Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Reason why a camera won't shoot faster than 1/3000?

bigbluebear
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reason why a camera won't shoot faster than 1/3000?

A friend of mine has a 1 series body that for some reason won't capture images that are taken faster than 1/3000. The shutter will still fire over 1/3000 but it just won't capture an image. I suggested that it might be a sign that the shutter is going out. Am I right?

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:25 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reason why a camera won't shoot faster than 1/3000?

datousteve wrote:
A friend of mine has a 1 series body that for some reason won't capture images that are taken faster than 1/3000. The shutter will still fire over 1/3000 but it just won't capture an image. I suggested that it might be a sign that the shutter is going out. Am I right?

A little more info please...which 1 series? If it's an original 1D, are you using a remote or manual flash? If I remember correctly, my 1D will sync upto 1/2500 (without the use of high-speed sync mode).

Omar

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:41 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Reason why a camera won't shoot faster than 1/3000?

It's the 1D2. In the case scenario, there is no remote or manual flash. Just pointing it at a subject and pushing the little button.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1dmkii

From that link, it seems that the 1d2 and the 1d should be able to shoot up to 1/8000 and 1/16000, respectively.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Reason why a camera won't shoot faster than 1/3000?

Was the friend on Av?

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:41 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Reason why a camera won't shoot faster than 1/3000?

Steve, look like shutter speed range has been set in Pers page...try again after reset that pers setting.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:41 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Reason why a camera won't shoot faster than 1/3000?

datousteve wrote:
It's the 1D2. In the case scenario, there is no remote or manual flash. Just pointing it at a subject and pushing the little button.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1dmkii

From that link, it seems that the 1d2 and the 1d should be able to shoot up to 1/8000 and 1/16000, respectively.

Other than the afore mentioned flash-sync speed with the original 1D, I can't think of another issue that will prevent a shutter from opening at high speeds other than a mechanical failure. I suppose you can try changing lenses just to disclude any possiblity that it's a lens/aperture related issue.

Omar

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:47 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Reason why a camera won't shoot faster than 1/3000?

datousteve wrote:
... The shutter will still fire over 1/3000 but it just won't capture an image.

mttran wrote:
Steve, look like shutter speed range has been set in Pers page...

I don't think that's a settings issue.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:53 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Reason why a camera won't shoot faster than 1/3000?

datousteve wrote:
The shutter will still fire over 1/3000 but it just won't capture an image. I suggested that it might be a sign that the shutter is going out. Am I right?

Could be an electronics issue or perhaps the travelling slit doesn't open up enough.

One way to get an indication of it being electronics or mechanical would be to test the exposure accuracy (on Manual) of the shutter speeds up to and including the last working speed, by varying the aperture as needed on a good lens. If the exposures are consistent right up to that point, then it is probably electronics. If they deteriorate (perhaps getting darker) then it might be the shutter, but try it with two or more lenses if you get that indication, to be sure to eliminate any lens issue.

... Which leads to the question, does it behave like that with more than one lens?

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:08 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Reason why a camera won't shoot faster than 1/3000?

Have you taken a frame at 1/4000 second (presumably dark) and bumped it up with PS or DPP to see if anything is on the frame?

Or does it simply not produce an image at all?

If it does not produce any image file at all, then it might be electronics or firmware. Has it got the latest firmware?

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:10 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Reason why a camera won't shoot faster than 1/3000?

Has your friend tried removing all the batteries? The main power battery and the tiny memory battery? Leave them out for 30 minutes with the power switch On, and then turn it off and re-install and re-test.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:12 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Reason why a camera won't shoot faster than 1/3000?

BrianO wrote:
I don't think that's a settings issue.

+1, ahh...did not see that shutter still fire...i would double check elect/mech sync of shutter, mirror and lens shutter...etc

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:16 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Reason why a camera won't shoot faster than 1/3000?

I guess this isn't a common issue! Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll pass them along and report back with any findings.

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:18 PM
Chumma
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Reason why a camera won't shoot faster than 1/3000?

Just curious. Why is the maximum shutter speed on any camera always 1/8000?

Aug 07, 2012 at 10:35 PM
WebDog
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Reason why a camera won't shoot faster than 1/3000?

Chumma wrote:
Just curious. Why is the maximum shutter speed on any camera always 1/8000?

No

The old 1D had 1/16000

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:25 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Reason why a camera won't shoot faster than 1/3000?

Purely mechanical shutters used to have limits of 1/500 and then 1/1000.

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:44 AM
PaulB
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Reason why a camera won't shoot faster than 1/3000?

Monito wrote:
Purely mechanical shutters used to have limits of 1/500 and then 1/1000.

It's physics.
The mass of the shutter determines the speed at which you can move the curtains.
The old cloth FP shutters ran across the frame and weighed a lot more than the first aluminium bladed vertical shutters - so the possible shutter speeds went up.
Then there is mechanical timing against electronic timing of the shutter - often the old cloth shutters at 1/000th./sec. might give 1/750th in real world terms.
Lighter materials - titanium and now carbon/titanium blades coupled with precise electronic timing means that 1/8000th./sec. is the norm.
The original 1D is a special case where the sensor was a CCD and the higher shutter speeds were achieved through turning the CCD off - only the first shutter curtain was used to start the exposure. This allowed the higher top speed of 1/16000th./sec.and the very high flash sync - and NO, you can't do that with a CMOS sensor!

Aug 08, 2012 at 06:43 AM
wickerprints
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Reason why a camera won't shoot faster than 1/3000?

For a focal plane shutter, at shutter speeds faster than the sync speed, the duration of exposure generally is not determined by the rate of shutter curtain's movement, but rather, by the width of the gap between the first and second curtains. This is an important principle to remember. A faster curtain speed only facilitates a faster sync speed, but no DSLR focal plane shutters have a sync speed as fast as 1/3000 s. In actuality, these shutters typically take around 1/250 - 1/500 s to travel the 24mm vertical distance.

With this in mind, what exactly is meant by "it just won't capture an image?" Does that mean that no file is generated at all? Or does that mean a file is written to the card by the camera, but it is black? If the former, there is some defect other than (and perhaps in addition to) the shutter mechanism. If the latter, then see if the resulting file contains sensor noise. If not--the file is pure black--then again, there is some other defect. If there is read noise, then shutter failure is the likely culprit. For further supporting evidence, check for the possibility of exposure inaccuracies by shooting a uniformly-lit subject (e.g. clear blue sky) at shutter speeds approaching 1/3000 s, then compare with an average of baseline exposures taken below the sync speed of the shutter. If the curtain timing is off, this should manifest as exposure error.

If no exposure discrepancy is discovered, that should not be construed as proper operation of the shutter.

Finally, one should double-check whether or not the shutter even opens at all at high speed. This can be done by engaging mirror lock-up, removing the lens, and listening for the shutter sound in addition to watching the shutter for any sign of movement.

Aug 08, 2012 at 07:09 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.