Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · New 7D2 rumor on Canonrumors.com

surf monkey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · New 7D2 rumor on Canonrumors.com

Lars Johnsson wrote:
No it means they just made it up for fun. Like the other hundreds of camera and lens rumors that never turn out to be anything

This is more a speculation page than a rumor page. And maybe turning into a wishlist page.
Most of the stuff posted on Canonrumors never happens or is competely wrong, especially the CR1 stuff.
But if you post enough rumors, a few of them are bound to be true.

Aug 20, 2012 at 02:03 PM
40Driggs
• •
p.2 #2 · New 7D2 rumor on Canonrumors.com

I'm not holding my breath on a CR1 rumor either.

My suspicion is that APS-C is on its way out for advanced amateurs. Early popularity for the 5d mark III (despite a relatively high cost) tells me that an entry level FF camera would probably be a better seller and I suspect that Canon will replace the 7D with the 70D. I think that FF will be trickling down to all the cameras soon, except for maybe an entry level model or two.

Aug 20, 2012 at 02:55 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · New 7D2 rumor on Canonrumors.com

surf monkey wrote:
Wouldn't they need to replace the 7D first?
If they upgrade the 70D, then it would be superior to the model that's supposed to be above it in the lineup.
The 60D is also newer than the 7D.

It's true that 60D is newer. On the other hand, 60D has been in the market longer than any of its predecessors. Normally, a life cycle of a xxD DLSR is around a year and a half. 50D was longer at almost two years, and it's been about 2 years now for 60D.

Let's imagine you're Canon. You want to sell your products. What do you want to do? To me, 60D is the one that needs a replacement, because I think it's hurt its series as people think of it as an upgraded Rebel.

That's my logic to why I, like many people, believe Canon won't release a 7D II anytime soon. Who know? Maybe, we will never ever see it. xxD series should have been their APS-C flagship anyway, especially when it's less desirable in the possibly near future. Well, I could be wrong though.

It'll be like a dream if Canon uses current 7D AF in the new 70D and a similar AF to 5D III in the new 7D II. Canon has new people to direct them now, maybe that will happen. But you will have to pay premium for it as well.

Aug 20, 2012 at 03:26 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · New 7D2 rumor on Canonrumors.com

Wahoowa wrote:
It's true that 60D is newer. On the other hand, 60D has been in the market longer than any of its predecessors. Normally, a life cycle of a xxD DLSR is around a year and a half. 50D was longer at almost two years, and it's been about 2 years now for 60D.

Let's imagine you're Canon. You want to sell your products. What do you want to do? To me, 60D is the one that needs a replacement, because I think it's hurt its series as people think of it as an upgraded Rebel.

That's my logic to why I, like
...Show more

Don't forget other contributing factors like the competition products and new category in the market, namely Nikon and the mirrorless cameras.

While Nikon went for 24MP, Canon went for all cross type AF and faster burst speed. This decision was probably influenced by Canon's new mirrorless as well. They can't have a DSLR that focuses as slow as an entry level mirrorless. The DSLR has to be seen as a step up.

Of course upgrading the Rebel will cause a ripple effect and there are basically two ways for Canon to differentiate their APS-C lineup.

1. Discontinue the x0D line, ie. no 70D. Keeps all their cameras in one digit designation except for the Rebel, which is known as the xxxD internationally.

2. Upgrade the "70D" to essentially become a 7D. But to do this, Canon will also have to step up the 7D2. Higher res APS-C sensor, even faster burst speed and 30+ AF points is one way to do it. Another way is to make the 7D2 an APS-H camera, returning the premium APS-C crown back to the 70D.

Whether the rumour is true or not, it does make sense if Canon was to upgrade the 70D.

I don't know why people think Canon won't do it just because they had a major firmware update for the 7D. It's not that big of a deal you know. PC components get driver update all the time and they get replaced almost as quickly as the Rebels. It's just because Canon has never done it before makes it seem like a big deal, which made me think it's just a ploy to sell the remaining 7D stock before production ceases. I could be wrong too of course.

Aug 20, 2012 at 05:16 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.2 #5 · New 7D2 rumor on Canonrumors.com

Wahoowa wrote:
I don't see why 7D needs to be replaced at the moment. More logical announcements should include a 70D and an affordable full-frame 6D.

After using a 5DM3 and a 7D side by side the last 4 days, a 7D + new AF would be worth the price of admission to me.

Chris

Aug 20, 2012 at 05:21 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.2 #6 · New 7D2 rumor on Canonrumors.com

Schlotkins wrote:
After using a 5DM3 and a 7D side by side the last 4 days, a 7D + new AF would be worth the price of admission to me.

Chris

That would be like a dream comes true for all of us. If they release such a camera with upgraded sensor and many other things, I'm sure it'll be aimed to wildlife and sport photographers and it'll demand $2,800+ for it. And then there will be threads after threads here complaining about the prices and wondering what they are smoking, as well as direction Canon is going. But the cameras will still sell like hot cakes.

Aug 20, 2012 at 05:39 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · New 7D2 rumor on Canonrumors.com

While I'm not saying the 7d af is without a need for improvement...it's deinitely not flawed as some people would lead you to
Believe,

Aug 20, 2012 at 06:36 PM
safcraft
• • •
p.2 #8 · New 7D2 rumor on Canonrumors.com

About the 60D, i too am convinced Canon will drop the line.
The 650D is very very close to it ... and so is the 7D. Even in price they are very close.
The Rebel line has evolved so much that i believe there is no need for a xxD line. The 7D2 is all canon needs to sell more "prosumer" crop cameras, the true "step above" the Rebel line.
This by no means should dismiss the "cheapo" FF, in fact they would go along beautifully as the main Canon cameras for serious amateurs : the 7D2 with high speed and high density sensor + ?D FF low speed , both tagged around $2000.

