1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · My thoughts on the RX100

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · My thoughts on the RX100

FlyPenFly wrote:
I would have to say for me, the RX100 feels much nicer than a NEX-7 or any of the NEX cameras.

It feels more like the Zeiss ZA 24mm F1.8. Its about on the level of a unibody Macbook Pro or Air.

That would make more sense then. The quality looks a little higher than the NEX-7 (not that the NEX-7 is bad at all in that department) in the images of the RX100 I have seen.

Aug 08, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · My thoughts on the RX100

When I think about all the things that enter into my decision whether to buy a camera, the construction of the battery compartment door or how the trigger on the zoom around the shutter button compares to other cameras is way way way down the list.

Aug 08, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · My thoughts on the RX100

millsart wrote:
Even if it were only $399, if you aren't really going to use it then its a waste of money. Heck, I could offer you one for $100 and again, if its just going to sit on your shelf because you've got no use for a true pocket camera, then you wasted $100 (no reselling for profit allowed )

Really though, I've got to ask how does the build quality equate to usefulness of the camera ?

Lets just pretend that its hand assembled, machined from a solid hunk of brass, and basically out Leica's a Leica, because lets face it,
...Show more

Everyone has their own value system/ expectation they overlay on top of whatever product they buy and various product qualities represent different values/ worth to all of us. For some it might be X dollars or so for actual practicality/ usefulness/ features and anything beyond that amount must be justified by other product qualities that might have little to do with actual usefulness (such as aesthetics, materials and whatever else might go into pride of ownership). So, for me, I often carry a $100 little Canon P&S (SD1300IS) which I have no problem tossing around and if something terrible happens to it, no big deal really. In fact, I let my 5yr old use it mostly these days. Something close to $700 though I would treat completely differently and that price for me for a P&S (albeit one more capable than the Canon) must include pride of ownership which for me definitely includes a heavy dose of design aesthetic/ material/ build quality and so on. For me to pay that much, it would have to take on the qualities of a fine watch and so forth because I know I could buy something much more capable for the same money which really would not be that different to carry (since I suspect most folks who buy the RX100 will not actually put this $700 camera in their pocket but will rather buy a nice case for it or carry it in the same small gadget bag a small NEX with one lens would fit into instead! I'm sure there are exceptions).

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:22 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · My thoughts on the RX100

Tariq,

I'm a little confused by your last post. What other camera would you buy for $700 that would be as easy to carry as the RX100 and give comparable image quality?

Or are you saying that you don't value the size of the RX100?

Jeff

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:54 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · My thoughts on the RX100

As someone who handles a lot of fine watches, I have to say the RX100 is nicer than a $650 watch.

Pic with the NEX-7:

Aug 08, 2012 at 02:19 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · My thoughts on the RX100

I would have to disagree and say that main, and perhaps for many, only reason, to buy a $650 point and shoot camera is because it can fit into your pocket.

The IQ is good, but its not better than the latest m4/3, X100, X2, NEX etc

The lens is nice, but its really only on par with the kit zooms and hardly matches the likes of the m4/3 primes

Not to knock the camera at all, but frankly its no better than any of the low end m4/3 bodies with kit zoom, or a NEX with a kit zoom and at higher ISO's can't match the NEX5n at all.

Only thing that the RX100 does that is truly better than any of the other CSC options is that it fits into a pocket.

Your getting EPL3 w/ kit zoom IQ basically. Your paying twice as much for it but your gaining a camera that can fit into your pocket.

Its like a MacBook Air, hardly amazing performance for the cost, but your paying for that size premium.

I think the RX100 would be a silly purchase if your going to carry it around in a shoulder bag. If your willing to commit to carrying that external bag there are much, much better camera's you can buy for the same money.

I also can't really say I agree on the pride of ownership either. No one wants an ugly camera, and I'm sure thats why no one is buying that Pentax mirrorless, but to me, a point and shoot, even a $650 one, is nothing more than a consumer item and one that I'm going to keep for a year, maybe 2 at most, just like a laptop or other consumer electronics.

A fine watch is a lifetime purchase ideally. People may comment on your nice watch, I would be darn amazed if anyone ever comes up and compliments you on that style P&S camera your carrying.

I think its a bit silly myself, but I do know that some people wear a Leica around their neck as a bit of male jewelery. Its a prestige piece that can either show off how much money they have, or perhaps how advanced of photographer they must be. Most of course do it just so its handy to shoot, but we all know someone who loves the attention it draws right ?

Can't see a RX100 attracting that same response. Maybe the ladies might swoon when you talk about how your Leica is handmade, its century of tradition, its price tag and such, but what do you say about the Sony ? Its $650, in stock at Amazon and made by the people who made the Walkman ?

Reminds me a bit of that scene in Planes, Trains and Automobiles where Steve Martin trades his nice watch for a hotel room and then John Candy ties the same with the lines "Its a Casio....." lol

Also in regards to watches, one probably plans to keep it for a long time. I know I've had some 15+ years so far and they still work fine. How many people really still are going around shooting with some 8 year old 3 megapixel primative old point and shoots with 1.8" 140K LCD's you can hardly see, noisey at ISO200 sensors and such ?

Doesn't matter how well crafted it is, doesn't matter if the design stirs your soul, its hopelessly out of date and a majority of people who could afford better get something new.

