3       end

Archive 2012 · My thoughts on the RX100

DavidWEGS
[X]
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · My thoughts on the RX100

FlyPenFly wrote:
I recently wrote a review of it.

http://gearpatrol.com/2012/07/30/in-depth-sony-rx100/

You can mute it, just dig in the menus a bit more.

The biggest shortcoming for me was no clicks but it's kind of genius for video.

By this i assume you mean when used in conjunction with the zoom function? I am using it that way and like it better than that flimsy little trigger on the shutter button surround.

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:18 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · My thoughts on the RX100

DavidWEGS wrote:
.... like it better than that flimsy little trigger on the shutter button surround.

Dave, maybe it's just me, but your tone seems so negative. I think Millsart above stated it better than I did.

When you decided your impressions warranted a separate thread, maybe you should have just titled it "My RX100 Nitpick Thread."

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:45 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · My thoughts on the RX100

Jeff Kott wrote:
Dave, maybe it's just me, but your tone seems so negative. I think Millsart above stated it better than I did.

When you decided your impressions warranted a separate thread, maybe you should have just titled it "My RX100 Nitpick Thread."

Hmmm, its just you.

As a suggestion, if you don't care to read it, please feel free to ignore it. That's what I do if a thread is not very interesting.

Perhaps you could start a thread titled "Why I don't like people expressing their opinions, and why they should not post here".

Edited on Aug 07, 2012 at 05:01 PM · View previous versions

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:59 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · My thoughts on the RX100

Has anyone ever seen a compact P&S style camera with a zoom toggle lever that isn't "flimsy" ?? How would one really make such a thing in a solid substantial manner any better yet still have it serve the same form and function and not be big enough to snag on pockets etc ?

Dave, out of curiosity, what compact cameras are you comparing the RX100 too ? I have a LX5 as well and the battery door on that model isn't any better constructed, likewise on the Fuji X100, its again just plastic and with a tiny hinge.

Do you expect a Leica M style solid metal bottom plate or something ?

I've owned a bunch of compacts over the years the RX100 build equals or betters darn near all I've had.

Seems that you find so many aspects of the camera either "flimsy" , "off", "almost unacceptable" or "unnecessary" that I can't help wonder what scale your basing your judgements from.

All I know is that as much as I enjoy my RX100, and as well made as I personally thought it was, I'd sure love to get whatever compact camera actually really impresses you because that must be a heck of a camera!

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:00 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · My thoughts on the RX100

millsart wrote:
Has anyone ever seen a compact P&S style camera with a zoom toggle lever that isn't "flimsy" ?? How would one really make such a thing in a solid substantial manner any better yet still have it serve the same form and function and not be big enough to snag on pockets etc ?

I think the LX5's is better personally. Smoother less clicky/sandy feeling.

millsart wrote:
Dave, out of curiosity, what compact cameras are you comparing the RX100 too ? I have a LX5 as well and the battery door on that model isn't any better constructed, likewise on the Fuji X100, its again just plastic and with a tiny hinge.

I have the LX5 and 3. I have had the Canon S's, Nikon P7000, Canon G5 - 11. and some other fuji cameras to compare with. I did not pay so much for them and as such, don't expect too much more.

millsart wrote:
Do you expect a Leica M style solid metal bottom plate or something ?

Gosh, y'all are way up tight about my opinions. I just shared my thoughts, if you don't like them, don't read it.

millsart wrote:
I've owned a bunch of compacts over the years the RX100 build equals or betters darn near all I've had.

If you are happy, that is what counts. I shared my feelings about it. I have a valid point of view and no, its not the best in every respect.

millsart wrote:

Seems that you find so many aspects of the camera either "flimsy" , "off", "almost unacceptable" or "unnecessary" that I can't help wonder what scale your basing your judgements from.

All I know is that as much as I enjoy my RX100, and as well made as I personally thought it was, I'd sure love to get whatever compact camera actually really impresses you because that must be a heck of a camera!

Again, please feel free to skip this thread. I don't like bullies like you telling me that my opinions don't count because they differ from yours.

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:12 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · My thoughts on the RX100

DavidWEGS wrote:
Perhaps you could start a thread titled "Why I don't like people expressing their opinions, and why they should not post here".

I like it when people express their opinions and I also feel free to respond with my own.

Dave, in my opinion you are totally missing the forest for the trees on this camera.

With the RX100, Sony has shown that they are still the masters of putting sophisticated technology in an incredibly small package. What you don't seem to understand is that there are design trade offs that must be made to accomplish this.

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:17 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · My thoughts on the RX100

DavidWEGS wrote:
I think the LX5's is better personally. Smoother less clicky/sandy feeling.

I just sold my LX5. It's bigger than the RX100, has a smaller sensor and the IQ isn't as good.

