New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · WFT-E6

NickD

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · WFT-E6

Hi All

I am getting a WFT-E6 delivered this week and am wondering if anyone knows wether this will establish a bluetooth connection to an iPhone for GPS tagging. I have the GP-E1 but unfortunately cannot communicate with the WFT in blutooth mode

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:27 PM
jwasacz

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · WFT-E6

Hmmm....I have the WFT-E6A but it isn't something that I have tired to connect to the iPhone BT. Can give it a shot tomorrow morning and let you now how it goes.

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:31 PM
NickD

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · WFT-E6

jwasacz wrote:
Hmmm....I have the WFT-E6A but it isn't something that I have tired to connect to the iPhone BT. Can give it a shot tomorrow morning and let you now how it goes.

Thanks jwasacz, much appreciated

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:48 PM
jwasacz

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · WFT-E6

Was easily able to pair WFT-E6A to iPhone 4 this morning via BT, took about a minute to run through menus and establish the link. Transferring location data or GPS tagging from the iPhone to the WFT is something I know nothing about though. I did take one picture while they were paired and looking at the EXIF data didn't show any GPS tagging.

If you have something else you want me to try just let me know.

Aug 14, 2012 at 07:41 AM
NickD

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · WFT-E6

jwasacz wrote:
Was easily able to pair WFT-E6A to iPhone 4 this morning via BT, took about a minute to run through menus and establish the link. Transferring location data or GPS tagging from the iPhone to the WFT is something I know nothing about though. I did take one picture while they were paired and looking at the EXIF data didn't show any GPS tagging.

If you have something else you want me to try just let me know.

Hi jwasacz, thanks for taking the time to test this, the successful pairing sounds promising, I would have expected some GPS data to have recorded in the exif. Is there no location information shown when you review the image in camera and press the info button?

I will hopefully have mine soon and I will do a thorough test and report back too.

Cheers

Aug 14, 2012 at 08:59 AM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · WFT-E6

I would think you'd need an app to add GPS data to the meta data as the image goes into a Lightroom or Aperture type database.

I have the much older WFT-E2A and just recently got Shuttersnitch on my iPad. Its on the iPhone as well. With the WFT I can send images to the iDevice and see it in about 5 seconds. That isn't a GPS encoder though, or not that I've seen thus far.

Aug 14, 2012 at 02:39 PM
NickD

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · WFT-E6

andyz wrote:
I would think you'd need an app to add GPS data to the meta data as the image goes into a Lightroom or Aperture type database.

I have the much older WFT-E2A and just recently got Shuttersnitch on my iPad. Its on the iPhone as well. With the WFT I can send images to the iDevice and see it in about 5 seconds. That isn't a GPS encoder though, or not that I've seen thus far.

Hi Andyz, I think you are on the right track here, it sounds like an app is definately needed to communicate the GPS data to the camera. BTW I am also using shuttersnitch on the ipad and I think its great, can reveiw the images almost instantly.

Oh well, back to the research I think

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:08 PM
NickD

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · WFT-E6

jwasacz wrote:
Nothing showing at all in camera when reviewing picture and using INFO button on camera. Also, below is a picture from Adobe Bridge using the Info selection during right click on the RAW file showing no GPS tagging.

Jwasacz, I just had mine delivered, I will have a play with it tonight and see what I can do.

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:10 PM
NickD

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · WFT-E6

Been playing around with this idea and so far have been out of luck. Also got it to pair with the iphone but that was about it. Similar results to what was previously reported. I think an app will be required to make this work. Its strange how little documentation there is on this concept from canon, not even a recommended list of compatible devices.

Aug 15, 2012 at 08:47 AM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · WFT-E6

You want to take a picture with the camera and have the phone receive a message to transmit the current GPS coordinates to the camera and embed that into the meta data. I don't know how the camera will do that without some application between the two.

Aug 15, 2012 at 09:28 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.