Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Fixing the d7000's ugly shadows using PSKISS's Cross Camera DNG Profiles.

jlawrence
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fixing the d7000's ugly shadows using PSKISS's Cross Camera DNG Profiles.

This may be old news for veteran d7000 users on this board.

I've been losing alot of time lately with fixing the d7000's images, to the point where it just sat in the bag and became back up for the back up. My main issue is the shadow color of my particular d7000 is green or purple, I didn't have this problem with the d700 so in the past I've had troubles making the colors match.

I discovered the PS KiSS Cross Camera DNG profile thing and it took care of nearly all the problems I have with the d7000. (there's still the focus issue and large amounts of high iso noise, that I seem to experience, but that's for another thread..)

Apparently using the d3 color profile sets the d7000's colors to close to that of the d700 I use for work.

I re-fell in love with the d7000.

*this was with the image already corrected with +1.00 exposure.

*before any corrections, just the d3 portrait profile applied.

if any of you are interested in this stuff, I've uploaded more screen caps on this flickr set

I will not be posting any links to their website as I'm not advertising for them, just merely showing my excitement, if that makes any sense.

Aug 12, 2012 at 02:44 AM
ChrisCoy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fixing the d7000's ugly shadows using PSKISS's Cross Camera DNG Profiles.

I have a wedding photog friend who originally bought the D7000 as a backup as well. She complained that it had a greenish tint to it also. I'll pas this on to her.

Aug 12, 2012 at 03:00 AM
slrl0ver
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fixing the d7000's ugly shadows using PSKISS's Cross Camera DNG Profiles.

Just curious, if you looked into the X-Rite Color Checker passport? It will supposedly let you calibrate your camera and get the colors correct. No personal experience, but I've read others here speak highly about it.

Aug 12, 2012 at 04:42 PM
jlawrence
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fixing the d7000's ugly shadows using PSKISS's Cross Camera DNG Profiles.

slrl0ver wrote:
Just curious, if you looked into the X-Rite Color Checker passport? It will supposedly let you calibrate your camera and get the colors correct. No personal experience, but I've read others here speak highly about it.

I shoot weddings and most times I do a pretty good job at judging white balance by eye. I've looked into the color checker and for the cost, this was much cheaper.

plus general white balancing was never the issue, look at the screen shot above, nothing's changed other than exposure. It's the fact that the shadows are purple when it comes to skin tones. So depending on what the white balance is, you can end up with some really nasty skin tones. for example purple midtones and normal shadows, or green shadows and normal midtones- to me, neither is acceptable.

I've lost numerous "moments" because I didn't notice this sooner.

Aug 13, 2012 at 03:32 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.