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:20 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · My thoughts on the RX100

Jeff, his comment was about zoom toggle lever and not about the LX5 as a whole, so you have taken the comment a bit out of the context.

Overall I think it is useful feedback. Even though most of the issues mentioned don't bother me, its OK to spell them out. I agree that many of these are to be expected in a camera in this price range but good to know what the limitations are.

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:49 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · My thoughts on the RX100

Jeff Kott wrote:
I like it when people express their opinions and I also feel free to respond with my own.

Dave, in my opinion you are totally missing the forest for the trees on this camera.

With the RX100, Sony has shown that they are still the masters of putting sophisticated technology in an incredibly small package. What you don't seem to understand is that there are design trade offs that must be made to accomplish this.

I don't think I missed the point of the camera, which is why I purchased it.

I also did not miss the fact that some things were done in Sony's way, not Panny's or Nikon's etc. I just feel there are some things I liked, and other things not so much. Then I thought, it might be good to share these things for anyone else who is thinking about it. I think my thoughts were balanced and fair and from an someone whose glasses were not tinted rose shades.

Not every report on a camera is going to be with the mindset you have toward the technology. I buy camera's to USE them. I don't care what it represents in "a leap forward", for any reason other than how it affects my use of it.

As I said at the start, I just felt there were some things that could be a little better. When the Sony people look for feedback (and they do), this may help guide a more pleasing experience for their future endeavor in this realm. That would probably be a good thing.

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:52 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · My thoughts on the RX100

Jeff Kott wrote:
I just sold my LX5. It's bigger than the RX100, has a smaller sensor and the IQ isn't as good.

Just for grins:

I am not disparaging the RX100. I love it. However, the toggle that is the zoom button is not so nice on the RX100 as the LX5 IMO. That is it really. Please note: I mentioned that point, but also mentioned that you could (and I have) set the front ring as the zoom function, which means that toggle is of little importance to me in practical terms.

The IQ from the LX5 beats the RX100 hands down at 1cm though.. :-)

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:56 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · My thoughts on the RX100

OK, Nuff said.

We both own and like the camera and I guess I was nitpicking nits.

Cheers.

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:55 PM
kvuong

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · My thoughts on the RX100

The audio can be turned off by going into the 2nd page of the last tab (the wrench/spanner tool) in the menu. The last menu item on this page is for "audio signals". Complete silence

Aug 07, 2012 at 09:37 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · My thoughts on the RX100

kvuong wrote:
The audio can be turned off by going into the 2nd page of the last tab (the wrench/spanner tool) in the menu. The last menu item on this page is for "audio signals". Complete silence

Many Thanks. That really helps.

Aug 07, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · My thoughts on the RX100

Does this camera shoot RAW or only jpegs?

Nice write-up BTW, thanks!

Pen-Fly too! TY!

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:11 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · My thoughts on the RX100

Bifurcator wrote:
Does this camera shoot RAW or only jpegs?

Nice write-up BTW, thanks!

Pen-Fly too! TY!

Four image quality options:

RAW only
RAW+JPEG fine
JPEG fine
JPEG standard

In JPEG there are 3 resolutions: 20, 10 and 5 Megapixel, that setting will also adjust the JPEG in RAW+JPEG but not the RAW file.

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:46 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · My thoughts on the RX100

DavidWEGS wrote:
And for the naysayers about the fit and finish…

As I said, its not bad, but just bit "off" if you know what I mean.

I may have one that was finished slightly different from yours?

I think this is good feedback for a "posh" P&S and the sort of detail missing from other reviews as someone else mentioned. When I saw this shot of the bottom, I thought the criticism might have something to do with the huge gap between the bottom plate and the edge.

My question to those who own this camera, have any of you ever owned the Contax T2, a Minolta TC-1 or maybe one of the older Nikon Ti's? Is the fit and finish of this RX100 at that level? From everything I had seen until this thread, I sort of thought it might be in that league.

Aug 08, 2012 at 08:29 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · My thoughts on the RX100

No, its not exactly like a T2 or older Nikons but neither is anything else. Doesn't matter if its a Leica X2, Fuji Xpo, Panasonic LX/Leica Dlux series, you name it, modern camera's just have different builds, using different materials, and some different features such as LCD displays and buttons, built to far different economies of scale in this day and age.

However, the RX100 feels very nice and solid. Its by far the nicest point and shoot I've owned in the overall quality. Nice solid metal body, fantastic LCD, smooth well dampened control dial etc.

It basically feels like a NEX7 does in terms of build. The back control dial and buttons feel just like they came off the NEX series in fact. Now does a NEX7 have the fit and finish of a Nikon Ti ? No, because its a again a very different camera design and obviously Sony isn't going to use titanium these days and no one else is either, sort of a limited edition Leica M series to my knowledge.

The RX100 though does remind me of the overall concept behind cameras like the Ti series though, which is a nicely made, yet compact general photography camera.

