Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Anyone use a warming CPL filter?

Nozzleforward
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone use a warming CPL filter?

I saw the "Moose" warming CPL from Hoya the other day and it peaked my interest. I like the idea (in theory anyway) of a CPL with a warmer tone to it, but I can't seem to find anything really helpful written about them.

Anyone use one or have experience with one?

Aug 19, 2012 at 05:02 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone use a warming CPL filter?

Use a standard circular polarizer. Do any warming in your Raw converter. Aim to capture pixels that are as undamaged as possible and torture them in software.

It's "piqued".

Aug 19, 2012 at 01:42 PM
pacman642
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone use a warming CPL filter?

I use the Singh-Ray LB Warming Polarizer, it's my go to polarizer. I get warmer tones and great saturation from it.

Aug 19, 2012 at 01:49 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone use a warming CPL filter?

You have several warming filters in PS and over a dozen ways of blending with each. If you don't like the filter's hue, you can change it in PP without altering the original shot.

Only use filters for what you can't do in PS -- like polarizing. As Monito said, capture those pixels as undamaged as possible.

If you are doing PJ style work where time is of the essence, that is something else. But then I wouldn't be using a warming filter....

Aug 19, 2012 at 01:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

capt don
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone use a warming CPL filter?

I use the Moose warming cpl from hoya for sunsets, adds a nice touch to the sky. I haven't used it for much else. Picked one up on fleabay a couple years ago, used to be a guy out in california that dealt in filters.

Aug 19, 2012 at 07:28 PM
schlotz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone use a warming CPL filter?

Have tried a few including the Moose version. By far (IMO) the Singh-Ray Color Combo is the winner.

Aug 23, 2012 at 07:41 PM
Glenn NK
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone use a warming CPL filter?

Monito wrote:
Use a standard circular polarizer. Do any warming in your Raw converter. Aim to capture pixels that are as undamaged as possible and torture them in software.

It's "piqued".

True, but his interest may also have peaked for a few moments.

Never heard of a moose type, but the Singh-Ray are used by many photogs. I've seen this one used many times:

http://singhray.blogspot.ca/

However when he says:

"Another added benefit to using the Gold-N-Blue during twilight hours is that the intensified color allows me shorter shutter speeds and less noise in the image due to the extra color present.

I'm not quite following his line of reasoning.

Glenn

Aug 24, 2012 at 01:03 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password