Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       end
  

Archive 2012 · Lens advice for Boston & New York
  
 
bushwacker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Lens advice for Boston & New York


Breitling65 wrote:
Man... 20 years near by NY and never saw half of you list yet


for you since you're in NYC... I recommend:

Pinkberry in 32nd street between 5th & 6th
Bonchon in 33rd st. and 5th they serve beers too.

and then walk to:

SHAKE SHACK burger in 23rd street next to FLAT IRON building these burgers are freakin good man!!! forget about mcdonalds, BK, wendy's they're all CRAP!!! have some beers too. take some pics on the park. And you know what SKINNY HOT WOMEN EAT BURGERS HERE.




Aug 18, 2012 at 01:01 PM
Breitling65
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lens advice for Boston & New York


bushwacker wrote:
for you since you're in NYC... I recommend:

Pinkberry in 32nd street between 5th & 6th
Bonchon in 33rd st. and 5th they serve beers too.

and then walk to:

SHAKE SHACK burger in 23rd street next to FLAT IRON building these burgers are freakin good man!!! forget about mcdonalds, BK, wendy's they're all CRAP!!! have some beers too. take some pics on the park. And you know what SKINNY HOT WOMEN EAT BURGERS HERE.




thanks!



Aug 18, 2012 at 01:13 PM
bushwacker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lens advice for Boston & New York


EDRHA,

by the way about the BAG? I highly suggest get a BACK PACK type of bag... with no brand markings., just to avoid thieves.

trust me on this: i tried shoulder bag, messenger bag, sling bags and toploaders all of these are uncomfortable while walking... they will hurt your back and your neck at the end of the day.

And yes I tested all these with my 24-70mm L and 70-200mm f2.8 on 40D body all of them i get so much pain... and it's a hassle when walking around.

Just get a regular comfy backpack put your lens and camera with cases on it. you're all set.

BACKPACK is the best here especially for a long walk... get a good snickers no leather shoes.



Aug 18, 2012 at 01:17 PM
bushwacker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lens advice for Boston & New York


fixedgearmike wrote:
great post by bushwhacker - do that!!

(I went out with a 17-40, came home with a 15, 24-70 and a 100 macro, plus a bag and a tripod... )



B&H is a temptation.. even if I just want to see something I always end up buying something.



Aug 18, 2012 at 01:21 PM
Edrha
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lens advice for Boston & New York


Bushwacker thank you again all your time and effort that you have put in,for your full and very informative list of places to see eat,and drink. We will do our best to try and follow your very own NYC guide to see as many places as we can.

We've already booked to see the Statue of Liberty, the Rockefeller and the Empire State. I'll print off your list to bring with us and will use Google maps as well. Your guide is going really help, and I will pass on it to my daughter & son in law who will be in NYC soon for about 5 weeks.


Regarding bags is a Lowepro mini trekker to big or obvious, and do you mean for cases, the bags that came with the lenses.

Thank you again Ed.



Aug 18, 2012 at 07:22 PM
bushwacker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Lens advice for Boston & New York


Edrha wrote:
Bushwacker thank you again all your time and effort that you have put in,for your full and very informative list of places to see eat,and drink. We will do our best to try and follow your very own NYC guide to see as many places as we can.

We've already booked to see the Statue of Liberty, the Rockefeller and the Empire State. I'll print off your list to bring with us and will use Google maps as well. Your guide is going really help, and I will pass on it to my daughter & son in law who will
...Show more


I think this bag is good for NYC street trek... Lowepro Flipside 300 Backpack (Black) I can't find your mini trekker from B&H


http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/531351-REG/Lowepro_LP35185_PEU_Flipside_300_Backpack_Black.html


I meant you can get a regular backpack then have your 17-40mm and 70-200mm with lens cases on it. for your DSLR have a neoprene BODY BAG... you're all set.

here's a body bag.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/545382-REG/LensCoat_LCBBPBK_LensCoat_BodyBag_Pro_Black.html



Aug 18, 2012 at 10:17 PM
cheem
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Lens advice for Boston & New York


I have a 24-105 and am considering the 17-40 for similar types of 'city' vacations. For those of you recommending the 17-40, would your answer change if the OP had a 24-105?


Aug 19, 2012 at 03:36 AM
robstein
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Lens advice for Boston & New York


Edrha wrote:
We've already booked to see the Statue of Liberty, the Rockefeller and the Empire State.

The top of the rock will say they don't allow tripods e.t.c. but the second floor on the top does not have glass or bars in front and has flat top waist high walls... [cough]table top tripod[cough]... at early evening - magic. Buy a new one at B&H since you will there anyway

For Boston - mostly 17-40 will be the best (depends on how you shoot obviously)
- The seaport area is cool
- Try Cambridge side over mass av for the back bay
- Copley square is cool
- Try the green way down near north station for the bridge shots
- Harvard square is fun



Aug 19, 2012 at 04:58 AM
bushwacker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Lens advice for Boston & New York


Edrha,

For now skip Trinity chapel skip it ( it's under construction, scafoldings all over the place ) I walked pass there yesterday in Wall street area.

Just go to Saint Patrick's Cathedral, you'll see this when walking along 5th going to Rockeller actually it's next to Rockefeller.

If you are in to Grilled Meats highly recommended: Churrascaria Plataforma (it's Brazilian ) all you can eat til you drop.

it's in 49th Street (Between 8th & 9th Avenues).

here's the site. http://churrascariaplataforma.com/



Aug 19, 2012 at 01:03 PM
njjuliano
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Lens advice for Boston & New York


bushwacker wrote:
...best list in a while...




awesome, just awesome.

always a great thing to see someone's ny. the research alone to compile this would've been monumental.



