New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · My thoughts on the RX100

DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My thoughts on the RX100

For anyone considering this as your catchall camera...

The good:

Since this is aimed at a group who want something small, this is small. Small enough to fit a pants pocket, and easily small enough to drop in a purse (although, I don't use it that way).

Build is adequate for the price point, but there are simple things that could be improved. The flash retraction (you push it down) feels like you might be breaking it, although you don't actually do so from about 100 tries so far. There is the typical battery and flash card compartment, and they are together again. Seems to be logical/preferred design for this type of P&S, but I don't care for that implementation of those things. This too feels a bit loosely fitted, though it does a decent job for its intended use. The body itself is pretty well done, although there are some edges that are not so perfect as you might expect. Nothing that I would bother to complain about, but noted that it's a little less than perfect. Lens and the accompanying ring do well and fell pretty solid.

Functions that are "unnecessary" abound. Funny filters, toy camera, T/S effects, B&W, Painted, etc.

In use the aperture (or shutter speed ring) works very well. The smooth operation is not something I find in the least offensive, but rather a good thing. It does an excellent job when manual focus is employed, allowing you to precisely hit the intended subject. When used to change aperture or SS, that sound effect comes in the form of a clicking sound. While this provides a pleasing audible confirmation, it is not needed as the dial position is shown nicely on the screen.

In the "auto" modes (AV, TV, P, etc), there is a very good implementation of the auto ISO. However, auto ISO is disabled in the M mode ?? Not sure why that would be, and it's frustrating. Additionally, there seems no way to set the lowest SS and highest ISO in these auto modes. That is almost unacceptable to me.

The more practical side of me likes things about the other aspects of the functions though. What camera allows you to interchange the aperture ring with the zoom and focus ring. Each of these settings can be assigned to the FN button and quickly accessed. I love this idea and its implementation. One other thing that this camera does well in its functionality is to give quick and accurate manual focus via a zoom and peaking functionality. This is great if you want to work quickly to achieve close focus or to get eyes sharp.

On the form of this camera, I have a few misgivings. Firstly, its a bit slick. Not as friendly as the LX5 for my hands (which are not big particularly), but does have a nice heft to it. The next thing is the shutter button. It is placed ok, but you have to "fiddle" to find it. I have applied a nice little vinyl cabinet door bump to make it more certain to use. The other thing that is not in its favor when it comes to its form, is the lens. It has too much out front, and this means that when you first turn on the camera, it gets out of balance. This is exacerbated by that missing shutter button and body form (or lack thereof). When you get it balanced in your hand, it is fine, but never really feels "right".

My overall conclusion about this camera is, for what it can do, its is worth working around the minor difficulties and niggles I found.

EDIT: Someone kindly pointed out that you can disable sound effects in the menus under the wrench icon > Audio Signals > OFF. Thanks for that help.

Here are some images with a selection for the purpose of showing it in varied circumstances. I will leave the exif so you can check them out. There are a couple where I intended to up the SS and get some action/sports shots with the AF tracking. You can probably pick those out.

ISO 3200 portrait in low light.

Portrait @100mm eq. and ISO 2000

B&W portrait (modified a little by me) at ISO 1250 and 100mm.

Shallow DOF at a narrow aperture?

Trying to focus between things - FULL shot.

…100% crop from that test.

Color reproduction is pretty accurate compared to what your eye sees.

Using the DRO in auto, you can reasonably get high/low lights to balance.

Using focus tracking at 100mm but only 1/125th. Decent.

High ISO, with "some" movement using focus tracking.

Details and close focus at wide aperture (f1.8).

CA is well controlled (see the distant trees), and difraction is minimal considering the lens limitations.

Last, capturing details against bright skies is done well. Not as well as with a 24-70 from Nikon, but not bad.

Not intending to be a pro review, but just sharing some thoughts and feelings I found with this camera.