If your buying the RX100 thinking your getting something just to hold and fondle like a fine watch or other bit of exceptional engineering you'll be disappointed.

Its a mass produced point and shoot camera here folks, and while "expensive" for a mass produced point and shoot, its still only $650.

Its MIJ which does tend to have a bit higher standards than the likes of China etc, but your not getting each one built by hand by master craftsmen to the highest standards of technical perfection.

Given how fast this market segment is going to explode as well, I hardly would expect anyone here to still be shooting one next year. I have no doubts the RX100 should still work quite nicely for a while, but when there is the RX200 with wider range lens, or a RX1000 which also includes a built in EVF, and who knows what Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic etc will all bring to the table. Few of us here in this thread at least will still be happy with the RX100, I know I won't.

So think of it this way, if you want the best true pocket compact on the market right now, and can justify spending $650 for a pocket camera that you may or may not use that often for your style and photographic needs, the RX100 is the one to get.

Aug 08, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · My thoughts on the RX100

Thanks for the feedback regarding build quality. I think the NEX-7 feels pretty solid myself (which is a LOT of camera for the $) but $650 for a P&S does not quite represent the same value/ capability proposition imo, particularly if the build quality is not really up there. "only" $650 + P&S + good though not incredible build does not compute for me personally though I know it makes a lot of sense for others. I think if it was weather resistant, it would make a lot more sense and the price would be more justifiable given it's probable use and purpose FOR ME.

Aug 08, 2012 at 11:33 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · My thoughts on the RX100

The value proposition is the size and lens. It's kind of crazy they fit that into about the size of a S100.

I would have to say for me, the RX100 feels much nicer than a NEX-7 or any of the NEX cameras.

It feels more like the Zeiss ZA 24mm F1.8. Its about on the level of a unibody Macbook Pro or Air.

Aug 08, 2012 at 11:46 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · My thoughts on the RX100

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Thanks for the feedback regarding build quality. I think the NEX-7 feels pretty solid myself (which is a LOT of camera for the $) but $650 for a P&S does not quite represent the same value/ capability proposition imo, particularly if the build quality is not really up there. "only" $650 + P&S + good though not incredible build does not compute for me personally though I know it makes a lot of sense for others. I think if it was weather resistant, it would make a lot more sense and the price would be more justifiable given it's
...Show more

Even if it were only $399, if you aren't really going to use it then its a waste of money. Heck, I could offer you one for $100 and again, if its just going to sit on your shelf because you've got no use for a true pocket camera, then you wasted $100 (no reselling for profit allowed )

Really though, I've got to ask how does the build quality equate to usefulness of the camera ?

Lets just pretend that its hand assembled, machined from a solid hunk of brass, and basically out Leica's a Leica, because lets face it, when you hold a M9 in your hand, it feels good, but it doesn't live quite up to the hyped up expectations either.

Lets just pretend that rather than going into pocket, that it should go onto pedestal in an art museum as a beautiful piece of modern metal sculpture, every line so perfectly flowing that people stare at it for hours on end.

How's that going to make it any more or less useful for what it was made to do, take pictures ?

I'm not trying to argue the usefulness of a pocket camera, for some they are useful, for others who only shoot with planned out intention, not so much. However, I'm not seeing how materials used really equates into that usefulness.

I obviously rather like the camera and I'm getting a lot of use out of it, far more than I shoot my NEX7, EM-5 and X100. I'm taking it places I would leave those behind and its just what I needed for a casual compact camera.

Between the larger sensor, fast AF, useful focal range thats quite fast on the wide end, very nice video ability and excellent LCD its everything I want/need in a camera and it slips into my pocket.

If it was made of plastic, aluminum or solid gold, none of that would change.

If you want a weather proof compact, then you need a weather proof compact. I've got a Panny TS and its great at what it does. Lots of fun on the beach, in the pool etc, zero worry and some unique shots. Not the best cameras for shooting on dry land though which I do 99.9% of the time as I live in the Midwest sadly.

Certainly no one wants anything thats poorly made and going to break right away, but I'm just not getting where some of you guys are coming from thinking a mass produced point and shoot that cost a mere $150 more than other models that have tiny little sensors should be made out of unobtainium.

If it was $3000 then yeah, I'd probably expect each and every part machines from exotic metals and hand fitted or precision fit, but its only $650.

Canon's G1x for example cost $800 and I don't see anyone making such a big deal of the construction.

Nikon's 1 series cameras also cost more, don't have the performance, and while what I considered well made, haven't seemed to attract this level of scrutiny.

Heck, take the "Leica" Dlux series; a Dlux-5, which is nothing more than a LX5 cost over $800 new and what did you get ? A red dot on the camera and a copy of a $99 software title.

Just don't seeing what all the fuss is about the RX100's build

Aug 08, 2012 at 12:03 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.