Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Question on Manfrotto 410 geared head

RonMJ

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question on Manfrotto 410 geared head

I just received a new 410 geared head. The vertical and horizontal axis spring loaded controls seem to lock when you release the knob - usually no tightening of the knob is required. On the pan axis there is a usually a tiny bit of play after you release the knob. Tightening the knob eliminates the play. The knobs I am referring to are the large adjustment knobs. Is it normal to have to tighten these knobs to eliminate any play, or is the spring mechanism supposed to do that?

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:26 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question on Manfrotto 410 geared head

Just a tad slow with the reply ....

There is no excess play on mine but sometimes with the course control knobs you can release them while the head is about halfway between two of its adjacent standard detent positions and the head is then able to move a bit (with or without you using any the control knobs) until the spring-loaded locking mechanism sits into its slot. If instead you released the course control knob closer to the proper position then the mechanism would slide into its slot as the knob is released and you would probably not notice the initial play.

- Alan

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:30 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question on Manfrotto 410 geared head

Reminds me of this:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1131300

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Glenn NK
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question on Manfrotto 410 geared head

RonMJ wrote:
I just received a new 410 geared head. The vertical and horizontal axis spring loaded controls seem to lock when you release the knob - usually no tightening of the knob is required. On the pan axis there is a usually a tiny bit of play after you release the knob. Tightening the knob eliminates the play. The knobs I am referring to are the large adjustment knobs. Is it normal to have to tighten these knobs to eliminate any play, or is the spring mechanism supposed to do that?

Tightening the knob? I've never had to tighten any of the knobs - in fact I didn't know they could be tightened. As soon as I let go of the large (spring-loaded) knob, it's rock solid - with the possible exception of the detents comment made by Alan.

Too bad you weren't closer, I'd have sold you mine for 1/2 price - I rarely ever use it - bought it because I thought it would help composing flower macros, but it didn't work out too well for me. Other than that, it a rock solid head.

Glenn

Oct 20, 2012 at 05:09 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question on Manfrotto 410 geared head

I use mine for polar alignment and it is rock solid. I have not noticed any play.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:35 PM
dswtan

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question on Manfrotto 410 geared head

I have two. On one, there is play in at least one of the axes unless you tighten the quick release (turn the quick release to bite harder, anticlockwise, opposite from releasing). After tightening, there is no play.

Once I realised you could do this/have to do this, I can live with it. In fact, I started noticing that this can be required occasionally on other axes on both units. So it seems normal.

Come to think of it, this may even be in the manual -- sorry, can't find mine to check at the moment, and I don't see it online.

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:11 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password