New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D700 rubber

jsv_20
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D700 rubber

I called Nikon today inquiring about replacement rubber covers--the grip, the one that's by the FX logo, and the one that's on the back. I was told the grip requires the purchase of additional double sided tape, and that they don't carry or sell the rubber that's by the FX logo.

I don't really need these because what I need is the rear rubber, but I was a bit surprised by Nikon USA not selling the rubber piece that's by the FX logo.

Searching the net Nikon in the Netherlands carries it, and they even give you a number for it, but I'm pretty sure they won't let me order from them there...

Any thoughts as to the additional requirement for the double sided tape and why Nikon USA won't carry the rubber that's by the FX logo?

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:05 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D700 rubber

My D700 looks like it's falling apart, in the same places you are describing.

A local camera repair shop looked into it for me, and quoted me I think $30-40 to regrip the whole body. I haven't taken him up on it yet.

Based out of Winnipeg, Manitoba, but maybe you guys can work something out?

http://www.computechcamera.com/

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:33 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D700 rubber

This might be useful for you...

http://tonycorrea.com/blog/2011/04/nikon-d700-rubber-grip-replacement/

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:43 PM
LoveMachine
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D700 rubber

I called Nikon around the middle/end of July and put in an order for the three rubber grips on the body (the piece with the FX symbol, the main right hand grip, and the rear thumb grip). Two of the grips were on backorder so I had to wait awhile but I just got all three of the grips in the mail today. Each grip came with adhesive (double-sided tape) already applied. I just had to remove the old grips, peel off some paper and stick the new grips on. I had read a week or two ago that Nikon was going to stop selling these grip pieces. Maybe I got my order in just in time? Oh, I paid right around $45 for all three pieces, including shipping.

Aug 17, 2012 at 05:01 PM
jsv_20
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D700 rubber

Thanks for the replies and links. I'm still puzzled about why the tape is now separate for the main grip part and why the rubber by the FX logo is no longer available--seems kind of strange, but maybe lovemachine is right and Nikon won't be selling them anymore.

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:29 PM
subidiom
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D700 rubber

That's very odd. I called back in June and ordered all three pieces...the rear, front left (with FX logo) and front right grips. They all included tape on the rubber parts ready to go (quite a complex tape job). The package included some small extra tape bits for the edges of the front grips. Time comsuming, but easy.

I paid about $56 including shipping for the works.

Edited on Aug 18, 2012 at 12:26 AM · View previous versions

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:39 PM
baumgarten0712
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D700 rubber

I just called APS (http://nikoncamerarepair.com/) today to get a quote to have all the grips replaced on the D700. The technician said $165, which included parts, labor, updates, adjustments, and sensor cleaning. Just thought I would share.

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:03 AM
jsv_20
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D700 rubber

I'll give them a call again and see what happens. Maybe I'll get a different answer. Thanks again for the replies.

Aug 18, 2012 at 07:46 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.