Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Whats the next lens?

chris23

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Whats the next lens?

Hi there,

I am new to FM. I have been wondering for a while now about my next lens purchase so figured I would ask here and see what peoples views are.

I shoot Video on a Canon 60D. I already have, the nifty fifty, 135L & 10-22mm Lenses. I have a shoulder rig follow focus and tripod. I feel like I want to either go with a fast and wide lens, bit on the other hand I have been thinking about a zoom :s i'm thinking either, Canon 35mm 1.4 L, Canon 24-70MK1 (they seem to be going cheap with the announcement of the MK2). For a cheaper option, maybe the 30mm 1.4 Sigma?

Would really love to hear your thoughts.

Many thanks in advance for your time.

Aug 15, 2012 at 07:45 PM
alskouba
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Whats the next lens?

Hi Chris,

For video i would chek for samyang/Rokinon etc... They have excelent IQ and for less than 1/3 of the price of your two contenders. Of course you would have to use primes but i personnaly dont like zooms in video. Off course if you shoot live action and you need a zoom to make shure you always frame everything than consider the 24-70MM 2.8L wich is indeed a good lens.Keep in mind that those samyang/Rokinon dont have autofocus so if you consider still shooting it might be a little more tricky to use.

The favorites of Samyang/Rokinon are the 14mm 2.8 35mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.4 They both have proven their self as great lens with excelent IQ and built Quality.They also have a 24mm 1.4 that is supposed to be good but i never tried it.

Alexis

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Whats the next lens?

Welcome to FM, chris23.

For video, I'd definitely go with a zoom, and the 24-70 is very nice and relatively fast. It is not as sharp as the Mark II, but given video resolution I don't think that will be noticeable. I don't shoot video, but that zoom will fill a gap for you and give you zoom in the video.

The 24-105 would also be an alternative for you and fill more of a gap, though it is a stop slower. One or the other will have a better "feel" for video zooming and that probably should be the deciding factor.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:18 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Whats the next lens?

Consider a 24L 1.4 mki or mkii depending on your budget.

Aug 16, 2012 at 04:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #5 · Whats the next lens?

Tokina 17 3.5.

Love it.

Aug 16, 2012 at 05:27 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Whats the next lens?

The 24-70L has good manual focusing and is used by a lot of videographers on the 7D since its good and very versatile. The 35L however is better optically and mechanically, it is outstanding. Its a more substantial lens than the 50. The 24L is also a great choice.

Aug 16, 2012 at 05:57 AM
Fr3d
• •
p.1 #7 · Whats the next lens?

Wouldn't the cheap Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 be very nice for video?
It also saves you a couple of bucks so you can buy a 85mm 1.8 or 30mm 1.4

Aug 16, 2012 at 09:21 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password