Edited on Aug 07, 2012 at 10:10 PM · View previous versions

Aug 07, 2012 at 11:49 AM
millsart
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My thoughts on the RX100

DavidWEGS wrote:
The other thing that is not in its favor when it comes to its form, is the lens. It has too much out front, and this means that when you first turn on the camera, it gets out of balance. This is exacerbated by that missing shutter button and body form (or lack thereof). When you get it balanced in your hand, it is fine, but never really feels "right".

In regards to the size of the lens, would you rather give up range or speed to have it extend less far out of the camera body when powered on ? Or would you of preferred a thicker, and as such, less pocket friendly body size so that the lens would appear to extend less far outward ?

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:25 PM
alwang
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My thoughts on the RX100

Are you sure sound effects can't be disabled? I read elsewhere that they could. If they can't, I would find that pretty aggravating.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:33 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My thoughts on the RX100

They can be disabled.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:35 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My thoughts on the RX100

can't view the images full size to see the high-iso pics. my rx100 comes tomorrow or thursday and I will see its high iso soon enough.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:43 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My thoughts on the RX100

DavidWEGS wrote:
The body itself is pretty well done, although there are some edges that are not so perfect as you might expect. Nothing that I would bother to complain about, but noted that it's a little less than perfect. Lens and the accompanying ring do well and fell pretty solid.

Are you saying that some of the edges of the camera body have less than a perfect machining with rough spots or paint chips or what exactly ?

On mine every edge is perfectly smooth and very nicely machined and finished. Feels every bit like a high quality "made in Japan" product. As you describe yours, it sounds a bit more like a Chinese made Ebay knock off crafted as cheaply as possible from pot metal. As we know that shouldn't be the case, might be possible that you got a customer return that already got some wear and tear causing a few blemishes on the body, such as from a drop ?

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:12 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My thoughts on the RX100

The machining is perfect even on a macro lens. I don't see any imperfections even on the rounded corners which are extremely hard to machine correctly.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:17 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My thoughts on the RX100

I can find nits to pick at with any camera.

Is there a camera this size that you would recommend over the RX100? I don't think so.

The big picture (pun intended) with the RX100 is that it has unsurpassed image quality for a camera of its size and portability. There is no other pocket sized camera that compares to it at this point in time. Until someone comes out with a camera that competes with the RX100, I'll just deal with its minor foibles and not complain about them.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:51 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My thoughts on the RX100

FlyPenFly wrote:
The machining is perfect even on a macro lens. I don't see any imperfections even on the rounded corners which are extremely hard to machine correctly.

Thats why it sounds like I think he might of gotten one someone used and abused and then returned. Seems like a pretty sturdy camera but certainly could get some little dents and impressions into the finely machines edges if it was banged around a bit.

My Leica M9 certainly had its share of little dents on all its edges like that from the previous owner who carried it around on a neck strap.

Bottom line though is that the RX100, based upon every copy I've seen in person and online, should not look like that and I'd suggest a return/exchange to get one that really is new.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:52 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My thoughts on the RX100

millsart wrote:
In regards to the size of the lens, would you rather give up range or speed to have it extend less far out of the camera body when powered on ? Or would you of preferred a thicker, and as such, less pocket friendly body size so that the lens would appear to extend less far outward ?

Personally if it was an 85 on the long end, or even a 75, that would be fine.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:04 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My thoughts on the RX100

FlyPenFly wrote:
They can be disabled.

Where?

Thanks.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:04 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My thoughts on the RX100

In general it is fine, but the way the bottom fits into the casing seems oddly unfinished to me.

millsart wrote:
Are you saying that some of the edges of the camera body have less than a perfect machining with rough spots or paint chips or what exactly ?

On mine every edge is perfectly smooth and very nicely machined and finished. Feels every bit like a high quality "made in Japan" product. As you describe yours, it sounds a bit more like a Chinese made Ebay knock off crafted as cheaply as possible from pot metal. As we know that shouldn't be the case, might be possible that you got a customer return that already got some wear and tear causing
...Show more

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:06 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My thoughts on the RX100

Jeff Kott wrote:
I can find nits to pick at with any camera.

