Photoshop CS5, with a few tweaks in Lightroom 3

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:33 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · My first attempt at a composite image (Joel Grimes style)

Stunning - an entirely new world to explore!

Plus, the cathedral itself appears to offer many opportunities!

Great work.

Bob

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:37 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · My first attempt at a composite image (Joel Grimes style)

Nicely Done ... @ Plausible Realism (i.e. I could have perceived it as a single image creatively staged and post styled).

I'm taking particular note at your attention to your lighting angles ... referring to the post work to create a shaft of light from the upper right window to his neck, as well as the coordination of the backlighting from the main windows. In that regard the haloing/perimeter dodging of your subject is more believable, as well as inferring additional light coming from unseen windows.

My preference would maybe be for a slightly less HDR look to the background, as it seems to have a bit more of that look than the subject that kinda tips things @ PP magic, but still ... quite well done. The color of his wasitband catches my attention a bit as well. BUT, way easier to "nit" than to do ... your effort and attention to detail is admirable ... particularly for a "first attempt".

OT @ the 16-28

The curvature in the columns, etc. ... were you shooting with the camera tilted upwards, or were you shooting straight with the film plane perpendicular to the ground? I'm considering the Tokina and am wondering @ its distortion characteristics ... albeit understanding of UWA's "tricky" usage at keeping things straight vs. inducing curvature (vs. lens distortion).

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:55 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · My first attempt at a composite image (Joel Grimes style)

Yes, wouldn't you like to try this with a 17TSE?

This is a very good job as far as I can see, and I am really out of my comfort zone on architecture or portraiture. But I have tried composites and this is very well done. Not the least the cutting out of the figure, but the tonal matching to the cathedral interior.

Aug 21, 2012 at 02:44 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · My first attempt at a composite image (Joel Grimes style)

+1 @ tone matching ... no small feat.

Aug 21, 2012 at 03:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · My first attempt at a composite image (Joel Grimes style)

Very nice job... Every time we, as photographers, believe we are getting a handle on photography something comes along that screams, TRY ME...

Aug 21, 2012 at 06:21 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · My first attempt at a composite image (Joel Grimes style)

You nailed it!

Aug 21, 2012 at 08:10 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · My first attempt at a composite image (Joel Grimes style)

So far beyond my skill set and done so well, I am in awe!
Bravo!!
Not only is the selection and compositing done without telltale signs, but the lighting looks great. I love the subject(s) and the HDRish look for this image.

Scott

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:16 PM
HawksFan66
• •
p.1 #9 · My first attempt at a composite image (Joel Grimes style)

That is very cool. I'm digging the pic of the old church by itself. Nicely done.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:48 PM
PerlaD300
• •
p.1 #10 · My first attempt at a composite image (Joel Grimes style)

Smoking cool.....:-)...very nicely done.

Aug 28, 2012 at 06:44 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password