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Everyone has their own value system/ expectation they overlay on top of whatever product they buy and various product qualities represent different values/ worth to all of us. For some it might be X dollars or so for actual practicality/ usefulness/ features and anything beyond that amount must be justified by other product qualities that might have little to do with actual usefulness (such as aesthetics, materials and whatever else might go into pride of ownership). So, for me, I often carry a $100 little Canon P&S (SD1300IS) which I have no problem tossing around and if something terrible
...Show more

Aug 08, 2012 at 02:39 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · My thoughts on the RX100

Jeff Kott wrote:
Tariq,

I'm a little confused by your last post. What other camera would you buy for $700 that would be as easy to carry as the RX100 and give comparable image quality?

Or are you saying that you don't value the size of the RX100?

Jeff

I'm just saying that I would not be putting this $700 bare camera in my pocket where it would get scratched up and so forth. With that being the case, it would be no different to actually carry around for me than a NEX-5 or some other compact APS/ m43 (many of which are more capable for the $). So it's a matter of the size not mattering given the higher cost since I would place too much value on the item to actually take advantage of it's size. Others might be fine with just tossing it around, getting it scratched up and so forth (and thereby taking advantage of the size). On the other hand, Jae is saying the build quality/ precision is very nice so that pushes a completely different "desire/want" button for me. Just a personal observation really.

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:34 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · My thoughts on the RX100

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I'm just saying that I would not be putting this $700 bare camera in my pocket where it would get scratched up and so forth. With that being the case, it would be no different to actually carry around for me than a NEX-5 or some other compact APS/ m43 (many of which are more capable for the $). So it's a matter of the size not mattering given the higher cost since I would place too much value on the item to actually take advantage of it's size. Others might be fine with just tossing it around, getting
...Show more

I'm pretty careful with my stuff and don't like scratches (especially on the LCD screen). But, I do often carry the RX100 in my front pants pocket - sometimes inside a $5 Promaster microfiber pouch which takes up no additional room. No scratches yet. My 5N plus any lens is too big for my pants pocket.

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:49 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · My thoughts on the RX100

millsart wrote:
Its like a MacBook Air, hardly amazing performance for the cost, but your paying for that size premium.

I think the RX100 would be a silly purchase if your going to carry it around in a shoulder bag. If your willing to commit to carrying that external bag there are much, much better camera's you can buy for the same money.

I also can't really say I agree on the pride of ownership either. No one wants an ugly camera, and I'm sure thats why no one is buying that Pentax mirrorless, but to me, a point and shoot, even a $650
...Show more

See, I don't put something like the Macbook Air into the general consumer, purpose driven only type of product category. I see it pushing a lot of other aesthetic/ pride of ownership buttons. Similarly, the cameras I mentioned earlier - Contax T2, Nikon Ti - also fit into that category. Great image quality/ small size...sure but they also have a design/aesthetic/ fine craftsmanship/ pride of ownership thing going on in a major way and I highly suspect Sony was aiming for something towards that direction as well with the RX100. On a side note, I also think we are getting very close to the point where a camera can last more than a few years before being massively superseded with regard to functionality/ capability. As that happens, some consumers will likely be more willing to spend a bit more on something that they plan on having around for a while that's made perhaps a bit nicer. Overly optimistic? Perhaps.

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:52 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · My thoughts on the RX100

Jeff Kott wrote:
I'm pretty careful with my stuff and don't like scratches (especially on the LCD screen). But, I do often carry the RX100 in my front pants pocket - sometimes inside a $5 Promaster microfiber pouch which takes up no additional room. No scratches yet. My 5N plus any lens is too big for my pants pocket.

That makes a lot of sense.

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:54 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · My thoughts on the RX100

FlyPenFly wrote:
The value proposition is the size and lens. It's kind of crazy they fit that into about the size of a S100.

I would have to say for me, the RX100 feels much nicer than a NEX-7 or any of the NEX cameras.

It feels more like the Zeiss ZA 24mm F1.8. Its about on the level of a unibody Macbook Pro or Air.

Actually, I would say this is a pretty good representation of its build quality.

Aug 09, 2012 at 06:22 AM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · My thoughts on the RX100

Tariq Gibran wrote:
For me to pay that much, it would have to take on the qualities of a fine watch and so forth because I know I could buy something much more capable for the same money which really would not be that different to carry (since I suspect most folks who buy the RX100 will not actually put this $700 camera in their pocket but will rather buy a nice case for it or carry it in the same small gadget bag a small NEX with one lens would fit into instead! I'm sure there are exceptions).

Mine goes in my jeans pocket. That is the MAIN reason I got it along side the IQ.

Aug 09, 2012 at 06:25 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · My thoughts on the RX100

Bifurcator wrote:
Does this camera shoot RAW or only jpegs?

Nice write-up BTW, thanks!

Pen-Fly too! TY!

thrice wrote:
Four image quality options:

RAW only
RAW+JPEG fine
JPEG fine
JPEG standard

In JPEG there are 3 resolutions: 20, 10 and 5 Megapixel, that setting will also adjust the JPEG in RAW+JPEG but not the RAW file.

Thanks Thrice!

--- --- --- --- --- ---
Feeling the build quality of a camera by holding it and using it is very difficult for me and from reading all the differences of opinion over the years I think it is for everyone - unless the product is vastly different.

I try to go by three things for cameras. 1) The materials used, 2) The skill and craftsmanship at using those materials, and 3) the camera shop twist-test!

#3 is where I walk into the shop pick up the demo (floor) model, grip it firmly at either end, and give it a nice (back and forth) twist. The returned tactile sensation, the noises, and the amount it actually twists tells me a lot. Then if I still wanna know more I wait for some bored rich guy to do a "drop test".

I dunno about this camera but Sony usually doesn't do too well in the twist and drop tests.

Aug 09, 2012 at 08:21 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.