Is there a camera this size that you would recommend over the RX100? I don't think so.

The big picture (pun intended) with the RX100 is that it has unsurpassed image quality for a camera of its size and portability. There is no other pocket sized camera that compares to it at this point in time. Until someone comes out with a camera that competes with the RX100, I'll just deal with its minor foibles and not complain about them.

The intent was to share my thoughts, not cast a shadow on the RX100. After all, I have one and I am happy enough to keep it. :-)

Not sharing your thoughts seems like a disservice rather than one that allows a broader (and more inclusive) perspective on a product.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:08 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My thoughts on the RX100

timpdx wrote:
can't view the images full size to see the high-iso pics. my rx100 comes tomorrow or thursday and I will see its high iso soon enough.

Sorry, I did it for speed reasons. can will upload one here for you.

This one is 2000 iso and is the SOOC .jpg

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:13 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My thoughts on the RX100

Always good to hear both the good and bad thoughts on a product David.

Just seemed like you didn't give much attention to what most people care the most about, the overall image quality or the fact its got a 1" sensor and a 28-100mm lens large enough to cover that 1" sensor which they achieved f1.8 on the wide end on, or the White Magic LCD screen that you can actually view outdoors (big concern for many on a LCD only camera) or the fact that it can shoot 10fps even in RAW, or the excellent 1080 60p video with full manual control in a pocket sized camera etc

I just think most people would probably care more about those rather revolutionary aspects rather than emphasis how the battery door feels etc

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:14 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My thoughts on the RX100

And for the naysayers about the fit and finish…

As I said, its not bad, but just bit "off" if you know what I mean.

I may have one that was finished slightly different from yours?

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:17 PM
jotdeh
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · My thoughts on the RX100

millsart wrote:
I just think most people would probably care more about those rather revolutionary aspects rather than emphasis how the battery door feels etc

That's what can be read anywhere, most of it just from Sony's press release / promo material.
Personally I like to read this kind of information, as it does give me a better picture of the actual product, without holding it in hand myself. Now, ultimately if I consider any sort of equipment I like to try it myself first, of course.

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:16 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · My thoughts on the RX100

I recently wrote a review of it.

http://gearpatrol.com/2012/07/30/in-depth-sony-rx100/

You can mute it, just dig in the menus a bit more.

The biggest shortcoming for me was no clicks but it's kind of genius for video.

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:18 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · My thoughts on the RX100

Guess its too bad they couldn't of added a little button you can press in by the front dial to give it some detent clicks and then if you press it again it switches to smoothly spinning, that way the best of both worlds for things like manual focus and also aperture adjustments etc.

I was at first worried about the lack of any click detent click stops but given how the control wheel is pretty nicely damped I've had no issues with not being able to quickly make adjustments to EC and such.

Between the nice popup visualization on the LCD and the sound feedback, I can hardly
tell its missing them to be honest.

David, that finish does look a bit rough, like it was living in someones pocket along with keys and pocket change.

Just cosmetic obviously but doesn't give the impression of a factory fresh camera. When you first opened the box did it have the peel off plastic film over the LCD, the front of the lens and the top control dial ?

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:34 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · My thoughts on the RX100

millsart wrote:
David, that finish does look a bit rough, like it was living in someones pocket along with keys and pocket change.

Just cosmetic obviously but doesn't give the impression of a factory fresh camera. When you first opened the box did it have the peel off plastic film over the LCD, the front of the lens and the top control dial ?

Yes, it had the look of original packaging and nothing had been turned on from the lack of time info, that and the first image was 0001.jpg.

I don't mind it, but its a little less than "perfect". If it came this way, so be it. I am still super happy with its images.

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:16 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.