Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Get a 7D or Mark III now? Which one to get?

Brea

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Get a 7D or Mark III now? Which one to get?

Which one should I get now? I need the best budget Canon possible then saving for a 5D3.

EDIT: I love to shoot all kinds of event portraits (not studio) so I handhold 99% of my shots. I only one lens at the moment and that is the 70-200 IS USM II

Edited on Aug 08, 2012 at 03:08 PM · View previous versions

Aug 08, 2012 at 08:50 AM
nrferguson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Get a 7D or Mark III now? Which one to get?

Why would you want both? After getting the 5D Mk3 to replce my Mk2 I have relegated my 7D to "back up" status. However, if you're worried about an imminent replacement of the 7D be partly reassured as Canon have just released a major Firmware upgrade so early replacement seems unlikely.
Niall

Aug 08, 2012 at 10:17 AM
Fr3d
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Get a 7D or Mark III now? Which one to get?

You should, because a 7D will stop working the moment the update is announced.
The same thing happened with the 1D3, it is already outdated by a factor of 2.
The guys who still "try" to take pictures with it (in lieu of the current model this
is hardly possible btw) only do so because they went bankrupt when they bought
it new and can't find a noob to sell it to now to fund the latest and greatest.

Aug 08, 2012 at 10:21 AM
dmcharg
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Get a 7D or Mark III now? Which one to get?

Both are excellent cameras so you can't go wrong with either. Your always going to pay top $ for the latest and greatest but the 7D is still an excellent body and depending on the person behind the camera can deliver stunning results. If photography is just a hobby get the 7D as its great value at its current prices. What body/lens are you currently using ? In terms of upgrades i've always found money spent on really good quality lens makes a huge difference where as body upgrades are always more incremental in nature, for instance when i picked up the 135F2L i could not believe the difference.

Aug 08, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Get a 7D or Mark III now? Which one to get?

Brea,
When you say mark III do you mean a 5D3 or a 1D3?

I guess with either the 7D can still have a place in the bag but it justifies itself more with the 5D3 .
You would only really use it when 'reach limited' . But having a 100-400 on my 7D and still being reach limited on occasions I can say I like the 1.6 crop quite a bit.
Yes I would love a 5D3 but probably not at the 7D's expense

Aug 08, 2012 at 11:20 AM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Get a 7D or Mark III now? Which one to get?

If you plan to get both anyway I would go 7D first, some great prices on the B&S board lately. This would allow you to wait till the holidays when their will likely be some great deals on 5D3.

Both are great bodies!

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:14 PM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Get a 7D or Mark III now? Which one to get?

Mark III what?
5D mark III
1D mark III
1Ds mark III

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:27 PM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Get a 7D or Mark III now? Which one to get?

If you shoot in any kind of reach-limited situations such as wildlife, sports, etc., I would 100% get the 7D first.

If, OTOH, you shoot mostly in situations where you can get closer to your subject, zoom in sufficiently, or have primes of the focal length required to fill your frame, then I would get the 5D3 first.

All that was said without considering money. A Canon refurb 7D with Canon factory warranty can be had for $1119 under CLP (Google) --- a 5D3 (no refurbs available) will set you back about $3400 new or about $3200 used if you can find one.

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Get a 7D or Mark III now? Which one to get?

Brea wrote:
I plan to get both in the future, but am worried of a 7D update.

News flash... the Mark III is going to be updated, too...

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:59 PM
akclimber
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Get a 7D or Mark III now? Which one to get?

I bought a 5D3 and sold my 7D (and will be selling my 5D2). I never much liked the IQ from the 7D (loved the ergonomics tho and the AF was good). I pretty much used the 7D exclusively for whales, other large critters and birds and altho I do sometimes miss the crop factor and extra 2 fps, I think the IQ of the 5D3 is much better than the 7D as is the AF and the loss of 2 fps hasn't made much of a difference in my whale and large critter shooting. If Canon miraculously introduces a 7D2 with a better sensor that's comparable to the Sony/Nikon sensors, keeps the 8 fps (or goes even faster) and includes the 5D3 AF, I'd buy one in a heartbeat tho.

Aug 08, 2012 at 02:10 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Get a 7D or Mark III now? Which one to get?

the 1dmkIII is a great camera during its time. Early versions had AF issues. Having said that I feel the 7d is more versatile unless you need a 1d-series robust body.

Aug 08, 2012 at 05:22 PM
eeprete
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Get a 7D or Mark III now? Which one to get?

If my only lens was a 70-200, I wouldn't be getting a 7D... I'd be getting a used 5D first gen, and a 24-70L lens.

Aug 09, 2012 at 01:16 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Get a 7D or Mark III now? Which one to get?

eeprete wrote:
If my only lens was a 70-200, I wouldn't be getting a 7D... I'd be getting a used 5D first gen, and a 24-70L lens.

I agree. A crop with a 70-200 seems a bit long for an all around combo. I think the OP needs to put more thought into lenses than another camera.

Aug 09, 2012 at 01:30 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Get a 7D or Mark III now? Which one to get?

Paul Tessier wrote:
Mark III what?
5D mark III
1D mark III
1Ds mark III

exactly. A bunch of wasted arguing until that gets answered

Aug 09, 2012 at 01:39 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Get a 7D or Mark III now? Which one to get?

Paul Tessier wrote:
Mark III what?
5D mark III
1D mark III
1Ds mark III

+1
I've read every post in this thread. When I began, I assumed that the OP was talking about the 1D Mark III because the 7D and 1D Mark III are often considered as camera choices by those who shoot a lot of action. As I read on, I started to think that the OP might well have been talking about the 5D Mark III because the 7D and 5D Mark III are both cameras in Canon's current lineup. And, even though I doubt that it is the case, he/she could have been talking about the 1Ds Mark III.

galenapass wrote
A crop with a 70-200 seems a bit long for an all around combo. I think the OP needs to put more thought into lenses than another camera.

I also agree with the above. Regardless of how fine a lens the 70-200 IS II might be, if it is the only lens that the OP has, he/she will open up more photographic opportunities using whatever body he/she is currently using and by adding a couple of additional well-chosen lens options than he/she will have with just the 70-200.

Les

Aug 09, 2012 at 02:07 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Get a 7D or Mark III now? Which one to get?

OK so the OP has edited the first post

They are Talking 5D3

In which case I would say the 5D3 as its probably the best alround camera in canon land .

the shorter lens is likely to still need addressing though.

Aug 09, 2012 at 02:16 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password