New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Faint Square Pattern in SuperGloss Prints

smcphotos
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Faint Square Pattern in SuperGloss Prints

I received some Fuji SuperGloss prints from Aspen Creek Photo today, and overal the prints turned out well. I used the ICC profiles to soft proof in Lightroom, and the color seems to be a good match. However, on the 3 SuperGloss prints, the sky area has a very faint square pattern in the sky area. Does anyone know what could have caused this? Each of the files used were 300 DPI JPG with ample resolution.

Aug 20, 2012 at 05:45 PM
colinm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Faint Square Pattern in SuperGloss Prints

Any chance you shoot or scan the prints? That would help us offer a better-informed idea.

Off the top of my head without seeing it, it could be a JPEG artifact, it could be a sharpening artifact, or it could be posterization.

Aug 20, 2012 at 07:09 PM
smcphotos
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Faint Square Pattern in SuperGloss Prints

Coliln,

I scanned the print for you. Here's a crop sample at 100% of both the scan and the originally submitted file for print.

100% Crop Sample of Originally Submitted JPG File

100% Crop Sample from Print Showing Faint Square Pattern (Scanned)

Full Image with Faint Square Pattern Apparent in Sky (Scanned Print)

Full Image of Originally Submitted JPG File, Without Square Pattern

Aug 21, 2012 at 08:31 AM
Bernie
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Faint Square Pattern in SuperGloss Prints

Ask them what is going on. You might be eligible for a reprint.

Some software applies a low level pattern when sharpening, but this looks to me like a mistake. Even sharpening, adding contrast & saturation, and a photo filter shouldn't have created such a pattern.

There's also a white spec on the upper right which could be a particle that came off the paper after printing.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM
smcphotos
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Faint Square Pattern in SuperGloss Prints

Thanks for the reply, Bernie. Yes, there also seems to be a flaw in the print. I noticed the white spec in the top-right area, too.

I tried not to aggressively pre-sharpen the files, given the inherent "pop" that SuperGloss paper provides.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:33 AM
smcphotos
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Faint Square Pattern in SuperGloss Prints

Update: Rich from Aspen Creek has been fantastic help, working with me on the issue. Thanks to his prompt feedback and customer service, I'm confident that we'll get the issue resolved. Apparently the issue was related to the way the file uploaded via the ROES software, resulting in an exceptionally rare occurence of developing a pattern.

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:55 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.