Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 5D Mk3 Overwhelming?

alfarmer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D Mk3 Overwhelming?

Finally got a chance to see the 5D3 up close for a while and found it a bit overwhelming. TONS of new functionality compared to my 5DC. Is this a reaction other people had as well?

Aug 11, 2012 at 05:18 PM
jstntym
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D Mk3 Overwhelming?

alfarmer wrote:
Finally got a chance to see the 5D3 up close for a while and found it a bit overwhelming. TONS of new functionality compared to my 5DC. Is this a reaction other people had as well?

Coming from a 5D MkII it wasn't difficult. The new AF system took some getting used to and experimenting a good bit. I'm still learning my way around all the newer menus and some of the additional features. I did however purchase the e-book on the 5D MkIII and recently the 5D MkIII Digital Field Guide by Charlotte Lowrie which aids as a reference also!

btw, the e-book was a Kindle for PC version by Douglas Klosterman

Aug 11, 2012 at 05:28 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D Mk3 Overwhelming?

At it's core it's like every other DSLR: a viewfinder, a shutter button, and exposure controls. The rest you can ease in to at your own pace

Aug 11, 2012 at 05:40 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D Mk3 Overwhelming?

The 5D3 feels very familiar to me, sorta a cross between the 5D2 and 7D, but with a little extra bang in da arse. The basic menu system and controls are so similar to those prior cameras you barely need to crack the manual. The 5D is from a different world and is very similar to the interface of 10D/20D that came before it.

Edited on Aug 11, 2012 at 06:23 PM · View previous versions

Aug 11, 2012 at 06:21 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D Mk3 Overwhelming?

I normally carry two cameras 5d3 and 5d2(one with something like the 17-40 on and one with either 70-200 or 135) what I`m seeing is that the mk3 seems to be more critical to exposure. I have taken to AEBracketing with the mk3 and select an image with the histo well over to the right or anything that isn`t well lit in a scene really seems to attract noise a lot more than the mk2.

Anyone else seeing that?

Aug 11, 2012 at 06:23 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D Mk3 Overwhelming?

alfarmer wrote:

The 5D2 and 5D3 both introduced a number of new features that were not on the 5D. When I got my 5D2 over 3 1/2 years ago, I initially ignored the new features and just shot the thing as if it were a 5D with more resolution. This isn't a bad way to start out - it works, it is simple, and you can get yourself up and running on the new camera without a lot of "pre-game activities."

Soon after that, it is a great idea to spend a bit of time with the manual just going through some of the new stuff - to see what's there, to figure out how it works, and to determine whether or not the features have real value for you. For example, when I learned how to actually use "live view," I became a complete convert to it for most of my photography. On the other hand, after I learned how the video mode worked I basically never went back to it since I don't need it for my photography.

Dan

Aug 11, 2012 at 06:45 PM
jstntym
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D Mk3 Overwhelming?

gdanmitchell wrote:
For example, when I learned how to actually use "live view," I became a complete convert to it for most of my photography.

Dan

Dan, may I ask what is your preference for focusing in LV for a still object? A tripod will be used, and do you use the AF or prefer to manually focus the lens after magnification. I'm guessing that using manual you can possibly attain a sharper image. I've not yet tried it either way as I haven't used LV for my exposures. Thanks, Will

Aug 11, 2012 at 08:29 PM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D Mk3 Overwhelming?

I'm guessing that using manual you can possibly attain a sharper image.

Almost all Canon AF lenses I owned had very steep focusing ring and achieving very precise focus in LV by turning the ring was difficult. With 5D2, the LV AF function can achieve precise focus in less than a second.

Aug 12, 2012 at 03:24 AM
Hathaway

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D Mk3 Overwhelming?

I moved up from a 20d. Talk about a learning curve. I have been experimenting, shooting a lot in controlled situations and dashing back to the manual and these forums to build my understanding and confidence. Still have ventured on the MFA for my lenses. I will see the first set of results from this weekends shooting of my granddaughter's first birthday. Lots of chimping seemed to show some good shots. Still haven't loaded them on the PC to check.