Aug 20, 2012 at 09:00 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · New 7D2 rumor on Canonrumors.com

sounds like a wishlist, a very nice wishlist to me

hmm maybe they dump the xxD line and keep selling the 7D with new firmware at that market level, maybe a touch higher priced and then introduce this new beast at somewhat higher price bracket than the 7D had been

only thing is, would it be efficient to keep making 7D sensors if everything else moves on? that makes it seem less likely

Aug 21, 2012 at 02:36 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · New 7D2 rumor on Canonrumors.com

Schlotkins wrote:

Chris

Yep, my 5D III performed excellently on it's first servo outing. 99% in focus shots on a 100-400L. The trouble is 400mm on the 5D III means huge amount of cropping 80% of the time. I'd need a 600mm to make up for the lack of pixels compared to using 7D with a 400mm lens. But 5D III IQ and AF are clearly better. To rub salt in the wounds, FW 2 on the 7D has stuffed my camera and I can't use it. Luckily I have 5D III and 1D IV also with me on holidays and the 500 f/4, but for FL limited scenarios 7D is (was) great tool.

Aug 21, 2012 at 02:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · New 7D2 rumor on Canonrumors.com

Pixel Perfect wrote:
The trouble is 400mm on the 5D III means huge amount of cropping 80% of the time.

Really "huge" ? Well, Pixie, you just may have to leave the comfort of your truck and try to get closer to your targets. That way not only that you'd get out of that "FL-limited" predicament and fill the FF frame, you'd probably also gain on IQ, and from your 99% in-focus rate you'd will surelly attain 100%.

Aug 21, 2012 at 03:29 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · New 7D2 rumor on Canonrumors.com

PetKal wrote:
Really "huge" ?

It actually does make a pretty big difference at times. Pigeons are cool but also easy to get close to, other stuff isn't necessarily so easy, especially if you have 100' tall trees and tree top only species, etc. Heck even 8' from a small bird at 400mm and it will still only fill a small portion of the frame, sometimes that works, sometimes not.

Aug 21, 2012 at 03:59 AM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · New 7D2 rumor on Canonrumors.com

skibum5 wrote:
sounds like a wishlist, a very nice wishlist to me

hmm maybe they dump the xxD line and keep selling the 7D with new firmware at that market level, maybe a touch higher priced and then introduce this new beast at somewhat higher price bracket than the 7D had been

only thing is, would it be efficient to keep making 7D sensors if everything else moves on? that makes it seem less likely

That does leave a big gap between the rebel to the 7D, although it Canon put a pentaprism viewfinder and add a rear control wheel on the 700D then there might not be a need for a 70D.

Canon should move the 7D up a class to compete against Nikon's D300 line, and move the 70D up to compete against Nikon's D7000 line.

If Canon does release the 70D hopefully they will go back to the metal body.

Aug 21, 2012 at 07:33 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · New 7D2 rumor on Canonrumors.com

PetKal wrote:
Really "huge" ? Well, Pixie, you just may have to leave the comfort of your truck and try to get closer to your targets. That way not only that you'd get out of that "FL-limited" predicament and fill the FF frame, you'd probably also gain on IQ, and from your 99% in-focus rate you'd will surelly attain 100%.

Another pearl of wisdom from you Petal.

Maybe I don't shoot tame pidjuns for a living.

Aug 21, 2012 at 09:27 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · New 7D2 rumor on Canonrumors.com

Pixie, whatever you might shoot (?), must be pretty much dead, and very big, and very close, in order to achieve an epic 99% in-focus rate. Definitely not in the reality realm of live creature photography, although in forumography obviously anything goes.
The only question in my mind is why use Servo AF on a dead animal ?

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.2 #16 · New 7D2 rumor on Canonrumors.com

For me, I would personally like Canon to make the 18 mpx the best as possible rather than go to 24 mpx. As it stands currently, I would rather use the 5D MKIII + 600L II + 1.4x III than a 7D + 600L II. I would only use the 7D if that combo wasn't enough.

Thanks,
Chris

Aug 21, 2012 at 02:48 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.2 #17 · New 7D2 rumor on Canonrumors.com

Now, they have new rumors for a 3DX

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/08/canon-eos-3d-x-cr1/

Canon EOS-3D X Specifications

- 46 MP
- 3.7 frame per second
- Dual DIGIC 5+
- ISO: (25) 50-6400 (12800)
- AF: Same as 1DX
- USB 3
- CF+SD

Aug 21, 2012 at 04:51 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #18 · New 7D2 rumor on Canonrumors.com

Pixie? Petal?
Looks like I had not enough time to spend here the last weeks and month, I guess.
Did I miss something?

Ralphie

Aug 21, 2012 at 08:50 PM
ssc45
• •
p.2 #19 · New 7D2 rumor on Canonrumors.com

I doubt the rumor. Petkal brings up a point I have considered for some time. Basically a long lens verse/FL limited vs a persons ability to move closer to their quarry. I will start a new thread when I have a few minutes.

Cheers, Steve

Aug 21, 2012 at 09:40 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password