Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D800 battery grip... Why?

CanonGolfGuy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 battery grip... Why?

Can someone enlighten me as to why it doesn't hold two batteries? It looks like it should be big enough to hold two. Maybe this is the Canon shooter in me holding me back from buying the grip, but I don't really like the idea of only getting one battery in the grip.

Also, if anyone has any thoughts on third party grips (like the Pixel) I would appreciate your opinions.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:13 PM
jason.hilsdon

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 battery grip... Why?

Keep in mind that the battery grip is also designed to take the D4 battery, which is quite a bit larger than the standard battery for the D800.

On my D700, the D3(s) battery consumed around 80% of the space inside of the grip, I would expect the D4 battery would be similar.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:34 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 battery grip... Why?

the grip holds one battery and the camera holds the other. 2 batteries total the same as canon. The build quality is better on the Nikon no flexing it feels as if it is part of the body. Because the grip does not insert inside the Nikon body the weather sealing stays intact.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:34 PM
CanonGolfGuy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 battery grip... Why?

D4 battery + grip is $560.

I don't really like the idea of having to take the battery grip off every time I want to change the battery in the camera too. How long will AA batteries last? I have a bunch of Eneloops that I could use.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:27 AM
hans98ko
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 battery grip... Why?

CanonGolfGuy wrote:

Nope! You're not there yet.
You would need a BL-5 Battery Chamber Cover, and a MH-26 Battery Charger. That would easily cost you another $150.

Aug 20, 2012 at 04:26 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800 battery grip... Why?

We don't even use the standard Nikon batteries. We use Eneloop AA batteries in the grip instead. Much cheaper and last longer.

Aug 20, 2012 at 04:47 AM
hjanssen
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800 battery grip... Why?

CanonGolfGuy wrote:
I don't really like the idea of having to take the battery grip off every time I want to change the battery in the camera too.

On my D700(and before D300) I hardly never charge my incamera battery only 3 or 4 times a year.

Aug 20, 2012 at 05:21 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800 battery grip... Why?

hjanssen wrote:
On my D700(and before D300) I hardly never charge my incamera battery only 3 or 4 times a year.

+1

Aug 20, 2012 at 09:13 AM
CanonGolfGuy
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800 battery grip... Why?

Gee, thanks Hans. That really makes me feel better.

Dave, how long will the Eneloops last for you? I've got a bunch of those.

Good to know on the in cam battery not needing changing as much.

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:30 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D800 battery grip... Why?

Same with the D700 -- one battery in the grip, the other in the camera.

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D800 battery grip... Why?

CanonGolfGuy wrote:

I don't really like the idea of having to take the battery grip off every time I want to change the battery in the camera too. How long will AA batteries last? I have a bunch of Eneloops that I could use.

I almost always never do. i have the camera set to use battery in grip first then the camera. I hardly ever deplete the grip battery to the point it switched to the internal camera battery. i usually do this for 4-5 charges of the grip battery then i rotate them and cycle the camera battery in the grip few times.

If you shoot enough in the day to kill both batteries then your doing a lot of shooting.

Aug 20, 2012 at 02:13 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.