Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori on the EOS System

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori on the EOS System

Check out this interesting interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori, Advisory Director, Group Executive, Photo Products Group for Canon Inc. based in Japan.

He talks about future challenges for Canon's EOS System and answers questions related to the new 300mm f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L IS II, 200-400mm f/4L IS and Mark III extenders.

Aug 14, 2012 at 06:59 PM
Jim McCann
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori on the EOS System

Thank you, sir!

Aug 14, 2012 at 08:18 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori on the EOS System

"KS: “For digital movies we have Canon camcorders; we still believe the camcorder is the best option to take movie recordings. When we launched the [EOS] 5D Mark II the movie function was still an extra function, not the main function, so the 5D Mark II is still really viewed as a stills camera and the movie function is extra. Of course we’ve tried to develop the movie function of the 5D Mark II but when it comes to movies the camcorder is still the best option; the best choice to make.” "

I.E. the camcorder division will insure we make sure to cripple the functionality in the 5 series bodies for video.

Aug 14, 2012 at 08:42 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori on the EOS System

Thanks Fred! Very interesting. From the article:

What we can say is that at the moment IS [Image Stabilizer] is a maximum of four stops and both the compact group and the EOS group, including lenses, are trying to increase this a stop more, and we are studying how to do this.

Aug 15, 2012 at 03:05 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori on the EOS System

that's it...no news in sensor technology...

Aug 15, 2012 at 03:28 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori on the EOS System

These interviews rarely provide any definitive insight into future products/developments, IS development excluded here. It's not like some Canon EU marketing guy will grill a Canon exec for juicy details, let alone even publish such details. That said, still interesting to read.

Aug 15, 2012 at 03:45 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori on the EOS System

Am interested in the following:

"For example, in the film ‘Blade Runner’ a picture is enlarged and enlarged with no reduction in the high quality, so even when it’s enlarged, enlarged and enlarged again the detail still remains. That is also a dream – high pixel count technology.”

Hopefully this may be an indication that a really high resolution body is on the way. Personally I don't believe for a moment that Canon are producing their superb Mk2 L lenses just to piddle around with 18 and 21 mpx bodies indefinitely. Especially when Nikon are already selling high res kit at affordable prices.

Aug 15, 2012 at 07:45 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori on the EOS System

More critical questions weren't even asked. Not very useful for me to be honest.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori on the EOS System

mttran wrote:
that's it...no news in sensor technology...

Yes, I wish this would have been further explored in the interview.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:38 AM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori on the EOS System

He sounds very out of touch. He says one could not shoot a war with a phone, yet almost all we see from Syria is from phones. He trots out the old Canon misconception that a camera used by a professional needs to be more weather sealed than one by an amateur.

Also notable is that they are concentrating on IS. Perhaps they can't get around the Sony sensor patents.

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori on the EOS System

Thanks for posintg.

Aug 15, 2012 at 02:14 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori on the EOS System

melcat wrote:
He sounds very out of touch. He says one could not shoot a war with a phone, yet almost all we see from Syria is from phones.

When all you've got is a cell phone, then that's what you use. It does not mean it's the best thing to use. If you think a cell phone is best for photography, then please sell your gear and use one.

melcat wrote:
He trots out the old Canon misconception that a camera used by a professional needs to be more weather sealed than one by an amateur.

Not a misconception. The operative word is "needs". A professional has needs. An amateur has desires.

melcat wrote:
Also notable is that they are concentrating on IS. Perhaps they can't get around the Sony sensor patents.

Actually, Sony can't get around Canon's IS patents and Canon is working to put IS far ahead of Sony and Nikon and the rest.

It would make sense that if Canon has got something going in sensors, that they would direct attention away from it so they can make a bigger splash. Remember, Canon has for a long time had the lead in sensor MPx at full-frame: it has a 50 MPx APS-H sized sensor and a 120 MPx full-frame sized sensor in the labs. So Canon is clearly working on sensors.

Aug 15, 2012 at 08:07 PM
artd
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori on the EOS System

melcat wrote:

He sounds very out of touch. He says one could not shoot a war with a phone, yet almost all we see from Syria is from phones.

Monito wrote:
When all you've got is a cell phone, then that's what you use. It does not mean it's the best thing to use. If you think a cell phone is best for photography, then please sell your gear and use one.

I actually didn't see anyone say a cell phone is "best." I suggest some care so as to not put words into people's mouths.

Of course to be fair to Mr. Shimbori, he did not say anything about cell phones at all. What he did say however is they need "high ISO in dark places to take a photo discreetly." Now high ISO is nice, but I think "discreetly" is the key point. And it also is a reason why I've seen a number of war photographers make a deliberate choice to forgo DSLRs in favor of compact cameras or yes, even cell phones. Because such cameras are much more discreet this trumps the better high ISO of DSLRs for some photographers.

Aug 15, 2012 at 08:36 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori on the EOS System

artd wrote:
I actually didn't see anyone say a cell phone is "best." I suggest some care so as to not put words into people's mouths.

+1

Aug 15, 2012 at 08:43 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori on the EOS System

artd wrote:

Likewise Ken-ichi Shimbori does not think EOS cameras are perfect for every application at all times. I suggest some care so as to not suggest people are "very out of touch" when they clearly are not.

The people "shooting" the Syrian war with cell phones are not photojournalists.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM
chipiii

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori on the EOS System

I will make the argument that walking or sneaking around with a large white lens and MKIV body might get you arrested and or killed in Syria at the moment. Not nessasarily in that order. Hence the iphone photos.

C

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:26 AM
artd
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori on the EOS System

Monito wrote:
The people "shooting" the Syrian war with cell phones are not photojournalists.

They may or may not be. But you're ignoring the point that there are photojournalists covering wars other than Syria who are shooting photos with cell phones.

Aug 16, 2012 at 03:48 AM
artd
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori on the EOS System

Also without trying to be too harsh on Shimbori... I would say that believing discreet shooting requirements are the province of DSLRs does indeed seem "out of touch" in some sense. Quite a few photographers with discreet shooting needs have been migrating to other options for some time now.

Edited on Aug 16, 2012 at 04:05 PM · View previous versions

Aug 16, 2012 at 05:01 AM
Matt Kerby
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori on the EOS System

Nice article, I'm very interested in that 200-400....I feel I shouldn't even comment on the typical web comments regarding the subject being "out of touch"........but......Really?

Aug 16, 2012 at 03:07 PM
WilliamG
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Interview with Ken-ichi Shimbori on the EOS System

chipiii wrote:
I will make the argument that walking or sneaking around with a large white lens and MKIV body might get you arrested and or killed in Syria at the moment. Not nessasarily in that order. Hence the iphone photos.

C

Unlikely to get killed and THEN arrested...

Aug 16, 2012 at 04:03 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password