Aug 19, 2012 at 02:09 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



bushwacker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Lens advice for Boston & New York


njjuliano wrote:
awesome, just awesome.

always a great thing to see someone's ny. the research alone to compile this would've been monumental.



Try that man....

If you guys want a photo ops surrounding manhattan island while in the river, you'll need to be in boat ride like: CIRCLE LINE

here's the site: it's a 3 hour ride.

http://www.circleline42.com/new-york-cruises/home.aspx

there are many others this is just one of them. While in there you can also visit the INTREPID Air & Space Museum.

here:

http://intrepidmuseum.org/





Aug 19, 2012 at 03:59 PM
bushwacker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Lens advice for Boston & New York


here's B&H... I think google took this pic during their Sabbath


http://maps.google.com/maps?q=b%26h&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl



Aug 21, 2012 at 02:34 AM
Edrha
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Lens advice for Boston & New York


B&H looks like an Aladdin's cave for photographers can't wait to actually walk around inside. Afraid to take my card in with me in case I get carried away with all that gear.

Really looking forward to seeing New York



Aug 21, 2012 at 08:31 PM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Lens advice for Boston & New York


Edrha wrote:
Hi I live in the UK and I'm coming to Boston & NY mid September and would value any advice on lens choice,for carrying in messenger type bag.

I have a 5Dmk3. 24mm f2.8, 17-40 f4, 100 f2 & 70-200 f2.8.

Hoping to visit in NY. Empire State building, Rockefeller Center, Statue of Liberty,Ellis Island, Brooklyn Bridge, Ground Zero, open to any other places of interest. Not forgetting B&H photo.

Ed



I would let all at home and purchase two 40mm pancakes. First for Boston. Second for New York, in case the first got stolen in Boston ;-).

No, I was kidding. For real: Ever been in Lomdon or Paris? Wich lens(es) felt most comfortable? And did the best job. Take the same for Boston and New York. They will work fine.

Ralph




Aug 21, 2012 at 08:38 PM
Hammy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Lens advice for Boston & New York


Edrha wrote:
B&H looks like an Aladdin's cave for photographers can't wait to actually walk around inside. Afraid to take my card in with me in case I get carried away with all that gear.


+1

I almost walked out with a 1V-HS and some lenses after my first visit!


For the uninitiated:
Be afraid



Aug 21, 2012 at 08:42 PM
EyeBrock
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Lens advice for Boston & New York


cheem wrote:
I have a 24-105 and am considering the 17-40 for similar types of 'city' vacations. For those of you recommending the 17-40, would your answer change if the OP had a 24-105?


I took my 16-35 last year to NYC, by far my most used lens on that trip. 24 isn't wide enough for me. I also had the 35L which got good use indoors. We are all different but if I was going again I'd do 16-35 and a fast prime and leave everything else at home.



Aug 21, 2012 at 11:40 PM
cheem
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Lens advice for Boston & New York


bushwacker wrote:
I think this bag is good for NYC street trek... Lowepro Flipside 300 Backpack (Black) I can't find your mini trekker from B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/531351-REG/Lowepro_LP35185_PEU_Flipside_300_Backpack_Black.html

Thanks for this - I went to check out the Flipside 300 on my lunch here is Toronto and they only had the 200. Is the 300 that much bigger? Does anyone have either of these bags. I am thinking about getting one or the other for city treks as mentioned in this thread. My typical setup would be 5D3/24-105 mounted most of the time, 85/1.8, 70-200/F4/IS and possibly a 580EXII. By the looks of the 200 I think I would need the 300.

Thoughts?



Aug 22, 2012 at 02:29 AM
EyeBrock
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Lens advice for Boston & New York


I have a Domke SLR insert in an American Eagle canvas messenger bag. I also have the Domke bag-bottom insert to beef up the bottom of the bag. It fits three lenses, one mounted, and two flashes. I bought a couple of large press-studs and sewed them on making it easy to secure and open. Stealth for $30 plus inserts. With inserts you can easily use any messenger bag thats out there.

For my non stealth modes I use the Domke F5XZ Ruggedwear. It fits 5D2 plus lense and a flash or other lens (it takes my 200 F2.8) and has two filter pockets. I sliced off the Domke logos and waxed up it looks pretty decent, is compact and is encouraging me to do the one-lense thing.




Aug 22, 2012 at 12:52 PM
bushwacker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Lens advice for Boston & New York


cheem wrote:
Thanks for this - I went to check out the Flipside 300 on my lunch here is Toronto and they only had the 200. Is the 300 that much bigger? Does anyone have either of these bags. I am thinking about getting one or the other for city treks as mentioned in this thread. My typical setup would be 5D3/24-105 mounted most of the time, 85/1.8, 70-200/F4/IS and possibly a 580EXII. By the looks of the 200 I think I would need the 300.

Thoughts?


The Flipside 300 is larger. I have the 200 it will fit a Pro DSLR but with bulging back. Go with 300



Aug 23, 2012 at 10:51 AM
WebDog
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Lens advice for Boston & New York


Been to Boston/NYC a few times... and I would reckomend you go on the tourist buses (trolley) that runs all round the interesting places, and you can jump on-off as much as you want.

Having said that I very much liked to go out on Cape Cod, ended up in Provincetown. Loads of fun!

As for NYC.. Central park, Empire State and statue of Liberty... Round that off with a visit to B&H. Should keep you busy for the day.

But it comes down to what you are interested in, still 17-40 is a must, and you may want a longer lens too. How abot try borrow a 70-300, it's pretty good, and not too heavy, or a 70-200/4. The 2,8 is a bit heavy to carry when sightseeing



Aug 23, 2012 at 12:44 PM
1      
2
       3       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password