It is going to be a fun learning curve.

Aug 12, 2012 at 03:35 AM
alfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D Mk3 Overwhelming?

I spent today toying with the different versions of "zone" AF, by which I don't mean the thing Canon calls "zone". Rather, I mean anything that's a cluster of sensors.

There are many options and customizations, but I'm not sure how much practical usage they yield? Don't get me wrong, it's really cool (propeller on overdrive), but the differences seem quite subtle.

This is also the first user manual I've seen that classifies all the different Canon lenses by AF capability. Others may have done so in the past, I've just not seen them. Particularly interesting was the 24-105L classification. It makes sense given it's not a 2.8, but kinda odd because it's the 5D-3 "kit" lens.

While I agree this is going to be an interesting & fun journey of discovery, I think I'll be keeping my 5DC around until the destination is reached. :-)

Aug 12, 2012 at 04:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kathy White
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D Mk3 Overwhelming?

I went from a film Rebel to the very first Digital Rebel to a 40D then 5DII on to 5dIII. None seemed so different that they seemed overwhelming. I did as gdanmitchel did and shot them like I knew as I learned the new features.

I am, however, overwhelmed when I go back and see the number of OOF files I used to get. I have quickly adjusted to In Focus shots with my 5DIII. That I find just overwhelming..... .

Aug 12, 2012 at 05:15 AM
Papathanassiou
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D Mk3 Overwhelming?

jstntym wrote:
Dan, may I ask what is your preference for focusing in LV for a still object? A tripod will be used, and do you use the AF or prefer to manually focus the lens after magnification. I'm guessing that using manual you can possibly attain a sharper image. I've not yet tried it either way as I haven't used LV for my exposures. Thanks, Will

You will have to gear up Will, you dont know what your missing!

Papa.

Aug 12, 2012 at 08:38 AM
jstntym
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D Mk3 Overwhelming?

You will have to gear up Will, you dont know what your missing!

Papa.

No question about it Papa! I've got quite a long way to go. I'm diving into it today...both ways actually. I was browsing the manual last night and on Focusing Manually pg 214 it mentions under the sub-heading " You can magnify the image and focus precisely with manual focus" which is very encouraging. I shoot a lot of stills indoors under lights so with a tripod and LV using both AF or Manual I should get some great exposures. Up to date I've got to be honest, though using the Manual Mode strictly, I've mostly relied on the AF to get the shot as it's quick and easy. Using the LV is definitely going to enhance the experience ten fold!

Aug 12, 2012 at 02:49 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D Mk3 Overwhelming?

alfarmer wrote:

if you try to take in all the features in the manual at one sitting I agree it seems overwhelming. Many features you won't worry about and to start shooting there's actually not that much extra you need to learn. It's mainly things like HDR and multiple exposure and the nuances of the AF when in Servo mode that require a bit more study. Just start with the basics and build up bit-by-bit, it becomes second nature quickly.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:19 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D Mk3 Overwhelming?

jstntym wrote:

Sure. Before I add some comments here, I wrote an article on this subject at my blog some time ago. It summarizes a bunch of useful applications for live view, some of which might not be apparent at first. (It also mentions a few downsides that you should know about.)

http://www.gdanmitchell.com/2009/07/06/why-i-like-live-view-on-my-canon-eos-5d-mark-ii

The basic outline of my approach when shooting subjects that work well with live view includes the following:

1. I often initially frame the composition through the viewfinder, sometimes while hand holding the camera and sometimes while it is already mounted on the tripod.
  2. I reserve live view for tripod-based shooting, virtually never shooting that way while hand holding the camera.
  3. I use a remote release
  4. I usually check my compositional framing in live view, too, since I sort of see the image a bit better in the context of what it might look like as a print.
  5. To focus I zoom to the 10x magnification setting and locate the view area on the primary area of focus. I sort of "rock" the focus back and forth until I can find the optimum focus point.
  6. I like to hit the DOF preview button and then move the view area around the frame to manually check the effect of aperture selection on subjects at various distances.
  7. I often at least initially show the live histogram over the display in live view, though I prefer to switch that off before I make the exposure.

