Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Shipping a laptop; concerns about safety + damage

blackbird3216
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shipping a laptop; concerns about safety + damage

Hi All. I recently purchased a laptop from Lenovo, and two weeks later, it still has not shipped. I will be moving back to school soon (I know), so this is a big dilemma. I thought that I would get the computer before moving, so I put down my home address as the ship-to address. Unfortunately, the computer has been delayed twice. It was supposed to ship last week and arrive this week, but now it is shipping this week and arriving next week. As you can see, this is a problem, because I need the computer for school work.

I will be leaving this Friday (the 17th), and will not be coming back home until later. If the computer is not delayed a third time, then it is supposed to ship tomorrow, and arrive next week on the 21st.

The natural thing is to ship the computer from my home to the campus. My brother will be home, so he can help me receive the package + ship to me. However, I have never shipped something so valuable before (I think my most expensive item shipped was $300). This computer will be closer to 1k, so obviously I am nervous about damage and it's safe arrival.

Given that many users here have experience shipping expensive camera gear, I thought this would be an ideal place to ask for advice. I think the most economical way to ship it would be via USPS Priority mail, so that I get it late next week near the start of classes. I don't know if this is the best way though. Would Fedex or UPS be better? What about options like Signature confirmation, insurance, or certified mail? I suppose I could insure the package to $1000, but would this not attract unneeded attention to the package (in terms of dishonest postal workers)? Additionally, I have heard that it is a pain to try to receive compensation for the damaged package. I hope some users can help shed some light on this.

Thanks,
Kent

Aug 14, 2012 at 03:33 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shipping a laptop; concerns about safety + damage

Laptops are not all that fragile. Shipment in the original box with an outer carton is fine. There are also special laptop shippers commonly available. I prefer Fedex with direct signature, but choice of carrier depends mainly on local circumstances.

EBH

Aug 14, 2012 at 07:48 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shipping a laptop; concerns about safety + damage

Use USPS if your delivery address is going to be a post office box on campus. If off campus, either will work. Be sure to require a delivery signature so you get to see the condition of the box at delivery and it does not just get left on the door step.

Aug 14, 2012 at 02:26 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password