Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Advice for shooting indoor soccer

HoldenMan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice for shooting indoor soccer

So tonight I'm having my first crack at shooting Futsal (Indoor soccer). Of all sports I mainly shoot soccer, but haven't been going great (earlier postings have shown image quality problems, as well as focus / timing issues)

Never shot indoor sports before, so I'm wondering if anybody has any advice, tips etc.

It's an amateur comp, so I think I'll stay away from using flash - don't want to distract the players.

I've got a EOS 30D (so noise is a bit nasty at 800ISO, and pretty bad at 1600), and a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 lens. Also got some shorter, slower lenses - including a nifty fifty, and the 17-85 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.

Will the 70-200 be too close, or will it just mean I can reach most of the pitch, and just miss stuff right in front of me?

How about positioning advice? halfway somewhere, get the most reach across the pitch? In particular, I want to photograph one of the keepers and another player on his team.

Any recommendation on the settings to use? I figure I probably want to shoot wide open, which then leaves me to pick the shutter speed then the lowest ISO I can use. Any chance I could go lower than about 1/500, do you think?

Aug 09, 2012 at 09:12 PM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice for shooting indoor soccer

You should stay around 1/640. 1/500 will be pushing it as far as motion blur.

Stick with the 70-200 as the others will probably be too slow.

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:54 AM
PennsyBill
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice for shooting indoor soccer

I don't know what it's like in Australia but have you been to one of the venues where they play indoor soccer? I've been to several in the US and they were very poorly lit and I don't think ISO 1600 will be enough to get you 1/500.

The lighting isn't only weak, it's inconsistent --- think about a high school gym that has bad lighting , turn off half of the lights and let the other's flicker at random --- indoor soccer.

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:54 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice for shooting indoor soccer

HoldenMan wrote:
So tonight I'm having my first crack at shooting Futsal (Indoor soccer). Of all sports I mainly shoot soccer, but haven't been going great (earlier postings have shown image quality problems, as well as focus / timing issues)

Never shot indoor sports before, so I'm wondering if anybody has any advice, tips etc.

It's an amateur comp, so I think I'll stay away from using flash - don't want to distract the players.

I've got a EOS 30D (so noise is a bit nasty at 800ISO, and pretty bad at 1600), and a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 lens. Also got some shorter, slower lenses
...Show more

One time I took a few shots of an indoor soccer game in a poorly lit convention center using a Canon 450D and 50mm 1.8 -- pics were at f2.2, 1/640, ISO 2500

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7210/6928055037_2726d1ba67_b.jpg

Aug 11, 2012 at 06:26 PM
James L
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice for shooting indoor soccer

I did a bit of Futsal photos in a gym. The gym lighting on its own was about average I would say and I was stuck around 1600 ISO and shot some at 3200 with my D300 and 70-200 2.8. I also used my 50 1.8 and was able to go down to 800 ISO and still have enough to freeze most of the action.

My advice would be to get some (rent maybe if you dont have) strobes to bounce so you have more range to work with. If it is a paid gig hopefully there is some room there for that expense.

Aug 11, 2012 at 08:03 PM
HoldenMan
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice for shooting indoor soccer

Nah, just shooting for my own benefit

Well, I went to the game, and brought my camera along. That was pretty much the hardest sport I've shot, easily. Quite frustrating really. First off I think my viewfinder needs adjusting again -nothing at all looked like it was in focus, so I was just kind of hoping the camera worked better than it seemed to.

Having everything so close makes it very difficult to follow the game, and even harder for the focus to keep up. Considering a shot can come from almost anywhere on the court it made it difficult to try and get shots of the keeper, and timing is key – unfortunately, timing is still my weak point. Didn't get a single keeper save that I was happy with, just a lot of weird facial expressions with the edge of a ball disappearing off the frame.

Varied between 1600 and 3200 ISO and a few shutter speeds – only had a quick look, but I'll report back when I can have a closer look to compare the different speeds on the shots.

Of course the 3200ISO looks terrible – so maye I'll just PP them to some faux-reportage style or something :P

I found that shooting down near a corner was a bit easier than shooting at halfway, but unfortunately it wasn't possible to stand directly behind the court, just about 5 yards up from the corner was where I was.

So yeah – lots of out of focus shots, and lots of mistimed shots, or ones with other players in the way. A few that an average viewer might like, but the outcome was a far cry from my outdoor shots.

Incidentally, I have shot Futsal before, but it was in a much more brightly lit stadium, was on the bigger sized court, and I could stand a bit further back, which meant that shooting it felt a bit more like shooting outdoor than what this one did. Very, very trying, and I was really pushing the limits of my equipment, and skill, to get the shots I did get. I'll post some later in the week – got the fiance's family staying in the spare room at the moment, so I have very limited access to my photo PC.

Aug 12, 2012 at 04:02 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.