Hope that is useful to you!

Dan

Aug 13, 2012 at 04:56 PM
jstntym
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D Mk3 Overwhelming?

Wow, excellent info Dan! I appreciate the link. All very solid and easily digestible items.I was impressed by all points with #3 being my favorite as I've often been frustrated using the DOF preview thru the viewfinder because of the loss of image brightness. Knowing that @ f/16 or f/4 the image retains brightness in the display is much easier on the eyes, and better yet using the magnifier..I bookmarked the site because the amount of info is overwhelming currently due to some time constraints, but I'll definitely be following up later as there were many things of interest!

I'm trying to put it all together and see that it's just going to take as long as it takes. I did some experimenting with the LV yesterday shooting with my make-shift indoor lighting with highly desireable results. It was much easier with the LV for my still compositions. I just used my 24-105 lens and experimented with f-stops using AF and Manual focus. I much preferred the Manual but was having slight frustrations getting the sweet spot of my lens and your offerings give me a better idea of what I can do to balance the focal points by "rocking" the magnifier around. I didn't know you could do that without resetting to center point and moving the box around...It seems the more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know, and thats a good thing. Thanks for taking the time to help Dan, it's much appreciated. And to the OP, please forgive the thread drift.. Regards, Will

Aug 13, 2012 at 08:57 PM
arloc1959

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D Mk3 Overwhelming?

Come on! Your just afraid to shoot it.Took me just a day or two to get CF-1 set up for portraits, CF-2 for action and sports, and CF-3 for landscape, nature and such. Each with different AF settings and all that. Have had the camera but a week and alreadyput it to the test at the speedboat races (the PRO racers man!) using CF-2.. Only wish I had more focal power than my 24-105... But Ive took a peeek in camera using the zoom feature and man these pics are sharp! Just be sure to select the appropriate <CASE> setting for your subject situation.. The canadians had the better view and were closer the the boats, but my new 5D MK III locked on using <CASE2>.. Ignoring all the anchored boats bobbing up and down in the water themselves.. Was awsome.. Play with the camera!

Aug 14, 2012 at 02:18 AM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5D Mk3 Overwhelming?

dave chilvers wrote:
I normally carry two cameras 5d3 and 5d2(one with something like the 17-40 on and one with either 70-200 or 135) what I`m seeing is that the mk3 seems to be more critical to exposure. I have taken to AEBracketing with the mk3 and select an image with the histo well over to the right or anything that isn`t well lit in a scene really seems to attract noise a lot more than the mk2.

Anyone else seeing that?

Nope, I'm seeing the opposite in fact. I always try to expose to the right if it's something I'll mess with later, so perhaps I'm not seeing the data you're seeing. I've found that the exposure meter works as well as any I've used, and the shadows have a bit more latitude than the 5D2 or 1D3, certainly way better in all respects compared to the 7D.

Aug 14, 2012 at 03:30 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5D Mk3 Overwhelming?

gdanmitchell wrote:
The 5D2 and 5D3 both introduced a number of new features that were not on the 5D. When I got my 5D2 over 3 1/2 years ago, I initially ignored the new features and just shot the thing as if it were a 5D with more resolution. This isn't a bad way to start out - it works, it is simple, and you can get yourself up and running on the new camera without a lot of "pre-game activities."

Soon after that, it is a great idea to spend a bit of time with the manual just going through some of
...Show more

There is a video mode!!!!

Aug 14, 2012 at 03:52 AM
fixedgearmike
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5D Mk3 Overwhelming?

I just got a 5d3 last night and spent a couple of hours playing with it and damn is complicated...

am coming from a 1ds2, and am finding the menus and changing stuff really non-intuitive. I guess I'll get used to it - or switch it for a 1ds3 if prices keep dropping!

Aug 14, 2012 at 06:49 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password