New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Cat play....

Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cat play....

Just experimenting - thoughts re processing? compositon? hind paw bothersome?

LR4, CS6 duotone

Nikon D7000 - 50mm Nikor f1.4G f5.6 ISO400 I believe. HH

Bob

Edited on Aug 12, 2012 at 05:11 PM · View previous versions

Aug 12, 2012 at 04:32 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cat play....

The processing seems ok and the image looks sharp and well exposed. Not sure about anything behind the head. You could crop well in front of the foot.

Aug 12, 2012 at 04:45 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cat play....

ben egbert wrote:
The processing seems ok and the image looks sharp and well exposed. Not sure about anything behind the head. You could crop well in front of the foot.

Thanks Ben,

Appreciate your looking and thoughts.

Looking back and what I see now - generally I see shapes with the paw helping anchor the image. I did a crop but then there is this long dark protrusion into the frame coming from nowhere - at least my perception.

I like the lines formed by the long axis of Tom's body, the line of the expansion joint and its intersection with of the dominate line of the body. These help stop the eye's travel, curiously enough, at Tom's eyes and gaze.

Processing - looked much better before resizing and posting to web. Also, perhaps imagination or less than perfect vision, images look better to me when viewed in CS6 as opposed to LR4.1 - they just seem to lose their edge and crispness.

Anyway my thoughts in retrospect. Over-analysis? Perhaps. It is what it is.

Anyone else? Agree? Disagree? Have another beer?

Regards,

Bob

Aug 12, 2012 at 06:29 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cat play....

Bob, composition, especially formally explained is way out of my element. When I get into composition discussions, its all intuitive.

I hope to learn on this forum, so whatever I say about other images is part of that.

Aug 12, 2012 at 07:32 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cat play....

ben egbert wrote:
Bob, composition, especially formally explained is way out of my element. When I get into composition discussions, its all intuitive.

I hope to learn on this forum, so whatever I say about other images is part of that.

Ben,

Hope you did not misinterpret my comments. In this instance I realized the geometry hit me after the post.

Just trying to understand why certain images appeal to me while others do not.

We all have much to learn, over the years I've gravitated to shapes, geometry, and lines. I find them the best way to express what I find pleasing to the eye. I arrived at this point through FM participation and research on composition. Likewise, as much as I enjoy landscapes I feel that I have little to offer in the way of comments since others do so much better.

So, keep offering your thoughts and comments...the only way we can all learn,

Regards,

Bob

Aug 12, 2012 at 07:55 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cat play....

Don't care for the toning color. Perhaps a tighter crop, sepia toning, darker, and some vignette?

Aug 12, 2012 at 08:32 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cat play....

AuntiPode wrote:
Don't care for the toning color. Perhaps a tighter crop, sepia toning, darker, and some vignette?

Yes, much better - I need to control my recent obsession with toning. I like the vignette too.

Any idea what is causing the blur across/between ears? Also, any suggestion how to control the blocked up area on bridge of nose?

Thanks for the re-work.

Bob

Aug 13, 2012 at 05:41 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cat play....

Bob,; I used Nik Silver Efex Pro to remove shading & enhance B&W... Major crop... Added structure to fur & pavement; Darkened pavement; Colorized eyes... Do not know if it helped but I love playing with images... Jim

Edited on Aug 13, 2012 at 09:05 AM · View previous versions

Aug 13, 2012 at 06:42 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cat play....

oldrattler wrote:
Bob,; I used Nik Silver Efex Pro to remove shading & enhance B&W... Major crop... Added structure to fur & pavement; Darkened pavement; Colorized eyes... Do not know if it helped but I love playing with images... Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the re-work. It occurred to me after responding the @AuntiPode that perhaps the image is a better candidate for SEPro. Great minds... And, play away - how we learn (at least for me - got to see to believe).

Might have a go at that workflow this evening if time permits.

I also took one of Frenchie - orange cat - had a similar problem with bridge of nose and blocking up. Granularity of SEPro and CPs could solve that issue too.

Thanks again,

Bob

Aug 13, 2012 at 07:14 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cat play....

I suspect the "blurring" across/behind the ears may be an effect of the nature of the cat's fur rather than actual blurring. To unblock the white place on the nose, consider using the adjustment brush in ACR to knock back the exposure a bit on the selected portion of the nose. In PS a selection of the nose could be grafted from a copy with different processing and blended. Or a selection from the nose could be made and the gamma and/or exposure reduced.

Aug 13, 2012 at 02:16 PM
evillemperor

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cat play....

I like the composition a lot. I think a little too much sharpening was applied, but that's just me. Great shot!

Aug 13, 2012 at 04:13 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cat play....

I really like seeing the group effort and evolution of reworks.
To me Jim's version works best.
Scott

Aug 13, 2012 at 06:20 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cat play....

sbeme wrote:
I really like seeing the group effort and evolution of reworks.
To me Jim's version works best.
Scott

Silver Efex Pro2 version with a touch of sharpening in CS6...

© Bob Jarman 2012

Aug 13, 2012 at 07:00 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Cat play....

AuntiPode wrote:
I suspect the "blurring" across/behind the ears may be an effect of the nature of the cat's fur rather than actual blurring. To unblock the white place on the nose, consider using the adjustment brush in ACR to knock back the exposure a bit on the selected portion of the nose. In PS a selection of the nose could be grafted from a copy with different processing and blended. Or a selection from the nose could be made and the gamma and/or exposure reduced.

Dander - see above

Aug 13, 2012 at 07:01 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Cat play....

On my cat, when the light strikes her fur at an angle, it can shine in a way that can look like blur when photographed.

Aug 13, 2012 at 07:46 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Cat play....

Like the last one too, Bob.
Scott

Aug 14, 2012 at 01:57 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Cat play....

+1 @ Scott x 2 ... rework evolution & the last one.

Aug 14, 2012 at 03:37 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Cat play....

AuntiPode, Scott, RustyBug,

Thanks, interesting path to this point.

Bob

Aug 14, 2012 at 06:44 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.