Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · mid price range telephoto zooms?

ThreeStone

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · mid price range telephoto zooms?

A friend with a Rebel T2i asked me for recommendations on telephoto zoom lenses, and I honestly didn't know how to answer. Had he asked about highest quality I'd have bored him to tears,...

Does anyone have advice on mid price range zoom lenses from any manufacturer? He'd like to get at least up to 200mm and would prefer longer.

On a related note, I'd suggested perhaps a used Canon70-200 I, and then I wondered if matching a fine quality lens with a T2i sensor, might be like making a wine spritzer from a $40 bottle of wine. Do you think the T2i sensor can capture enough detail to make a really good lens worth it for him at any cost?

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:26 PM
tr1957
• •
p.1 #2 · mid price range telephoto zooms?

Tamron 70-300 VC is pretty decent and pretty inexpensive ($100 rebate from now to end of Septenber, bring price down to $349). T2i sensor is basically the same as the 7D sensor, so it can handle a good lens.

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:29 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · mid price range telephoto zooms?

If your friend is a relatively "casual" shooter with a t2i, he might be just fine with the EFS 55-250mm lens from Canon. It performs well, has IS, and is inexpensive.

Dan

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · mid price range telephoto zooms?

Wow, that's great price on the Tamron and I'd tell your friend about that and Dan's recommendation too. Which one to get should be based on what he wants to shoot.

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

vsg28
• • •
p.1 #5 · mid price range telephoto zooms?

The Canon 55-250 IS II is fantastic for the money, new ones can be had for $170 or less these days. I just sold a used 55-250 + 3rd party hood + Tiffen filter set for $200 on eBay so just be aware of what you want

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #6 · mid price range telephoto zooms?

It...depends...

I was VERY happy with the difference in IQ when I mounted my first 70-200L on my XSI; the 55-250 sort-of-kit-lens is a sharp little performer, but that particular Rebel's 12 mp sensor could easily shine brighter behind a high-quality lens...I've always said that particular Rebel version was the '66 Malibu (or '97 Town & Country Minivan - my how the outlook changes ) of Rebel sensor/Digic combinations...in other words, better than even Canon expected - but, sorry, that's a bit off-topic...

Anyway, how much does the money matter to the friend, relative to the photographs? What are his subjects? Will a middle-of-the-road lens be plenty fine for the 4x6 prints of his playing children, or will he be crouched behind the third-base line waiting for the kid to slide, or bent over under the lip of the dark stage, waiting for an entrance? If that's the case he may need a wider aperture, higher shutter speeds...you know how the situations determine the needs...

The T2i uses the 7D's 18mp sensor, I believe, and should be quite capable of some high resolution on those teeny-tiny photsites...so, to use your analogy, if he's drinking wine for the buzz, the Tamron 70-300 or a 55-250 will produce it, but then he may enjoy the fine nuances of the 70-200L, or a bit of 100L Macro, and maybe even a little sip of your 24-70 2.8L (I checked your profile - depending on just HOW good of a friend... )...

I hope this helps...
Jerry

Oh, and my learning curve from (Nikon) film to (Canon) digital is still...uh, curving, too, so keep on it...

Edit...You got all those great replies above while I was rambling on about old cars, and they're right on, too; I was just feeling a little wordy tonight
Jerry

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:58 AM
bbasiaga
• • •
p.1 #7 · mid price range telephoto zooms?

In the $500US range he could get a 70-300 F4-5.6 IS (non-L), or a 70-200 F4L (non-IS). Those are both excellent if he wants to spend a little more.

-Brian

Aug 15, 2012 at 02:14 AM
ThreeStone

p.1 #8 · mid price range telephoto zooms?

Thanks Everyone for the help - these are great suggestions. Mainly my friend wants to shoot wildlife (though I'm not sure he's aware of the true dedication that takes!), and as he's just recently been bitten by the photo bug, I don't think he's ready to put out the bucks for an L series lens... at least not yet.

Bruce

Aug 15, 2012 at 04:09 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password