Upload & Sell: Off
Steam Engine #304/604
1 of 9 identical engines built in 1936 by Baldwin Locomotive Works in Eddystone, PA
Built originally as #304 for the Union Railroad to work the Pittsburgh steel mills.
Sold to the Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range in 1949 and renumberedd # 604.
Used in Minnesota to push ore jennies onto the Duluth docks and drag empties up Proctor Hill.
Engine was retired in 1958 and stored by the Bessemer in Greenville for future donation.
This 0-10-2 wheel arrangement was called a Union engine.
These were the largest steam switch engines ever built.
At one time there was a Franklin booster engine on the front truck of the tender.
The engine has 61" drivers and developed 108,050 lbs of tractive effort.
The engine was rated at 3500 horsepower at 260 pounds of steam pressure.
Engine & tender length is 87' - empty weight is 238 tons, loaded weight is 322 tons.
Tender carries 12,000 gallons of water and 14 tons of coal.
Donated by the Bessemer Railroad and placed here (Greenville) in 1985.
Steam Engine #304/ 604