New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · upgrade from CS3 to CS6

dylan21
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · upgrade from CS3 to CS6

Just did this upgrade from CS3 to CS6 last week. I thought that install of CS6 would over-ride cs3 but it did not.
Both version are still usable.
So my question is what happens if I delete CS3?
All data in bridge is, obviously, from CS3 and is now active in CS6.
It would seem if I delete CS3 that all photos in Bridge would be deleted-- or not--anyone know
how I should handle this??

Aug 16, 2012 at 07:21 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · upgrade from CS3 to CS6

Cant help w/ that but dont forget to deactivate the CS3 version first.

Aug 16, 2012 at 07:48 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · upgrade from CS3 to CS6

Uninstalling Photoshop and/or Bridge will not delete any photos at all. They remain on your drive wherever you left them, but before you go about getting rid of your older software, spend enough time with CS6 to know that there's nothing you need to do in CS3 that doesn't quite work in 6 - plugins, for example. Personally I never delete any version. They don't take up that much drive space. Just leave 'em on there and don't worry about them.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:34 AM
dylan21
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · upgrade from CS3 to CS6

I was considering leaving CS3 intact but also thought why have unnecessary data on my mac that I won't use.
Good point about plug-ins. Hadn't thought of that.
Thanks.

Aug 17, 2012 at 07:08 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · upgrade from CS3 to CS6

I went from CS 2 to CS 5 or 5.1 or 5.5 or something like that (it can't make up its mind). I don't think I de-activated CS 2 unless there were instructions from Adobe to do so and if there were I don't remember doing so.

I've left CS 2 on the system. CS 2 appeared in menus and task bar and the Start menu until I began deleting the icons. Been running 5 exclusively.

Bridge just makes a cache of thumbnails and previews. The original files will be untouched. You can Purge the whole cache or Purge a folder's cache anytime in Bridge without affecting the originals.

Aug 17, 2012 at 06:29 PM
dylan21
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · upgrade from CS3 to CS6

When I installed CS6 I had expected that it would either overwrite CS3 or disable it in some way. Many software programs I've worked with usually overwrite. But clearly CSPS does not. So I now have two fully functional versions of PS. Haven't notice any change in computer speed so there you go.
Haven't had the time to go thru all of the changes with CS6 but what I have found so far I like.
Looks a lot like LR.

Aug 17, 2012 at 07:11 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · upgrade from CS3 to CS6

You can have many versions of PS on your computer, your choice to deactivate them or not.

Personally I kept PS CS3 active as it was the last version to allow PDF multipage document creation from a batch of photos. The Bridge tool that took over this function in CS4 bloats the files excessively to the point of useless for proofing to clients.

Aug 20, 2012 at 07:45 PM
Caleb Jeffers
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · upgrade from CS3 to CS6

Hello, I too made the upgrade to Cs6 and went to install it on my pc after downloading it, and put in the cs6 serial number in, then went to add my cs3 number and it said it was a invalid number??
I was like what?? This can't be it's the one that is on the back of the box and the one I used to install on day one!
I was wondering if anyone else had this problem with adobe before?
I spent half the night online chatting with a rep and all she says is to contact the store I bought it from and get a receipt that shows my proof of purchase?
I don't have a clue where to even begin looking for that info I got it 4 years ago and don't remember nothing after that!
I guess I'm going to have to go to someone over costumer service and talk to them to see if I have a legit copy or I've been ripped off!
Please let me hear your thoughts, thanks.. Caleb

Nov 06, 2012 at 01:55 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · upgrade from CS3 to CS6

CS3 has no bugs that effect my Photoshop useage and has feature that have been removed in newer version of Photoshop. I would suggest that you keep CS3 installed as well as CS6. For CS6 has many bugs. Though the first CS6 update took 5 long month to be developed it only fixed 56 core bugs there are many more bugs that still need to be addressed.

Nov 06, 2012 at 03:28 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · upgrade from CS3 to CS6

Caleb Jeffers wrote:
Hello, I too made the upgrade to Cs6 and went to install it on my pc after downloading it, and put in the cs6 serial number in, then went to add my cs3 number and it said it was a invalid number??
I was like what?? This can't be it's the one that is on the back of the box and the one I used to install on day one!
I was wondering if anyone else had this problem with adobe before?
I spent half the night online chatting with a rep and all she says is to contact the
...Show more

Times like this make it easier to use a serial generator bypass the activation servers and use the software you legally bought than jump through the hoops Adobe is holding up. You are not a thief but they treat you like one. On the other hand a thief never has to deal with this crap IRONIC.

Nov 06, 2012 at 04:48 PM
Caleb Jeffers
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · upgrade from CS3 to CS6

I agree with you waycool, I'm just trying to play nice and be legal and do things the right way! I've even asked if there was someplace I could send this copy to have it checked out and tell me if its legit or not, she said oh if the seriel number is not in our database then it's not ours!
I'm still sending a email to someone higher up then her to see if there is any other legal options!
Caleb

Nov 06, 2012 at 05:57 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · upgrade from CS3 to CS6

Maybe try setting up an online account with Adobe using your CS3 software as the basis. See if that works. Others will know better, but I think once you are in there, Adobe keeps track of the software you legally own so future upgrades are easier. And you don't have to worry about losing the CDs.

As an aside, I just bought a new laptop and installed CS5 that I bought as an upgrade to CS4. My original software was CS2, bought way back when you could get Photoshop for something like $250 using the Adobe Elements serial number that came with the 10D. The CS5 install recognized that it was an upgrade, and it asked for the previous serial number. I wondered how far back they would make me go (all the way to the original CS2?), but the CS4 serial number was enough.

So my old machine is running both CS4 and CS5 (since I never tried to remove CS4), but my new machine is running CS5 as a clean install.

Mark

Nov 09, 2012 at 11:16 AM
MichaelKirk
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · upgrade from CS3 to CS6

Caleb Jeffers wrote:
then went to add my cs3 number and it said it was a invalid number??

Just to be sure your using the right number, the CS3 serial number is not listed on "the box", but on the plastic disc cover case. I'm sure this is what you meant, but just want to make sure your using the correct number. The cardboard box list several numbers on it - none of them are the serial number though.

Michael

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · upgrade from CS3 to CS6

If the CS3 Serial #was an upgrade then it is looking for the one it originally upgraded from.

Dec 10, 2012 at 05:08 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · upgrade from CS3 to CS6

I am considering going to Photoshop 6 and LR 4 from CS3 and LR 2 but I don't know if my processor is 32 or 64 bits. I have to upgrade from XP to Windows 8. I went into the device manager but I cannot find the bits mentioned with with my Quad core processor. Help. Where do I find the bit number?

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:22 PM
tived
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · upgrade from CS3 to CS6

If you upgrade from CS3 to CS6, it's a complete new install, you can remove the old version, what you loose is the thumbnails have to regenerated.

Just uninstall CS3 and enjoy CS6

All the best

Henrik

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:44 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.